macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:42 am Any word on the next driver update.. with the single modifier fix that was mentioned?
We have a couple of fixes for modifiers but I'm not sure I know what "single modifier" fix you're referring to.

If you are referring to the full-fledged emulation where modifiers keys can be used stand-alone like we have in the driver for macOS 10.15, then that's not included in the next beta and I don't have an estimate when we can complete that work.

The next beta is expected to be released before week's end.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:43 am The ultimate test will be if modifiers work in Zbrush on mac!
I think ZBrush relies on stand-alone modifier keys (where the user is only actuating on the Shift, Ctrl, Cmd, Option modifiers and no other key) and, if so, that's not going to work in the next beta. As mentioned above, we don't have an estimate when we can deploy a "virtual keyboard" feature.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

This might sound silly but what happens when we hit keyboard keys like letters I'm assuming it's in ASCII key string why can't we just capture what the control option shift etc. sends for now just like we do with the regular keystrokes and then at least we can push them down would something like that work using the macro function?
for example in Zbrush if I want to use a brush swap you have to hit three letters in succession so I have those with a pause in between and it works fine for the most part ...but I noticed that when you pick keystroke you can't use any of the modifier keys at all... now I would think those keys would still pass their ascii information as any other key on the keyboard right?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:42 pm This might sound silly but what happens when we hit keyboard keys like letters I'm assuming it's in ASCII key string why can't we just capture what the control option shift etc.
We explained this to you earlier (see here).

In the present implementation, we're using a system framework where modifiers are set in a "mask". The framework does not handle modifiers like other keys.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ok was just trying to find a temporary fix
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:06 am
lineweight wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:39 am Vectorworks have just released SP3 for VW2021.
Thanks for following up here, lineweight.

3Dconnexion is collaborating with Vectorworks to address this problem and were told to expect SP3 for Vectorworks 2021 today morning (EST time zone).

At this point, we're waiting for more customers to have the opportunity to install SP3 and check for themselves if the "sudden jump" issue (MAC-268) appears to be resolved.
A bit more feedback.

I still haven't had any "sudden jumps". I had said before that the general smoothness of motion was improved - I think it is better, but now that I'm testing it a bit more (using multiple display panes, etc) there are still some issues; it is ok sometimes but not all of the time.

There is one way I have found I can provoke things going a bit wrong; this is if I am in a perspective view, "helicopter" flyover mode and I try and look directly downwards. Then there is a sudden jump in viewing angle, and I have lost my level horizon. This is a bit annoying but not too critical because it's not often that I need to look in that direction, and I can just avoid doing it for now, but something that might need looking at.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:58 pm I had said before that the general smoothness of motion was improved - I think it is better, but now that I'm testing it a bit more (using multiple display panes, etc) there are still some issues; it is ok sometimes but not all of the time.

There is one way I have found I can provoke things going a bit wrong; this is if I am in a perspective view, "helicopter" flyover mode and I try and look directly downwards. Then there is a sudden jump in viewing angle, and I have lost my level horizon. This is a bit annoying but not too critical because it's not often that I need to look in that direction, and I can just avoid doing it for now, but something that might need looking at.
At this point, we suggest you refer these issues to Vectorworks. What you are looking appears to be caused by the application when processing 3D mouse data. With Vectorworks, our driver simply transports the raw data from the device to the application.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

For me, for now, it seems to work fine in Vectorworks.
Yesterday I had Updates to VW 2021 SP3 and Big Sur 11.3 Public Beta4.

(But my Enterprise still prevents Big Sur on M1 from sleep,
and Beta4 may prevent from 3DCon Driver Settings being able
to recognize the active App. It was always reliable, now I have
to manually select from dropdown)

Now I am exciting about coming next 3DConnexion Beta Driver.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:30 pm But my Enterprise still prevents Big Sur on M1 from sleep,
This probably can only be addressed by Apple.
and Beta4 may prevent from 3DCon Driver Settings being able
to recognize the active App. It was always reliable, now I have
to manually select from dropdown
I'm not sure I follow. What was reliable and isn't any longer?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

On Mac, if you have an CAD or 3D App active
and open 3D Con Driver Settings, either from Menu Button or by opening Apple Settings,
it will automatically point the driver setup to that CAD or 3D App.
(OK, 3DCon Driver may not know which 3D Con Device you want and you have to manually select
that but it has already chosen the 3D App of interest in Settings)

And I lost that behavior yesterday.
As we don't had a 3D Con Driver Update, and it is not only VW but also Bricscad and other Apps,
I have to think it has to do with recent Big Sur 11.3 Public Beta 4 Update.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:18 pm
lineweight wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:58 pm I had said before that the general smoothness of motion was improved - I think it is better, but now that I'm testing it a bit more (using multiple display panes, etc) there are still some issues; it is ok sometimes but not all of the time.

At this point, we suggest you refer these issues to Vectorworks. What you are looking appears to be caused by the application when processing 3D mouse data. With Vectorworks, our driver simply transports the raw data from the device to the application.
Thanks. I am discussing these with Vectorworks too.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

I updated Vectorworks 2021 to the latest version SP3. Which just came out. After restarting my iMac Pro the 3D Space mouse would not pair. Then by pulling the 3D spacemouse universal receiver and re-inserting it the space mouse came back on line and paired. As of today Vectorworks is working for me normally except for having select the center of rotation with the vectorworks flyover tool. It has not zoomed out in space in the last 2 hours. Now the only issue is I have to re-learn how to use the spacemouse since it has been down for several months. :D
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjtiedeman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:10 am I updated Vectorworks 2021 to the latest version SP3. [...] It has not zoomed out in space in the last 2 hours.
This is the third positive result since SP3 was release on Tuesday, March 16th.

Our thanks to lineweight, zoomer and rjtiedeman for having taken the time to report back here.

We will continue to monitor MAC-268 ("sudden jumps" in Vectorworks) for a while before closing as resolved in SP3 for Vectorworks 2021.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

Sorry for the double post but your site does not allow edits.
I have to report Vectorworks is working way better with VW 2021-SP3 and Mac OS 11.2.3, BUT - moving around 3D space DOES NOT move like the teapot in the trainer or the jet engine in the viewer. How do I get that functionality in my Vectorworks software? My apple magic mouse ii with the flyover tool is easier to use.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjtiedeman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:41 am BUT - moving around 3D space DOES NOT move like the teapot in the trainer or the jet engine in the viewer. How do I get that functionality in my Vectorworks software?
3D mouse support in Vectorworks is native to the application, meaning Vectorworks has control over how the 3D mouse data is processed.

I suggest you get in touch with Vectorworks and let them know how you'd like to use 3D mice with their products. 3Dconnexion and Vectorworks have a business partnership but this sort of feedback is best shared by customer directly to Vectorworks.