macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mrtimmer

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by mrtimmer »

2017 intel iMac with Sketchup pro 2021, after a year of waiting upgraded to Big Sur. Uninstalled 3dx driver and installed Beta driver. Mouse would operate for a few minutes then disconnect, menu buttons work on space mouse still. Unable to quit Sketchup so would force quit and restart. This cycle went on for several days. I tried some of the hacks mentioned, but ultimately unsuccessful. Reinstalled OS X 10.15.7 and life is better. Would love to use some of the features of Big Sur or Monterey. Would love to see this issue resolved for Mac users
prespino

Re: macOS Big Sur - Controlador beta disponible

Post by prespino »

Llevo más de un año sin poder utilizar el SpaceMouse Wireless con mi principal software de diseño 3Design CAD (para diseño de joyas de Gravotech). No funciona ni en MacOS 11 (Big Sur) ni en MacOS 12 (Monterrey), pero antes de Big Sur todo era perfecto. ¿Qué está pasando?
Gracias.
ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Controlador beta disponible

Post by ngomes »

prespino wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:57 pm Llevo más de un año sin poder utilizar el SpaceMouse Wireless con mi principal software de diseño 3Design CAD (para diseño de joyas de Gravotech).
We had to modify the transportation protocol to work around some of the restrictions introduced with macOS 11. In some instances, the vendor had to make changes to the application to restore operation.

We suggest sending a note to Gravotech asking them to have a look. We're available to work with the vendor to sort this our just as we did with others.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

Hi again,

As an update to my earlier post, I have upgraded the 3DConnexion driver to the latest version, but left everything else on my system the same (a) to reduce the impact to only having to role back the driver if there was an issue and (b) to minimise the "moving pieces" to aid diagnosis of any problems.

I am now experiencing an issue where Sketchup will loose connection with the wireless SpaceMouse after a period of time. There doesn't seem to be a fixed period or any particulate reason (e.g. no set of sequences) but it is definitely new behaviour. When the system exhibits this behaviour, if I go into the "3DConnexion->Tools->Demos" from System Preferences the SpaceMouse is still connected and working, so it appears as though something disconnects between Sketchup and the driver.

System Information.
SketchupPro 2021 Version 21.0.338
MacOS version 10.15.7 (19H1419)
Model iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

SpaceMouse Wireless Receiver Firmware: 4.38
3DxWare 10
3DxMacCore version: 1.2.0.252(252)
3DxWare version: 10.7.0(3386)

As I say, everything was working fine before I upgraded the 3DConnexion driver / software. No OS or Sketchup change.

I hope that is useful, but f you need any further information or analysis, please let me know as time is running out before I am forced to move up to BigSur.

Thanks
Holliers wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:24 pm Thank you for taking the time to respond.
ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:51 am
Holliers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 am (1) is it possible to get a list of the "known issues" for the current version of the beta release, so that I can make a decision about whether I can take a calculated risk and update the 3DConnexion driver?
We're currently tracking three issues: MAC-318 (Cinema 4D R25 does not work on M1 machines), MAC-323 (Onshape stops working after a few minutes of use) and MAC-324 (wireless CadMouse middle mouse button does not close tab in Microsoft Edge). MAC-323 and MAC-324 are regressions in "beta 20" (bugs were not present in the previous beta).
MAC-323 should be fixed (we're currently verifying the correction) and MAC-318 and MAC-324 are currently being investigated. We have not yet determined whether MAC-318 is a problem in the application or the driver.
Thanks for this. The summary is really useful. As an Intel Mac, Sketch-up User with a wireless SpaceMouse, the risks to upgrading sound low. I'll keep an eye on the progress of Beta 20. Hopefully you will be in full release when I am forced into an operating system update in January, but if not the risks sound marginal.
Holliers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 am (2) is it possible that you could release an "official driver" with certain products "unsupported" (software and hardware), allowing at least a portion of your users to upgrade?
The official driver, version 10.7.0, will be made available to support the same products as before. The only limitations will be the operating system version (macOS 10.15 and newer) and dropping support for CadMouse paired over a Universal Receiver. We don't expect any other issues.
OK, that is at least clear. Thanks.
Holliers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 am (3) what is your estimated timeline for releasing the final driver (what is the date you report to your bosses ... if they ask)?
I don't have a date to share publicly but our plan was to have "beta 20" as the last public beta release. So, the official release is well overdue.
OK
Holliers wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 am (4) is it possible for your company to allocate more resources to this endeavour. Having spent good money on 3DConnexion hardware I do feel slightly let down by the company (not R&D) with the time taken to get an updated driver in place (I appreciate this may be out of your control so perhaps you could pass on or direct this question).
Well, I'm one of the engineers but consider the following: 3Dconnexion has some of us directly engaging with customers in this Forum. It says something for a company that is willing to show how difficult some projects can be and to support customers to the best of our ability.
Agreed. The communication on this forum is really good, and you guys certainly do engage with the users even when the news may not be the best news. I'm not doubting the commitment of the team or the complexity of the work, just trying to share perspectives from the users end.

