macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

carbon60

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by carbon60 »

I must really be doing something wrong. Just unboxed a SpaceMouse Wireless Kit 2, drove over to my buddy's place to upgrade the firmware on the devices using his Window's PC, installed the beta drivers, and plugged everything into my MacBook Pro. The CADmouse Compact Wireless seems to work fine, but the Spacemouse Compact does not. Using the trainer, trying any movement throws the mouse pointer into the corner of the screen and the teapot doesn't move at all.

macOS Version: 11.2.2

Help?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:13 pm Maybe a temporary solution could be that on the "Radial Menus" "Mapping" one could just use "Type keystroke" (instead of run macro)
Yes, users can assign "keystroke" actions to a Radial Menu button. As far as we can see, using "macros" with a "keystroke" action (where the modifier and the key emulation are on the same line) should work as expected.

You may want to go back and see what happens when you create macro with a single "keystroke" action. See screenshot below.

The only major limitation that we have is the emulation of single modifier emulation. For example, when pressing the "Cmd" keys causes an action in the application. This is a feature available in macOS 10.15 and older but not yet on our driver for macOS 11.
Attachments
cmd_left_arrow_macro.png
cmd_left_arrow_macro.png (122.26 KiB) Viewed 18437 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

carbon60 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm The CADmouse Compact Wireless seems to work fine, but the Spacemouse Compact does not. Using the trainer, trying any movement throws the mouse pointer into the corner of the screen and the teapot doesn't move at all.
macOS Version: 11.2.2
That scenario means the system is using the 3D mouse data, not the driver. Check if the "3DconnexionHelper" process is listed in "Activity Monitor" and let us know if you find it or not. Then restart your system and if the mouse pointer still moves the mouse pointer (it shouldn't).

Our daemon does a "exclusive" grab of the device precisely to prevent that system behaviour. We don't know why macOS uses 3D mouse data to move the mouse pointer. The 3D mouse is a HID "multi-axis controller" device, not a mouse or pointer device.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 am Yes, users can assign "keystroke" actions to a Radial Menu button. As far as we can see, using "macros" with a "keystroke" action (where the modifier and the key emulation are on the same line) should work as expected.
None of my macros are working. Even when the modifier key and the key emulation are on the same line. Only single letter keystrokes macros work on the Radial Menu.
ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 am You may want to go back and see what happens when you create macro with a single "keystroke" action. See screenshot below.
Most of my macros are a single "keystroke" action but none of them work when these are called either directly through a button or through the Radial Menu.
ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 am The only major limitation that we have is the emulation of single modifier emulation. For example, when pressing the "Cmd" keys causes an action in the application. This is a feature available in macOS 10.15 and older but not yet on our driver for macOS 11.
This is not a problem for me as I have no macro that only uses a single modifier key. All of my macros are a combination of a modifier key (or a couple of modifiers keys) combined with a normal key (letter or number).

Once again, I drop this post from a previous user which explains my situation perfectly:
simon.djin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm * Macro commands wherever they are assigned directly to a button or executed via the radial menu do not work when they contain keystrokes. I have tested it with keystrokes modifiers like cmd for example, with a « finder » configuration and « cinema4d R23 » configuration also. « « « Text » macro commands work perfectly in Cinema4d for example. The keystrokes with modifiers keys like cmd also work when they are directly assigned to a button or executed via the radial menu BUT not when they are part from a macro action.
Rob Lloyd

Post by Rob Lloyd »

Hi

Im just catching up with this thread as I have some issues with my Space Navigator.

I use 2 main piece of software, Vectorworks and Capture Visualisation. In Capture all of the axes work as I would expect, in Vectorworks I have no spin, roll or tilt. This is also the same for the 'trainer' with the teapot. Also I get the random jittering and zoom in/out that has been reported by other users.

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.2, 2018 15" MacBook pro.

Space Navigator firmware 4.27, 3DxWare10, 3DxMacCore V1.2.0 (100), 3DxWare V10.7.0 (3295).

Thanks, Rob.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Rob Lloyd wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm in Vectorworks I have no spin, roll or tilt. This is also the same for the 'trainer' with the teapot.
Rotations should work in both of those. Perhaps you have disabled them in the driver configuration? Check the applications' settings in the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences.

