macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

AbradolfLinkler wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 am I am trying to use it in Maya 2020.3

It only works for a minute or two - then Maya crashes abruptly - literally each time I use it.
Understood. We will see if we can reproduce it. Several of us are still away from work, so I only expect to have more information sometime next week.
Ant0ns

Post by Ant0ns »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:19 am Hi Ant0ns,
Ant0ns wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:14 am Hi, Please could anybody guide me how to fix or get a workaround about the issue that we're having for a while now.
Have been asking 3d support team many times, and still can't get useful answer.

So question is simple:

How to fix modifier buttons to work on SpaceMouse Pro Wireless ? (Shift, Alt, Option... )

iv'e done fallowing
Can you give a more details example of what you are trying to do? Are you creating a macro or keystroke action? Is assigned to a CadMouse or SpaceMouse button.

There's a known issue with modifiers not working if the the action is a assigned to a CadMouse button (MAC-242). If you give us a clearer picture of what you're looking at, we should be able to determine if there's a workaround.

Hi Thanks for reply.

CadMouse is working just fine via Bluetooth only. So nothing to do with CadMouse.

SpaceMouseProWireless - Shift,Option.... buttons not working (any Application)

Is there any way to make them work ? Thats all i need to know?

Or we just have to wait for another update ?

Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Ant0ns wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 pm SpaceMouseProWireless - Shift,Option.... buttons not working (any Application)
What exactly isn't working? We need to know what you're trying to do in order to determine if you're seeing something new or if it is a known problem.

For example, as of "beta 11", the modifier emulation (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd) won't work if used with a regular mouse but it should work fine with a keyboard event. Recently, we have come to suspect applications based on Qt are side-stepping the normal event path for mouse and keyboard causing the key emulation to break.
Ant0ns

Post by Ant0ns »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:14 am
Ant0ns wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:14 pm SpaceMouseProWireless - Shift,Option.... buttons not working (any Application)
What exactly isn't working? We need to know what you're trying to do in order to determine if you're seeing something new or if it is a known problem.

For example, as of "beta 11", the modifier emulation (Shift, Control, Option, Cmd) won't work if used with a regular mouse but it should work fine with a keyboard event. Recently, we have come to suspect applications based on Qt are side-stepping the normal event path for mouse and keyboard causing the key emulation to break.
Hi ngomes

This is my setup-

MacBookPro
BigSur
SketchUp 2021
SpaceMouseProWireless

All above have latest drivers.

Here’s what i do-

On SpaceMouseProWireless - press shift = no response
On SpaceMouseProWireless -press Alt = no response

On MacBookPro keyboard -press shift = works fine
On MacBookPro keyboard -press Option (corespondents Alt on SMPW) = works fine

How to fix this?

Thank you
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Ant0ns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:17 am On SpaceMouseProWireless - press shift = no response
You press "Shift" on the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless and then...? What are you doing next?

Note I'm not asking what you expect to see when you press "Shift" on your SpaceMouse. We know only too well what should happen (a perfect Shift modifier emulation) but that's not what we have on macOS 11.
How to fix this?
We need to first understand what you want to do.

Say, you want to use the SpaceMouse "Shift" with mouse clicks: this won't work as of the "beta 11" driver (but should to some extent on "beta 12").

Perhaps you want to use the modifier other keyboard keys: this short work fine but we have reports of problems with Maya and ZBrush (looks like a driver limitation when the application is based on Qt).
Ant0ns

Post by Ant0ns »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 am
Ant0ns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:17 am On SpaceMouseProWireless - press shift = no response
You press "Shift" on the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless and then...? What are you doing next?

Note I'm not asking what you expect to see when you press "Shift" on your SpaceMouse. We know only too well what should happen (a perfect Shift modifier emulation) but that's not what we have on macOS 11.
How to fix this?
We need to first understand what you want to do.

Say, you want to use the SpaceMouse "Shift" with mouse clicks: this won't work as of the "beta 11" driver (but should to some extent on "beta 12").

Perhaps you want to use the modifier other keyboard keys: this short work fine but we have reports of problems with Maya and ZBrush (looks like a driver limitation when the application is based on Qt).
Hi Thanks for looking into this

it's a bit complicated explaining it in writing

so I've created a short video https://vimeo.com/497249361

Note: just tested SMPW Shift button in ''Notes'' application (Hold Down Shift + type keystroke ) it worked.
so i believe it's something to do with SketchUp.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Ant0ns wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:24 am it's a bit complicated explaining it in writing

so I've created a short video https://vimeo.com/497249361
Thank you for taking the time to create the video. It was very clear.

Basically, you're using the modifiers in SketchUp and these act as separate keys (this is what is probably happening with Maya and ZBrush).