Thanks again for the useful information. Keep going ;-)
dsveInc

Post by dsveInc »

Hello,

where can we track those "issues"? Especially MAC-318.
  • MAC-318 (Cinema 4D R25 does not work on M1 machines)
  • MAC-323 (Onshape stops working after a few minutes of use)
  • MAC-324 (wireless CadMouse middle mouse button does not close tab in Microsoft Edge)
  • MAC-323 and MAC-324 are regressions in "beta 20" (bugs were not present in the previous beta).
ngomes wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:51 am MAC-323 should be fixed (we're currently verifying the correction) and MAC-318 and MAC-324 are currently being investigated. We have not yet determined whether MAC-318 is a problem in the application or the driver
No response in Cinema 4d on MacBook M1! — just ran into exactly this issue. Was excited to finally use the power of the new M1 MacBook (early Christmas present). Well that xmas spirit was crushed. The Device / Connexion Demo works. Even added 3DxNLServer.app and 3Dconnexion Home.app to MacOS system privacy accessibility. No change.

System
  • Brand new MaxBook Pro M1 Max
    • MacOS Monterey - Version 12.0.1 (latest)
  • Installed Cinema 4D R25.015 (latest)
  • Installed 3DConnexion 10.7.0 (Beta) BigSur (wtf? Beta? BigSur?)
    • 3DxWare 10
    • 3DxWareCore version 1.2.0.252 (252)
    • 3DxWare version 10.7.0 (3386)
  • SpaceMouse Pro Wireless
    • Firmware 4.39
It is kind of insane to me, that a human interface device designed for artists is not able to keep up with the operation system of choice for most artists, and one of the most popular 3D applications on the planet. You guys need to seriously work on your Quality Assurance and Testing process. I'm not using Beta or Experimental software here. Have not left an amazon review yet, but will surely do now. Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

dsveInc wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:56 am where can we track those "issues"? Especially MAC-318.
Here, in this Forum or perhaps you can also reach to our Technical Support team (contacts here).
MAC-318 (Cinema 4D R25 does not work on M1 machines)
As far as we can tell, Cinema 4D R25 (native ARM64) has 3D mouse support disabled on M1 machines. The application does not attempt to open a connection to the driver. We have reached out to Maxon and we will determine where precisely is the problem (driver or application) when they can look into to our request.
MAC-323 (Onshape stops working after a few minutes of use)
This was a bug introduced in "beta 20". Customers can downgrade to "beta 19". This issue is marked as fixed in the next release.
MAC-324 (wireless CadMouse middle mouse button does not close tab in Microsoft Edge)
This is a change in the operating system: macOS 12 is erroneously interpreting some 3D mouse button actions as left, right, middle mouse clicks. Customers still on macOS 11 do not have this problem. We believe we will need to issue a new firmware for the wireless CadMouse device types. There appears to be no other practical alternative.
MAC-323 and MAC-324 are regressions in "beta 20" (bugs were not present in the previous beta).
As mentioned above, MAC-324 is not a regression. It's not even a driver problem.

MAC-323 is fixed.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Any clues on release date for the next version? It's been almost two months since the previous one!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

slbaumgartner wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:20 am Any clues on release date for the next version? It's been almost two months since the previous one!
We started internal verification last week. We expect to release it by Friday.

It will be "release candidate 1" (RC1).
dsveInc

Post by dsveInc »

ngomes wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 am
dsveInc wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:56 am MAC-318 (Cinema 4D R25 does not work on M1 machines)
As far as we can tell, Cinema 4D R25 (native ARM64) has 3D mouse support disabled on M1 machines. The application does not attempt to open a connection to the driver. We have reached out to Maxon and we will determine where precisely is the problem (driver or application) when they can look into to our request.
Ok if Maxon messed it up (which would suit them ... well..) I take back my jab. I'll check in this thread now, tracking when Cinema 4D is finally usable. Uff. Thank you!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

dsveInc wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:41 am if Maxon messed it up
We don't know if anyone has messed up anything. Even if Maxon did disable the driver connectivity on ARM64 they may had to do it. I can well imagine that Maxon was ahead of 3Dconnexion with native support for the M1 and -- for some reason or another -- had to drop support.

As mentioned, we've reached out to Maxon and, once they can begin to look at this, we should be able to determine where exactly the issue is and how to address it. We suspect it is a simple issue since support is in place for the Intel architecture.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

ngomes wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:27 am
slbaumgartner wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:20 am Any clues on release date for the next version? It's been almost two months since the previous one!
We started internal verification last week. We expect to release it by Friday.

It will be "release candidate 1" (RC1).
Hi,

Any news on the release of RC1?

Cheers
Mark
falkman

Re: macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Beta Driver Available

Post by falkman »

Soo looking forward to this! Complex project in Onshape, lots of rotating the model to make sense of it, aching right elbow without my beloved space navigators!
kraut-kits

Re: macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Beta Driver Available

Post by kraut-kits »

IMac 27 Intel, OS Monterey recently updated
Rhino 7

Space Mouse Enterprise
Beta Driver

I am new to Rhino, and recently bought a used SpaceMouse Enterprise.

Well, how do i program the buttons? Isn´t there even a preset configuration that can be uploaded into the mouse?

I am grateful for tips and tricks how to work with the mouse in Rhino while i am learning to walk in the 3D World...

My name is Frank
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Holliers wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:23 am Any news on the release of RC1?
RC1 was pushed out for publication on our web site. We're waiting for that action to complete.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

ngomes wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:02 am RC1 was pushed out for publication on our web site. We're waiting for that action to complete.
Thanks, I'll keep a look out. I'm assuming that this is still not classified as "Production Software", so how long do you anticipate this test cycle to last?

Cheers
Mark