macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cjadams

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by cjadams »

I have noticed that in some programs so far tested in Cinema 4d and in Zbrush 2020.5 that the shift/ctrl/etc modifier keys are NOT being passed to the programs.. Anyone else confirm?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

konrad_a wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:19 pm When you say "CadMouse support over Universal Receiver is not available on macOS 11 and we cannot address this limitation" does it mean it will never be supported or that you cannot address it temporarily?
As far as we can tell, CadMouse over Universal Receiver support will not be available on macOS 11. We recommend using wireless CadMouse devices over Bluetooth.

Note that SpaceMouse types are expected to work well over Universal Receiver.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 pm I have noticed that in some programs so far tested in Cinema 4d and in Zbrush 2020.5 that the shift/ctrl/etc modifier keys are NOT being passed to the programs.. Anyone else confirm?
Is this when a 2D mouse action is assigned to a button? If so, it is a known issue. We do not have a projection when we can address it.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

no ...this is simply using the shift ctrl alt buttons

if i press and hold the shift button on the space mouse Ent. to multi select things or to swap to smooth brush in zbrush for example. Keyboard buttons work fine but the space mouse isn't passing on the modifier buttons to the programs.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:10 am no ...this is simply using the shift ctrl alt buttons

if i press and hold the shift button on the space mouse Ent. to multi select things or to swap to smooth brush in zbrush for example. Keyboard buttons work fine but the space mouse isn't passing on the modifier buttons to the programs.
Understood. Keyboard actions like Esc, Enter and Tab work as expected but not the modifiers (Shift, Ctrl, Cmd).

We aim to address that before the "beta" ends. Note that, although similar, the issue affecting 2D mouse actions with modifiers is a different problem altogether.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ok just checking can you confirm the ctrl shift etc issue? is it not just me?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:37 am ok just checking can you confirm the ctrl shift etc issue? is it not just me?
Most definitely not just you: it's a known issue and we can see it. The emulation of modifier keys is broken.

In macOS 10.15 and older, we relied on a kernel extension (kext) to implement this feature (key emulation). We're looking for a replacement that works not only with regular keys but also with modifier keys (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd).
Jamoran

Post by Jamoran »

On my new iMac (2020) the SpaceMouse wireless does not work anymore. Cable connection is ok but not wireless, which is very disappointing. It was such a helpful tool in the past and I want it back :-) please.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Jamoran,
Jamoran wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am On my new iMac (2020) the SpaceMouse wireless does not work anymore. Cable connection is ok but not wireless
Do you have a CadMouse pairing in your Universal Receiver (the USB dongle)? If so, try removing it and then restart your Mac.

We're trying to pin down this sort of reports. Customers are telling us the "SpaceMouse Wireless" does not work. For some, re-pairing device will address the issue but we cannot explain why. We suspect in some macOS 11 installations, the driver daemon ("3DconnexionHelper") is not allowed to access a Universal Receiver that has a CadMouse pairing. Perhaps the user did not approve the "key logging" or "accessibility" authorisation requests (also needed to emulate keyboard and mouse actions).
Jamoran

Post by Jamoran »

Hi ngomes
I do not use a CadMouse but a SpaceMouse and yes it is paired with a USB dongle. It is a complete new installation without any connection to the dongle (wired connection is ok). How can I do the re-pairing? Reinstalling the drivers again?
Jamoran

Post by Jamoran »

Hi ngomes
Thanks for your inspiration. After deinstallation of SpaceMouse drivers, restart of iMac, new installation of the newest drivers (10.7.0r3278) and a final restart everything was ok again. Super! Thanks again.
RodMaxwell

Post by RodMaxwell »

Hi All,
I just purchased the SpaceMouse Pro (Corded) to use it with the new version of ZBrush (2021.5). It works beautifully on my PC, but this beta version doesn't seem to have any presets for ZBrush. Even the "Control, ALT, Shift" generic presets don't seem to work in ZBrush.
Thanks,
Rod
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Jamoran wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:52 pm After deinstallation of SpaceMouse drivers, restart of iMac, new installation of the newest drivers (10.7.0r3278) and a final restart everything was ok again.
Good to know the issue was resolved but can you tell what version of the driver you were using before installing the latest beta?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RodMaxwell wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:58 pm Even the "Control, ALT, Shift" generic presets don't seem to work in ZBrush.
There's a known issue in "beta 9" (revision r3278) and older that causes keystroke actions with modifier keys (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd) to not work in macOS 11. We expect to have this resolved in "beta 10". A similar issue affecting "2D Mouse" action remains pending.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Awesome thats great.... any target timeframe on Beta 10?