macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am it lists "Vectorworks 2017" instead of "Vectorworks". It has somehow remembered this from the previous installation. (And I can't remove it).
This is by design. User settings are not deleted when uninstalling the driver. The driver is installed "per machine" and the settings are "per user". The installer does not access user files, only the system-wide location (available to all users).

The user settings are saved to ~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I think it is very goood that uninstallling the driver keeps the user settings.
Now that I know where I could delete them manually if needed.

But is there any better way to delete all delivered settings of Apps
that I don't even have installed, like Autocad, Adobe Products, ....
than to search and delete manually in the plist file ?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:25 pm But is there any better way to delete all delivered settings of Apps
that I don't even have installed, like Autocad, Adobe Products, ....
Are you looking at the user plist or the driver defaults?

The user plist is located at:
~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist

Note the leading tilde character in the above path.

The drive defaults (no tilde) are at:
/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:16 am
lineweight wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:51 am it lists "Vectorworks 2017" instead of "Vectorworks". It has somehow remembered this from the previous installation. (And I can't remove it).
This is by design. User settings are not deleted when uninstalling the driver. The driver is installed "per machine" and the settings are "per user". The installer does not access user files, only the system-wide location (available to all users).

The user settings are saved to ~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist
Thank you for the explanation. What confuses me is that the settings are named after the application. So it's named "Vectorworks 2017" because that's what I called it at some time in the past, but then it appears in the options on a computer where Vectorworks 2017 is not even installed. I'm given the option of "adding" Vectorworks 2021 to that list, and then they both appear, but that leaves me uncertain about which set of settings are actually going to be applied when I start using Vectorworks 2021. I am unable to delete or rename the "Vectorworks 2017" settings, except, I suppose if I go to that .plist file and change something manually.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

But the user PLISt is what is shown in my Driver Settings ?
So I would have to go through the list in any case.

The driver defaults list in an edited/cleaned mode would prevent
me from 3DConnexion writing those delivered unwanted App Settings
into my user PLIST.
But wouldn't the next driver update overwrite a cleaned driver default
PLIST each time ?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

lineweight wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:38 pm I am unable to delete or rename the "Vectorworks 2017" settings, except, I suppose if I go to that .plist file and change something manually.
I opened it in Text Edit App,
searched for 2017, or which year I had, edited, deleted and saved.
Now I have Vectorworks, Bricscad, ... again.
But how long ?

Will the next driver Update, if e.g. Acrobat Professional will get updated Settings,
bring back that unwanted Adobe Product Setting back in my user settings PLIST ?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 am but noticed that an additional macOS restart is needed after macOS pairing, otherwise 3Dx driver doesn't recon CWM 3Dx inputs (it works as standard bluetooth mouse).
We have more details on issue WIN-288.

As it turns out, this seems to be a system problem and not a driver bug as we initially determined. Immediately after pairing, the device is enumerated differently and all access to the device is blocked. We don't know why causes this problem and we believe only Apple can resolve it.

As a workaround, the system can be rebooted or Bluetooth can be cycled (disable Bluetooth in System Preferences or the top bar and re-enabled it).
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

I updated my iMac Pro to Mac OS 11.2.2 and there is no change in my 3D Spacemouse Wireless functions. However Trainer is working and it works for a while in Vectorworks with only random voom outs in space. In Vectorworks it work better in small objects or files. Large complex files perform poorly in fly over with the spacemouse. Probably a combined issue of both Vectorworks 2021 SP2.1 and the 3D connection beta driver.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:49 am We have more details on issue WIN-288.

We don't know why causes this problem and we believe only Apple can resolve it.
Sounds very bad in terms of timing resolution. Could you try to engage with Apple devs? Or could it be a CMW firmware glitch?
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I noted that both Lychee Slicer & Chitu Slicer are supposed to be able to USE 3dConnexion Space mouse.. but.. No luck.. Is this only working on PC? i see the options in Lychee on the Mac to turn it on and set axis inversions etc.. I even added Lychee through "add app" in the 3dc preference. Nothing moves at all. Thoughts?
Can anyone confirm this is working for them on mac?
i'm on MacOs 11.3 FYI
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Using the latest beta driver (3295), I have recently gotten several crashes in SketchUp when I closed the last model view window and then touched the space navigator. The crash reports say there was an abort called from within the 3DConnexion driver due to inability to find an active model. So, it would seem that stable support for SketchUp is not quite there yet.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

rjtiedeman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 am I updated my iMac Pro to Mac OS 11.2.2 and there is no change in my 3D Spacemouse Wireless functions. However Trainer is working and it works for a while in Vectorworks with only random voom outs in space. In Vectorworks it work better in small objects or files. Large complex files perform poorly in fly over with the spacemouse. Probably a combined issue of both Vectorworks 2021 SP2.1 and the 3D connection beta driver.
That's exactly what I'm finding in VW2021 - fine in small files but poor performance in flyover in large complex files. But I think that might be a problem at VW's end, because I see the same in VW2021 running on Mojave.

Regarding the random zoom-outs, do you feel that updating to 11.2.2 has improved that?
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

For me, in large files,
Vectorworks 3D View also lags with 3D Navigator,
while running noticeably faster when I just use CTRL+MMB by
Mouse to orbit.

But this is on Windows10 !?
Since I have an AMD RX 6800 GPU ?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:13 am Or could it be a CMW firmware glitch?
Very unlikely. The devices (it's not limited to the CMW) enumerate differently immediately after pairing compared to what it enumerates after the user disables and then enables Bluetooth on the system. This indicates a system issue.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

slbaumgartner wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:02 pm The crash reports say there was an abort called from within the 3DConnexion driver due to inability to find an active model. So, it would seem that stable support for SketchUp is not quite there yet.
Thank you for reporting this issue. From the description, this does not appear to be a new problem.