macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

MrsspookyPooky wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm I just bought a SpaceMouse Compact and I now have a blue-lit paperweight because the beta driver that's out now does not work at all for my applications.
The current beta build ("beta 14") is close to be the first official 10.7.0 release.

What seems to be the problem with your applications?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjtiedeman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm When the control panel opened it was paired. I did not do anything. See screen image.
If you see this behaviour again, please check if the process "3DconnexionHelper" is running (Activity Monitor can give you this information). The "3DconnexionHelper" is the driver daemon, a user-mode application running headless.

We have reports of the daemon being terminated after the first reboot following an installation but we haven't been able to get a reproducible scenario.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

FabLab RUC wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:16 pm Now the scroll wheel in a new and unstable way. If I scroll fairly slow it behaves as I would expect, but speed up and suddenly the scroll doesn't stop when your finger stop but keeps going at full speed endlessly or until the it reaches some end og page.
Perhaps you have the "Smart Scrolling" option enabled? This option can be set in the "3Dconnexion" pane of the System Preferences. See the screen shot below (notice the check box below the speed slider under the CadMouse image).
smart_scrolling.png
smart_scrolling.png (161.4 KiB) Viewed 17231 times
MrsspookyPooky

Post by MrsspookyPooky »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:19 am
MrsspookyPooky wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:26 pm I just bought a SpaceMouse Compact and I now have a blue-lit paperweight because the beta driver that's out now does not work at all for my applications.
The current beta build ("beta 14") is close to be the first official 10.7.0 release.

What seems to be the problem with your applications?
There is no response, like the SpaceMouse isn't there. Firestorm and Google Earth (the app) don't respond at all. Google Earth on the web - has a vague response.

The only thing that does work is being able to zoom in and out on web pages in Safari.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

MrsspookyPooky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:24 am There is no response, like the SpaceMouse isn't there. Firestorm and Google Earth (the app) don't respond at all. Google Earth on the web - has a vague response.
Can you check if the demos in the "About" tab of the "3Dconnexion" pane in the System Preferences work in your system?

Google Earth is a known issue: we can see a performance degradation that renders the SpaceMouse useless for all intended purposes. We have no currnt path to move forward, this is to say we don't know if this can be fixed.

Firestorm (Second Life) is not an application we're tracking.
Darcsyde

Post by Darcsyde »

ngomes wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:34 am
Darcsyde wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:07 am I keep getting the message, "Click on Allow in Security and Privacy" but there's not even a section where 3DConnexion S.A.M. is showing..
See if this helps.

Specifically:
Note: This message will be displayed only for 30 min. Each time the extension is tried to be loaded (but was not yet allowed) – for example after a reboot – the user will see this note appearing here again for another 30 min, but no visual warning dialog, like in picture 2 will be given.
You can reach to our technical support team (contacts here).

Thanks for the link, but like I said, the message doesn’t show in my Security and Privacy section doesn’t show any message with an ‘allow’ button... even right after a reboot and the warning poops right up... I’ll reboot and try again, but I doubt it’ll be different as I’ve rebooted several times already....
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Darcsyde wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:21 am Thanks for the link, but like I said, the message doesn’t show in my Security and Privacy section doesn’t show any message with an ‘allow’ button... even right after a reboot and the warning poops right up... I’ll reboot and try again, but I doubt it’ll be different as I’ve rebooted several times already....
If it does not show, then you may have to cycle the driver installation (uninstall, reboot, install, reboot) and try again.

This behaviour is imposed by the system. There's only a 30min window to approve the extension. After that, the system may not show it again until it determines to be a newly-installed extension.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:22 am
rjtiedeman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm When the control panel opened it was paired. I did not do anything. See screen image.
If you see this behaviour again, please check if the process "3DconnexionHelper" is running (Activity Monitor can give you this information). The "3DconnexionHelper" is the driver daemon, a user-mode application running headless.

