macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

martinfdc

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by martinfdc »

Macros don't work at all on my iMac. Im running macOS 11.2.2 with a CadMouse Pro Wireless and a SpaceMouse Wireless.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 am Macros don't work at all on my iMac. Im running macOS 11.2.2 with a CadMouse Pro Wireless and a SpaceMouse Wireless.
There are limitations in the driver's modifier key emulation feature in macOS 11.

Can you tell us what exactly is the macro that is failing and what is the target application?
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:59 am
Can you tell us what exactly is the macro that is failing and what is the target application?
[/quote]

For example in Safari I have a Macro that is to go back a page (cmd + left key). This is not working.

In Vectorworks 2021 I have many macros, if not all, that don't work. I have created a Vectorworks workspace with all of these macros. Below I leave a couple of the many I have that don't work:

Clip cube: cmd + i
Open GL: cmd + shift + g
orthogonal: cmd + option + shift + 0
perspective: cmd + shift + p
door: option + shift + d
window: option + shift + w
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:43 am For example in Safari I have a Macro that is to go back a page (cmd + left key). This is not working.
This is expected to work.

Can you check if the 3Dconnexion driver is listed and enabled in the "Input Monitoring" section of the "Security & Privacy" pane in System Preferences? If it is not enabled, do so and restart the system.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

Thanks for your reply. If the drive's name is 3Dconnexion Home then yes, I have it enabled.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am Thanks for your reply. If the drive's name is 3Dconnexion Home then yes, I have it enabled.
Or do I need to add the 3DxNLServer to the list as well? Is that the driver name?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am Or do I need to add the 3DxNLServer to the list as well? Is that the driver name?
No need.

And it's not "Input Monitoring", it's "Accessibility". Sorry about that. I mixed that one up.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:13 am
martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:01 am Or do I need to add the 3DxNLServer to the list as well? Is that the driver name?
No need.

And it's not "Input Monitoring", it's "Accessibility". Sorry about that. I mixed that one up.
I have allowed permission to 3Dconnexion Home and 3DconnexionHelper in the "accessibility" setting under "Security & Privacy" " but still macros don't work.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am I have allowed permission to 3Dconnexion Home and 3DconnexionHelper in the "accessibility" setting under "Security & Privacy" " but still macros don't work.
Was the "3DconnexionHelper" permission in "Accessibility" disabled prior to you allowing it now? If so, did you restart the system?
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:45 am
martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:24 am I have allowed permission to 3Dconnexion Home and 3DconnexionHelper in the "accessibility" setting under "Security & Privacy" " but still macros don't work.
Was the "3DconnexionHelper" permission in "Accessibility" disabled prior to you allowing it now? If so, did you restart the system?
It was already enabled, I did not have to enable it. I also restarted the system just in case.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:04 am It was already enabled, I did not have to enable it. I also restarted the system just in case.
All is well with that, then.

Can you try assigning a "keystroke" rather than a "macro"? I believe "Cmd+<left array>" in Safari is an action that requires a the modifier "Cmd" to be held down when the left-array key is depressed. A macro will run key events in a sequence and this may not necessarily be what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I have no access to a Mac at the moment and I can't confirm any of this.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 am
martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:04 am It was already enabled, I did not have to enable it. I also restarted the system just in case.
All is well with that, then.

Can you try assigning a "keystroke" rather than a "macro"? I believe "Cmd+<left array>" in Safari is an action that requires a the modifier "Cmd" to be held down when the left-array key is depressed. A macro will run key events in a sequence and this may not necessarily be what you're looking for.

Unfortunately, I have no access to a Mac at the moment and I can't confirm any of this.
I tired assigning a "keystroke" instead of a macro and it worked. The only negative point of doing it this way is that I can't place a proper name on the radial menu. Now it reads: Keystroke Command +left

Also on the "Macro Steps:" under the "Macros" settings under 3Dconnexion configurations I have the Keystroke option enables. I can still use "Type Text" and "Pause".

I have tried to put the command keystroke and left keystroke on two macro steps but it won't read command by itself, only if it's typed together with the left key.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

simon.djin wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm * Macro commands wherever they are assigned directly to a button or executed via the radial menu do not work when they contain keystrokes. I have tested it with keystrokes modifiers like cmd for example, with a « finder » configuration and « cinema4d R23 » configuration also. « « « Text » macro commands work perfectly in Cinema4d for example. The keystrokes with modifiers keys like cmd also work when they are directly assigned to a button or executed via the radial menu BUT not when they are part from a macro action.
This quote from a previous post explains the exact issue I'm having. I guess this is all related to the modifier key issues I've been reading about in previous posts. I guess I'll just need to wait for an update on the Beta or the official driver for Big Sur to come out.

Thanks for your help and replies ngomes!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm I guess I'll just need to wait for an update on the Beta or the official driver for Big Sur to come out.
The current limitation with modifier key emulation will take time. It's unlikely we will have a key emulation feature in macOS 11 with the same user experience as in older operating system versions anytime soon.
martinfdc

Post by martinfdc »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:51 pm
martinfdc wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:16 pm I guess I'll just need to wait for an update on the Beta or the official driver for Big Sur to come out.
The current limitation with modifier key emulation will take time. It's unlikely we will have a key emulation feature in macOS 11 with the same user experience as in older operating system versions anytime soon.
Maybe a temporary solution could be that on the "Radial Menus" "Mapping" one could just use "Type keystroke" (instead of run macro) and one could name the action of the keystroke so that what appears in the Radial Menu would be a keystroke but with a proper title.