macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

lineweight

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by lineweight »

rjtiedeman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:41 am Sorry for the double post but your site does not allow edits.
I have to report Vectorworks is working way better with VW 2021-SP3 and Mac OS 11.2.3, BUT - moving around 3D space DOES NOT move like the teapot in the trainer or the jet engine in the viewer. How do I get that functionality in my Vectorworks software? My apple magic mouse ii with the flyover tool is easier to use.
Are you aware that you can switch navigation modes?

I like "helicopter" but you might prefer others.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/e ... _mouse.htm
cderaeym

Post by cderaeym »

Hello, Unfurtunatly my CADmouse pro wireless isn't functionning well. I'm on macbook pro (2015) Bigsur and i did upgrade the firmware 1.11 and the drive Version 10.7.0 r3295 (so normally it should work but no). I'm mainly using it for autoCAD and rhino.

Problems :
- No radial menus
- 3D connexion home app instantly crashes
- other buttons work (scrolling and clicking) but it is not possible to personalise it

Can someone help me
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cderaeym wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:30 pm Can someone help me
Have a word with our technical support team (contacts here). They ought to be able to assist you.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

lineweight wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm
rjtiedeman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:41 am Sorry for the double post but your site does not allow edits.
I have to report Vectorworks is working way better with VW 2021-SP3 and Mac OS 11.2.3, BUT - moving around 3D space DOES NOT move like the teapot in the trainer or the jet engine in the viewer. How do I get that functionality in my Vectorworks software? My apple magic mouse ii with the flyover tool is easier to use.
Are you aware that you can switch navigation modes?

I like "helicopter" but you might prefer others.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/e ... _mouse.htm
Thank You. I am not sure if I am in helicopter mode but it does make it smother. I got my 3DSpacemouse about the same time that I got my iMac Pro.that came preloaded with an OS that did not work well with 3Dspacemouse. So I have been chasing updates ever since. Hope we all catch up with Apple soon.

Just today when I went to use my spacemouse I had to pull the receiver to get it to pair.
apeto

Post by apeto »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:01 am
cjadams wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 am I will have to applaud you for your work on the unreal engine plugin! Works like a charm.. though would be great to use it in play mode.
I haven't checked.. is this also available on the mac side?
No, not on the Mac, but interesting that you asked: it's the first customer request for Unreal Editor support that I'm aware.
Yes please! Unreal Engine support on Mac would be amazing. Using WASD keys + mouse to navigate feels like I'm trying to work last century...
warby

Post by warby »

Update: Google is now investigating the Big Sur / Google Earth / SpaceNavigator problem!

After growing increasingly impatient watching this forum for a number of months, I queried the "Google Earth Help" Community forum to see if anyone closer to Google had experienced the problems we've encountered.

The very helpful "Alchemist251" sent the problem to the right people and now we can sit back and cross our fingers!

More here: https://support.google.com/earth/thread/102053905
microdee

Post by microdee »

I'm actually working on mac support of space mice for UE4, eventually on a MacOS 11 Big Sur device. I track its development here https://github.com/microdee/UE4-SpaceMouse/issues/4. I will have a big release fanfare when it's finally ready hopefully in the near future, but I'm telling that to myself and others since january.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The "beta 15" (revision r3318) of the new driver for macOS was released earlier today. The software can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

We have resolved a couple of issues affecting macros in radial menus (MAC-267) and interfering with modifier key operation in keyboard (MAC-290). The core driver is now built natively for the ARM64 platform (M1 chip).
alanfleming

Post by alanfleming »

I just upgraded to the new version. I previously suggested that reboots are not necessary - and you told me that they are necessary in some situations, such as upgrading from a kext-based driver version to the non-kext based version.

However - this time I just upgraded from the previous beta to the current beta, and a reboot should not be required for this. As it is very bad practice to force a reboot where it is not required, can the driver install logic be modified to only reboot the computer where it is strictly necessary? It must be able to test whether it is upgrading from an old driver or a current-version driver.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

alanfleming wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:18 am As it is very bad practice to force a reboot where it is not required, can the driver install logic be modified to only reboot the computer where it is strictly necessary?
To put it simply, you're preaching to the choir. If we could install the driver without rebooting, we would have.

As the software matures and more of our customers transition to the new driver, we will remove the reboot requests provided there is no detrimental impact to end-users.

We also need to keep in mind that the final key emulation feature is expected to use a "DriverKit system extension" (dext). We don't yet know if installing a dext requires a reboot just like a kernel system extension. We're hoping a reboot won't be necessary.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I was also surprised bey the need of a reboot.
And my Enterprise still prevents from sleep, or better immediately
reawakens my M1 Mini.

Beside that the devices behave pretty smooth now.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:30 am And my Enterprise still prevents from sleep, or better immediately
reawakens my M1 Mini.
We believe this something that only Apple can address, just as SpaceMouse devices moving the mouse pointer if our driver isn't running.

I believe you were one of the customers affected by the driver bug (MAC-290) that interfered with modifier keys on the real keyboard. If so, could you please indicate if this is still a problem for you?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:45 am We believe this something that only Apple can address, just as SpaceMouse devices moving the mouse pointer if our driver isn't running.

I believe you were one of the customers affected by the driver bug (MAC-290) that interfered with modifier keys on the real keyboard. If so, could you please indicate if this is still a problem for you?
For me it looks like CMD Modifier chaos in Safari and Mail does no more appear.
So far on M1 :
- Keyboard CMD key in Safari and Mail looks reliable now
- CADMouse does no more lose CMD function in Keystroke assignments
- Vectorworks Viewport doesn't jump away arbitrarily anymore
- I think all Enterprise Buttons and all 12 Display Buttons do work again

Yes, I still have problems to bring my system to sleep.
But funny,
I unplugged my Enterprise as usual before I need M1 sleeping
and it awoke again anyway :?: :?: :?:
Will have to play a bit and also unplug my CADMouse and such things.

And yes, I also sometimes saw my cursor slowly walking away on
Vectorworks or Bricscad screen - when the machine was in idle
for some time.
alanfleming

Post by alanfleming »

ngomes wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:27 am
alanfleming wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:18 am As it is very bad practice to force a reboot where it is not required, can the driver install logic be modified to only reboot the computer where it is strictly necessary?
To put it simply, you're preaching to the choir. If we could install the driver without rebooting, we would have.

As the software matures and more of our customers transition to the new driver, we will remove the reboot requests provided there is no detrimental impact to end-users.

We also need to keep in mind that the final key emulation feature is expected to use a "DriverKit system extension" (dext). We don't yet know if installing a dext requires a reboot just like a kernel system extension. We're hoping a reboot won't be necessary.
It can be done right now with conditional logic in the installation process.

Also, loading and kexts don't actually require a reboot, and hasn't since at least 2002. man kextload / kextunload.

Looks more like your installer dev isn't entirely up to date.
alanfleming

Post by alanfleming »

Oh, and taking a look inside the installer package - every sub-package is flagged as requiring a reboot - for example, 3xdsketchup.pkg - where looking at its pre and postinstall scripts, it absolutely does not.

The installer is so bad it needs flagged as full of bugs of itself.