macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

gobluejd

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by gobluejd »

I am not sure modifiers for Fusion where included for this new beta version, but I installed and still have same issue. (I am not complaining, just notifying).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexon has released "beta 12" (revision r3291) of the new driver for macOS. The "beta" builds can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

We believe we have fixed a problem (MAC-269) affecting the use of wireless SpaceMouse over a dongle (the mouse pointer would move to the edge of this display.

Modifier keys can now be used with mouse buttons (MAC-268) but the same limitations apply as before (the modifier key emulation is limited compared with the solution for macOS 10.15 and older).

The plugin for Maya includes a set of changes aiming to improve both stability and the "flickering" issue reported by some.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 am well. so far.. it runs.. which is good... modifiers seems to work in Mac Finder.. but still as of this version do not in zbrush.etc.
The issue with modifiers not working in ZBrush and other application like SketchUp remains unresolved. It will take quite sometime (we estimate months, not weeks) to develop a solution that can approach the experience on macOS 10.15 and older.
It would really be helpful if you guys would also update the 1st post last note on the is December release. ..could really use proper release notes from the devs as to what changed.
zoomer wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 pm^ I agree.
This is done (details in my post just above).

Our apologies for the delay. It took us a while to get the software published and communication didn't flow as it normally does.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

gobluejd wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:23 pm I am not sure modifiers for Fusion where included for this new beta version, but I installed and still have same issue. (I am not complaining, just notifying).
The "beta 12" software was built after you reported the issue with the modifiers on Fusion 360.

We had one of us look into your report. We can't reproduce what you're seeing but we're currently putting it down to a loosely-defined scenario.

Apparently, we cannot see any action from a "Cmd+Control+m" action regardless if using a SpaceMouse or the keyboard.

When we try using something like "Cmd+Control+f", we see the same action being activated whether using a SpaceMouse or keyboard.

We'd appreciate if you could tell us more precisely what's the action you're trying to run (how do you program, how it is assigned to a SpaceMouse button, etc).
gobluejd

Post by gobluejd »

After trying again, it does it, but it does a bunch of other things before initiating command. For example, I have this set up to create a PLANE. It does it, but after several commands are run in background.

See images and video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iihxbzmeqlpx ... h62Sa?dl=0
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

gobluejd wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 pm See images and video here:

Thank you for taking the time to create and share the video and screen shots. I see you're using the macro from a Radial Menu, not a device button.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

I installed the latest beta driver this morning. Sorry to report that it didn't change anything in Maya. The viewport glitches and crashes are still happening.
I don't notice a difference compared to yesterday with the previous driver.
It's time to roll the dice...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:34 am I installed the latest beta driver this morning. Sorry to report that it didn't change anything in Maya. The viewport glitches and crashes are still happening.
This is unexpected. If you can, please try to uninstall the driver, reboot, check the "3Dconnexion" pane is gone from System Preferences and then re-install "beta 12" (note the "r3291" reference in the dmg file name). After that start Maya and check if the problem is still present.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

I installed it over the existing driver before. I just uninstalled it. Rebooted, checked and the pane in the System Preferences was gone. Installed the r3291 driver again and rebooted.
The result is the same. The viewport behaviour is still the same as you can see in the video.
Viewport settings don't seem to matter, switching "beauty options" on and off doesn't change the behaviour, and it happens in all viewport modes, from wireframe to the most intensive textured and lit options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIhv7ZtjMQ
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:59 am The result is the same. The viewport behaviour is still the same as you can see in the video.
[...]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnIhv7ZtjMQ
Thank you for taking the time to going through the reinstallation and for sharing the video. This is very much appreciated.

We're analysing the video.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

My pleasure. Anything I can do to help :)
And thanks to you and the team for actively looking into our issues and updating us on the progress :)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

RVeldhuyzen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:05 am My pleasure. Anything I can do to help :)
And thanks to you and the team for actively looking into our issues and updating us on the progress :)
About progress and as mentioned in the other topic, we're tracking the instabilities in Maya with reference "MAC-275".
gobluejd

Post by gobluejd »

ngomes wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:15 pm
gobluejd wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 pm See images and video here:

Thank you for taking the time to create and share the video and screen shots. I see you're using the macro from a Radial Menu, not a device button.
Does this make a difference? I mean can you still look into?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

gobluejd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:33 am Does this make a difference? I mean can you still look into?
It was very useful, yes. Thank you. The issue is related to the macro creation, not the Radial Menu.

We're tracking the problem as MAC-280 but note that we have not yet confirmed if this is yet another side-effect of the modifier key emulation limitations.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is that everybody in the industry knew this change about kexts was coming.

Apple must've had a plan for how this would've impacted developers...

What is the holdup? Is this a lack of resources on your end... lack of programmers or lack of knowledge of what Apple's chosen work around is?

Though I suppose it is possible that Apple's courses never saw this particular use case. i would think every 3rd party controller / joystick / macro sensing hardware would be effected. Is steamdeck? or various other hardware companies effected?

I mean none of this was out of the blue why is it only being dealt with now!

You sell one product pretty much you would think that you would've had this ready close to day one if you are part of the Apple''s os beta group. That's the whole point of getting pre-release os's no?

While i appreciate how open you are being..,i still have to ask why you waited months and now we have to wait even more weeks and months for what should have been started during Big Sur beta last summer...?