macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

gobluejd

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by gobluejd »

ngomes wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:14 am
gobluejd wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:33 am Does this make a difference? I mean can you still look into?
It was very useful, yes. Thank you. The issue is related to the macro creation, not the Radial Menu.

We're tracking the problem as MAC-280 but note that we have not yet confirmed if this is yet another side-effect of the modifier key emulation limitations.
Thank you!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:41 am One thing that doesn't make any sense to me is that everybody in the industry knew this change about kexts was coming.
I've answered to your questions before, cjadams. Please refer to this post and again here.
ngomes wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:39 am We lost the ability to inject modifier keys after support for kernel extensions was removed in macOS 11. This "injection" happens at kernel level and was just like if a keyboard was connected to the system. Until we can reimplement the feature using a "DriverKit Extension" (dext), we won't have the same experience. And we have tried. Since WWDC 2019.

We will return to DriverKit soon. It looks like progress has been made in the last month or so and we're helpful it will eventually work for us but, for now, we need to use the user mode system API with its limitations.
And again you ask about the late beta:
While i appreciate how open you are being..,i still have to ask why you waited months and now we have to wait even more weeks and months for what should have been started during Big Sur beta last summer...?
I'm repeating myself: we started when it was announced after WWDC 2019 and we were unable to deploy a replacement to a kext before macOS 11 was released. We had to deploy alternatives with limitations as we have been discussing here.

See here.

The relevant bit:
ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:54 am Why didn't we release the beta driver before? The driver isn't ready yet, obviously enough, and there was no point in asking our customers to test what we know is not even close to be finished.

Why is the beta available now? We decided to release it since customers have begun to transition to macOS 11 and at least some can use their device with a few applications. We believe that's a better approach than locking everything out.
Finally, ask yourself if you believe we, the engineers and 3Dconnexion, didn't see this coming. With the answer in your mind, think why one of us (me) is here.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

2019 is a long time.. to have no progress.. did apple clobber what you were using. in the name of keyboard privacy by chance?

I know Wacom had some issues as well. but they seemed to get around them.. It feels like you guys are just trying to fix this on your own..I hope your getting direct support from apple.. and such.. That would be horrible if they killed a function left no way to get around it. and then didn't give your devs help to implement..

IF that is indeed what happens.. that really does suck!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:14 am It feels like you guys are just trying to fix this on your own...
We're trying to deploy a driver that mostly works. Otherwise, our customers have nothing.

Once that's done, we can go back and see if we can deploy a good solution for key emulation.
rjlillie

Post by rjlillie »

Any estimate of when the flash tool will be available for Mac OS?
SILBA

Post by SILBA »

I understand that the developers are working hard to fix the issues with the modifiers and probably other issues that I am not fully aware of since I only recently go the Spacemouse enterprise.
One suggestion would be to not offer it on the Mac for new customers until you get past the beta testing. I understand that it would not be a good business move but as customer I could have made a better decision. If I put down $400 for a mouse I expect the product to function as advertised.
I have held back for many years and finally decided to buy it when ZBrush was supported. Not a good feeling to have a large chunk of your desk space for a device that frankly is largely unused and ignored.
On a positive I was getting pretty good with the navigator/joystick, just did not like the fact I had to take my hand off for the modifiers. Hope we see a release soon that address many of the issues in this thread.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I will have to applaud you for your work on the unreal engine plugin! Works like a charm.. though would be great to use it in play mode.
I haven't checked.. is this also available on the mac side?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

SILBA wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 am One suggestion would be to not offer it on the Mac for new customers until you get past the beta testing.
I don't know how we can tell new customers from recurring customers.

Anyway, what we're focused on is supporting existing customers that have already upgraded macOS 11 and maintaining the software for macOS 10.15 (and older).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjlillie wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:49 pm Any estimate of when the flash tool will be available for Mac OS?
Difficult to say precisely. We should have more on a firmware update tool CadMouse later this week.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 am I will have to applaud you for your work on the unreal engine plugin! Works like a charm.. though would be great to use it in play mode.
I haven't checked.. is this also available on the mac side?
No, not on the Mac, but interesting that you asked: it's the first customer request for Unreal Editor support that I'm aware.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

well unreal is on the mac as well - i funds to more stable then on the pc - right now i'm trying to track a nasty freezing bug in the pc but the mac is just working ... go figure. so yeah would be nice to get that plugin working on mac too
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Also while i'm thinking about it.. has Adobe reached out to you guys about supporting Substance suite.. Painter / Designer?
I totally miss not having it when painting on my 3d models.. I use it in Zbrush now.. as well as in C4d and maya.. so i think the user community would LOVE to see the ability to use shortcuts as well as full viewport navigation in Substance painter/designer.
Not sure how hard this is or not. but i really was surprised at how Zbrush got it before Adobe stuff did.. they just seem to have this mental block. maybe same one that stopped them from thinking about VFX used till adobe "bought them" maybe someone has to push a bit to get them to actually support this..
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:48 am has Adobe reached out to you guys about supporting Substance suite.. Painter / Designer?
Not that I'm aware of.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

gobluejd wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:01 pm After trying again, it does it, but it does a bunch of other things before initiating command. For example, I have this set up to create a PLANE. It does it, but after several commands are run in background.

See images and video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iihxbzmeqlpx ... h62Sa?dl=0
As it turns out, it was pretty straightforward. You have created a macro with a "type text" action. Basically, the macro is typing the entire text as written. For example, it's sending a "c", then an "o", etc for "command" when you intended it to be a Cmd key action.

Try replacing the "type text" action with a "keystroke". That should sort this out.
gobluejd

Post by gobluejd »

Figures!! LOL - However when I change to Keystroke, it will only allow one character. How to I set up in Keystroke with multiple keys?