macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cjadams

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by cjadams »

This is great! so far so good modifier keys act as they should.. even in ZBrush!! -- Question is this a "public" beta? Can we talk about this?
IF so.. you REALLY need to go spread the word with the zbrush folks. and get this hyped up now that it is working again.
Do you guys know if this will also work or has anyone tested with Monterey?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:08 am This is great! so far so good modifier keys act as they should.. even in ZBrush!! -- Question is this a "public" beta? Can we talk about this?
This is all public. The closed beta ended when macOS 11 was released back in November last.
Do you guys know if this will also work or has anyone tested with Monterey?
We have not looked at macOS 12 Beta yet but we don't expect any issues. The technology transition happened going from 10.15 to 11.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Just to be clear i’m talking macos 12 not 11
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 am Just to be clear i’m talking macos 12 not 11
Yes, that's clear. MacOS 12 is "Monterey". We don't expect any issues because the transitioning version was macOS 11 ("Big Sur").
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

awesome! Just waiting for octane to work with monterey then i’ll report back
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:54 am The "beta 19" (revision r3356) of the new driver for macOS was released today, July 19th. The installer is available from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

The keyboard key emulation feature was replaced by a new implementation based on a DriverKit extension. Modifier keys can now be used stand-alone. The memory leak reported by @slbaumgartner should also be fixed.

After installing the driver, ensure the new driver extension is "allowed" in the "Security & Privacy" pane in System Preferences. The system may also launch the "Keyboard Setup Assistant" to select the keyboard. It is safe to simply close the assistant.

We expect to issue one last "beta" build before publishing 10.7.0 as final.
So, I ran the Driver install and when complete and after restart, I get the attached error. The problem is that the message described does not appear anywhere in system preferences...my system is managed by my company using JamF, is it possible that is why it is blocked?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.07.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 10.07.17 AM.png (149.53 KiB) Viewed 21820 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:13 am So, I ran the Driver install and when complete and after restart, I get the attached error. The problem is that the message described does not appear anywhere in system preferences...my system is managed by my company using JamF, is it possible that is why it is blocked?
We can't comment about using JamF since we don't know what it will do.

If you're seeing the warning, then the system extension isn't yet "allowed". The "Allow" button is shown on the "Security & Privacy" pane in System Preferences. This manual step to "allow" system extensions is by design.
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:44 am
garybart wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:13 am So, I ran the Driver install and when complete and after restart, I get the attached error. The problem is that the message described does not appear anywhere in system preferences...my system is managed by my company using JamF, is it possible that is why it is blocked?
We can't comment about using JamF since we don't know what it will do.

If you're seeing the warning, then the system extension isn't yet "allowed". The "Allow" button is shown on the "Security & Privacy" pane in System Preferences. This manual step to "allow" system extensions is by design.
So, to be super clear, I confirmed with myIT team that Jamf is in no way blocking the install. There is absolutely no Message or an Allow button shown anywhere in Security and Privacy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. It is not working. Please help.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Just fyi it did show up for me.. as expected. So. it has to be something on your system.. Everything went smoothly.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 am It is not working. Please help.
We can try but note we haven't seeing this before (system extension not available to be "allowed"). In other words, the issue may be isolated to your system. If others are similarly affected, then it should be easier to narrow down what's causing the issue.

Please check the status of the system extensions. Refer to the topic "Examine the Installed System Extensions" in this page.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:41 am So. it has to be something on your system.. Everything went smoothly.
Not necessarily. There may be something we're missing. Just because we haven't seen it before, does not mean there isn't an issue to be resolved in our software.
nextr

Post by nextr »

WOOHOO! Yes!

New driver works GREAT on my M1 Mac mini with Spacemouse Pro with Zbrush.

All the modifiers keys function and the Zbrush default ortho views are nice (tho I remapped some buttons for pinky-thumb ergonomics while sculpting).

Will probably upgrade to Enterprise from Pro for for better ergo and more buttons to reduce the number of keyboard jumps.

Now I can migrate to my new M1 / Big Sur Mac mini

Thanks to the teams who worked on this!
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

nextr wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:09 pm WOOHOO! Yes!

New driver works GREAT on my M1 Mac mini with Spacemouse Pro with Zbrush.

All the modifiers keys function
Now I can migrate to my new M1 / Big Sur Mac mini

Thanks to the teams who worked on this!
Not for me on Monterey Public Beta.
Also M1 Mini.

Original Space Navigator still works fine but original USB CADMouse and
Enterprise now lost all special Buttons or Modifier Keys again.

When installing I did accept all Privacy Setting changes
(one time it even asked for password)
and restarted.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Sorry to hear that. Mine is on Big Sur 11.4.
Likewise, accepted the privacy requests, which required password, unlocking, accepting. Also it restarted at the end of install.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Don't know.

Restarted again.
Threw out 3DCon in Privacy Settings, killed 3DCon Helper,
opened the driver settings in Mac Settings,
re-allowed the privacy changes,
(even reallowed Automation for 3DCon access to Music App !?)

No change.
Enterprise and CADMouse are back in feature state of first
3DCon Big Sur Beta Driver - before the Firmware Update.

I also tried to repair/erase/update firmware again via PC.
No change.