We're using a system API to emulate modifiers but this is limited to changing a mask in existing keyboard and mouse events. In other words, modifiers can only be "attached" to other key or mouse actions.

Until we can implement a similar solution to what we had in macOS 10.15 and older, it is unlikely we can make these modifier keys working the way you want.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I am assuming you have reached out and explained this to Apple yes?

Maybe they have an idea or easy solution for these "stand-alone" modifier keys..

Also I am assuming that you are working on some sort of temporary solution in the meantime yes?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 am I am assuming you have reached out and explained this to Apple yes?
We have not reached Apple about this specific issue, no. The system API is working as intended.
Also I am assuming that you are working on some sort of temporary solution in the meantime yes?
Our aim is to restore key emulation feature to same experience as in macOS 10.15 and older. To do this, we believe we will need to deploy a "DriverKit extension" (dext). As mentioned before, this is something we have been trying to do since quite a while (since WWDC 2019).

The system API that we are using now (that allows the driver to set the modifier mask in existing mouse and keyboard events) is the temporary solution. How long is temporary will depend when we can make the dext solution work.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Sounds good.. Happy to test!
Thanks for the hard work!

ngomes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:29 am
cjadams wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:57 am I am assuming you have reached out and explained this to Apple yes?
We have not reached Apple about this specific issue, no. The system API is working as intended.
Our aim is to restore key emulation feature to same experience as in macOS 10.15 and older. To do this, we believe we will need to deploy a "DriverKit extension" (dext). As mentioned before, this is something we have been trying to do since quite a while (since WWDC 2019).

The system API that we are using now (that allows the driver to set the modifier mask in existing mouse and keyboard events) is the temporary solution. How long is temporary will depend when we can make the dext solution work.
ChargedNeuron

Post by ChargedNeuron »

I'm a bit late to the party, but do I understand correctly that at this time it is expected that the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless buttons do not work? (Referring to; Shift, Ctrl, Esc, Alt, Top, Front, Right, Menu, Fit, etc)? Apparently Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 do work but its really the others I need in Blender.

Thank you - (CN)
ngomes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:29 am

ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ChargedNeuron,
ChargedNeuron wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:35 pm I'm a bit late to the party, but do I understand correctly that at this time it is expected that the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless buttons do not work? (Referring to; Shift, Ctrl, Esc, Alt, Top, Front, Right, Menu, Fit, etc)? Apparently Buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 do work but its really the others I need in Blender.
All buttons are expected to work but modifier key emulation (Shift, Ctrl, Option, Cmd) may not working in specific condition (target applications like Maya or ZBrush and when used with mouse buttons).
ChargedNeuron

Post by ChargedNeuron »

At Present in Blender 2.91 on the PC buttons are functioning normally. On the Mac, The Face Buttons (Front, Right, Top), Fit, Menu, Modifier Buttons do not work. Buttons 1-4, Rotation Lock seem to be working as intended. I have performed the firmware update as instructed in the Big Sur Driver page. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Drivers. I have authorized all 3DConnexion options in Security.

Do you have any other Suggestions? Is there any Info I can offer from here?

Thank you.
ngomes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:51 am Hi ChargedNeuron, All buttons are expected to work but modifier key emulation (Shift, Ctrl, Option, Cmd) may not working in specific condition (target applications like Maya or ZBrush and when used with mouse buttons).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ChargedNeuron wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am Do you have any other Suggestions? Is there any Info I can offer from here?
No suggestion. We will need to check what is going on with Blender on the Mac.

Do you recall if all buttons were working in macOS 10.15 or older?
ChargedNeuron

Post by ChargedNeuron »

Yes, my SpaceMouse Pro Wireless and my SpaceMouse Wireless both worked as intended prior to the Big Sur Driver/Firmware Update.
I have tested Blender; 2.82a, 2.81a, 2.80. 2.79b. Version 2.80 has a known issue with 3DConnexion tools. The other versions all were working and now are not; (ie Buttons previously mentioned).
I also tested my SpaceMouse Wireless which has the buttons set to RM Tools and RM Views. These buttons do not work either.
I made the attempt to roll the Firmware backwards but your tool does not seem to offer that as an option. The SpaceMouse Wireless has not been Firmware Updated yet and the buttons do not work. I dont know if that offers any clue as to where the issue lays vs Firmware or Driver.

If I can be of further assistance let me know. thanks. Ill closely monitor this forum for a solution.

Thank you.
ngomes wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:51 am
ChargedNeuron wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am Do you have any other Suggestions? Is there any Info I can offer from here?
No suggestion. We will need to check what is going on with Blender on the Mac.

Do you recall if all buttons were working in macOS 10.15 or older?