Note that we are tracking an issue with Vectorworks that causes the model to suddenly "jump" off view (MAC-268).
briwil

Post by briwil »

Any updates on when we can expect the new driver? I dropped $300 recently on the Pro only to have it sit around for the past few weeks as a paperweight while I wait around to be able to use all the buttons in ZBrush.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

Rob Lloyd wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm in Vectorworks I have no spin, roll or tilt. This is also the same for the 'trainer' with the teapot. Also I get the random jittering and zoom in/out that has been reported by other users.
Please report this on the Vectorworks user forums too because it seems like some of these problems are to do with Big Sur and the 3Dconnexion driver, and some might be to do with Vectorworks. Vectorworks needs to be trying to sort this stuff out as well as 3dC.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Old original USB Space Navigator works fine here for me
with Big Sur on Apple Silicon M1 Mac Mini.
All Axis available, even the most important : Lock Horizon works.

Although there are issues as VW is not really able to calculate the
the Rotation Center the same way as it works with CTRL+MMB Mouse
"Flyover" functionality, at least in Orthogonal Views.
VW generally works better with Space Navigators in Helicopter or
Fly Modes and perspective Viewports, vs offering their standard mouse
view navigation behavior.
Also there is that loss of VW specific Commands each September with
VW Version upgrades, where you may need to edit all 3DCon Pref or XML
and change the version numbers to the new Version to get your VW
commands back.
(Each year I forget how to to and did not bother to repair this year.
Luckily I had a clean installation on my new M1 Mini, so it was there (?))

(At least I think they gave up on mirroring Navigator Axes between Orthogonal
vs Perspective Views in VW 2021 (?).
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

BTW,
all my other Apps work basically great with 3DConnexion devices,
(Beside from current OS and Driver isuues)
Just C4D in general, and Bricscad in Mac Version(!), not offering "Lock Horizon"
and having unfamiliar Trackball Rotation instead, is really annoying.

VW starting with and 3DConnexion Enterprise Demo Devices and a great
App specific Command Library, including Display Icons, was absolutely great
(Windows only of course)
But as usual VW stagnated and does not touch 3DConnexion issues with
VW upgrade problems or general UX experience anymore.
Rob Lloyd

Post by Rob Lloyd »

ngomes wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:29 pm
Rob Lloyd wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:36 pm in Vectorworks I have no spin, roll or tilt. This is also the same for the 'trainer' with the teapot.
Rotations should work in both of those. Perhaps you have disabled them in the driver configuration? Check the applications' settings in the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences.

Note that we are tracking an issue with Vectorworks that causes the model to suddenly "jump" off view (MAC-268).
Thanks for the reply. So it all now appears to be working. I noticed that in my applications it just said 'Vectorworks', so I added Vectorworks 2021 as application and hey presto it works a treat.

User error on my part, thought it was worth sharing incase someone else encounters the same problem.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

At the moment things like c4d and such work as expected.. Things like Zbrush.. navigation works but the modifyer keys do not.. which i guess is expected.. hope this gets fixed.. HOWEVER
Both Lychee Slicer and ChituBox for 3d printing DO NOTHING! - Their devs mentioned in their respective docs that this SHOULD work.. I suspect its due to the 3dx driver? Unless they are doing something weird..

Can @ngomes Can you shed any light on this perhaps? or Have you guys reached out? These are very popular slicers.. along with for example the 3rd common one is Cura slicer...

This disconnect is really maddening!
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Something strange happens in Safari:
When I have many tabs opened and I scroll (with the wheel) through them, as soon as I move the cursor on the webpage that's opened under the tabs bar, the previous wheel scrolling is performed on the webpage. This doesn't happens if smart scroll is disabled.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I have smart scroll enabled for Safari,
never have seen that behavior.
(M1 Mac Mini, Big Sur 11.3 PB)

Just the strangeness with CMD key usage ....
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:55 pm Both Lychee Slicer and ChituBox for 3d printing DO NOTHING! - Their devs mentioned in their respective docs that this SHOULD work.. I suspect its due to the 3dx driver? Unless they are doing something weird..

Can @ngomes Can you shed any light on this perhaps? or Have you guys reached out? These are very popular slicers.. along with for example the 3rd common one is Cura slicer...
As far as I'm aware, 3Dconnexion is not in touch with the developers of Lychee Slicer and ChituBox. In fact, I didn't know these applications supported 3Dconnexion products and, as such, I don't know if the developers are using our driver APIs or if they use system interfaces (like Second Life/Firestorm).

Have you contacted the developers of the applications? As a customer, you have far more leverage than any of us at 3Dconnexion.