We have reports of the daemon being terminated after the first reboot following an installation but we haven't been able to get a reproducible scenario.
You are right. Last night it was working after the re-install. Today it's not working at all. Activity monitor is not showing the 3DconnexionHelper running. when you go to "ADD DEVICE and delete the non-working device I get "Paring Failed". In Users and groups I can see that the 3Dhelper is listed but not showing in activity monitor. It clearly is NOT working.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjtiedeman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:55 pm Last night it was working after the re-install. Today it's not working at all. Activity monitor is not showing the 3DconnexionHelper running.
And you if reboot once more, does the "3DconnexionHelper" daemon comes up?

This is only an educated guess but the issue appears to be getting the system to validate the software (notarisation check) after the first reboot. It may be that some systems do not have an Internet connection (for whatever reason) as soon as the system is rebooted and it then fails to call home to make the required security checks. Again, this currently just a theory of why you're seeing a problem whilst others do not.
MrsspookyPooky

Post by MrsspookyPooky »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:53 am
MrsspookyPooky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:24 am There is no response, like the SpaceMouse isn't there. Firestorm and Google Earth (the app) don't respond at all. Google Earth on the web - has a vague response.
Can you check if the demos in the "About" tab of the "3Dconnexion" pane in the System Preferences work in your system?

Google Earth is a known issue: we can see a performance degradation that renders the SpaceMouse useless for all intended purposes. We have no currnt path to move forward, this is to say we don't know if this can be fixed.

Firestorm (Second Life) is not an application we're tracking.
Ok thanks much for the response, it was most helpful. I'll be returning it as Firestorm was the entire reason I bought it.
KlausEngel

Post by KlausEngel »

Two problems persist in this latest beta (3295) for SpaceNavigator:
1. Keystroke Mappings "Press and Hold" do not work
2. LEDs are off after computer sleep.
KlausEngel

Post by KlausEngel »

two issues remain for SpaceNavigator with version 3295:
1. Key Mappings "Press and Hold" do not work - key is not held
2. LEDs remain off after computer sleep with "Enable LEDs" checked

Mac Pro 2013, Big Sur 11.2.1
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

ngomes wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:13 am
rjtiedeman wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:55 pm Last night it was working after the re-install. Today it's not working at all. Activity monitor is not showing the 3DconnexionHelper running.
And you if reboot once more, does the "3DconnexionHelper" daemon comes up?

This is only an educated guess but the issue appears to be getting the system to validate the software (notarisation check) after the first reboot. It may be that some systems do not have an Internet connection (for whatever reason) as soon as the system is rebooted and it then fails to call home to make the required security checks. Again, this currently just a theory of why you're seeing a problem whilst others do not.
Yes. After a shut down and a PRAM -re-start my 3dspacemouse is working as before. Strangely the device shows in main control window but not in paring.
Does not work with your trainer past step 4 and Vectorworks works for a time if you turn on OpenGL viewing NOT wireframe viewing.
Attachments
No device shows in paring window.jpg
No device shows in paring window.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 17099 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjtiedeman wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:45 pm Strangely the device shows in main control window but not in paring.
This is indeed strange but perhaps not entirely unexpected considered that the "3DconnexionHelper" has issues running in your system.

Can you please check if your SpaceMouse is connected using a cable?
Does not work with your trainer past step 4 and Vectorworks works for a time if you turn on OpenGL viewing NOT wireframe viewing.
We can't reproduce the issue in step 4. We don't know why you're seeing this. It looks as if "rotations" were disabled in the configuration for the trainer application.

For VectorWorks, we did detect an issue in the earlier betas that was resolved. Since then, we have been unable to reproduce what you reported but we are continuing the investigation since we cannot rule out the earlier fix may have been only partial.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

KlausEngel wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:52 am 1. Keystroke Mappings "Press and Hold" do not work
We are aware of limitation with the current key emulation feature, particularly what concerns modifiers keys (Shift, Control, Config, Cmd).

If you just state "do not work", we can't tell if the issue you're are looking at is a known problem or otherwise. If you can, please give us a few more details of what you are trying to do.
2. LEDs are off after computer sleep.
The LEDs should turn off when the computer goes to sleep and continue to stay off until the user touches the sensor cap after returning the machine from sleep. There are differences in the operation of LEDs depending on the device being connected wirelessly or by a USB cable.