macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

ozchap wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:12 pm
ozchap wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:40 pm Beta driver does not work with secondlife on either Catalina or Big Sur. It operates with the trainer app, is visible to secondlife, bit mo movement to. motion or. button activation.
Installed beta8. Still no joy.
We believe the issue with Second Life / Firestorm isn't related to the driver but rather the new operating system version. Second Life does not use the driver API to support 3Dconnexion's products, relying instead on a system interface.

We recommend our customers, users of Second Life, to get in touch with Linden Lab and see if they can look into the issue.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi vlxjim,
vlxjim wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm When you try to access the preferences it comes up with a blank window now.
3DxWareMac_v10-7-0_r3277.dmg
macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)
As far as our team is aware, this is the first report of that particular issue. If we have not seen the "3Dconnexion" preferences ever coming up blank like that and no customer had reported it to us until now.

Can you give us the system details?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tdw,
tdw wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:35 am Google Earth Pro 7.3.3 running on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 is completely broken with a SpaceMouse Compact.
We are aware of a problem with Google Earth and we're trying to resolve it.
There appears to have been no development or testing carried out until the final public release is available. Why?
3Dconnexion has been working on a solution for macOS 11 since WWDC 2019. See this post (also copied below).
ngomes wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:54 am 3Dconnexion was unable to complete the driver for macOS 11 in time for the release of the new system. As mentioned before, we have been working on a solution since WWDC 2019 but we have not yet succeeded.

Why didn't we release the beta driver before? The driver isn't ready yet, obviously enough, and there was no point in asking our customers to test what we know is not even close to be finished.

Why is the beta available now? We decided to release it since customers have begun to transition to macOS 11 and at least some can use their device with a few applications. We believe that's a better approach than locking everything out.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

drunknbass wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 am Is this a bug? Firmware 0..
Not all devices will report the firmware over a wireless connection. If you connect your SpaceMouse using a cable, it will display the correct firmware version.
Eze

Post by Eze »

This beta does not help to use with sketchup and it is hard to get any kind of straight answer about any kind of fix, or acknowledgment that there is a problem with this . Please advise...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Eze wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 am This beta does not help to use with sketchup and it is hard to get any kind of straight answer about any kind of fix, or acknowledgment that there is a problem with this . Please advise...
As mentioned before, SketchUp support has been available since Nov 23rd, over a week ago. You will need to ensure you have downloaded the very latest beta (see this post).

You can also try removing the software, reboot your Mac and then install the latest "beta" driver (revision "r3277" as of writing this).

I have now replied directly to two of your requests on SketchUp. Other customers are reporting success in using SketchUp in macOS 11. They're also reporting SketchUp version 2021 (released two weeks ago) is working for them.
xojiostou

Post by xojiostou »

SpaceMouse Wireless on Big Sur with beta Driver has some problems with emulating "Command" keystroke (actually any key) in Press and Hold mode. It used to work just fine in Catalina. Doesn't work in Big Sur at all.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi xojiostou,
xojiostou wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 am SpaceMouse Wireless on Big Sur with beta Driver has some problems with emulating "Command" keystroke (actually any key) in Press and Hold mode. It used to work just fine in Catalina. Doesn't work in Big Sur at all.
Keystroke and "2D mouse" actions are not finalised yet. We will address this once we have sorted the CadMouse buttons issues.
ozchap

Post by ozchap »

Be aware.. firestorm has worked TWICE in the last 3 weeks using the beta driver. I suspected it was due to a power up. boot but I haven't been able to replicate.
Eze

Post by Eze »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:18 am
Eze wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 am This beta does not help to use with sketchup and it is hard to get any kind of straight answer about any kind of fix, or acknowledgment that there is a problem with this . Please advise...
As mentioned before, SketchUp support has been available since Nov 23rd, over a week ago. You will need to ensure you have downloaded the very latest beta (see this post).

First of all let me apologize because I think my frustration is coming off as mean towards you. Thank you ngomes, for your help.

You can also try removing the software, reboot your Mac and then install the latest "beta" driver (revision "r3277" as of writing this).

I removed the software rebooted the system, downloaded the correct beta and while I can use the trainer just as it should go, I get 0 response on sketchup.

I have now replied directly to two of your requests on SketchUp. Other customers are reporting success in using SketchUp in macOS 11. They're also reporting SketchUp version 2021 (released two weeks ago) is working for them.

Good to know that others are getting success with SketchUp. Just to clarify, I am using an M1 MacBook Pro with SketchUp 2021.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Eze wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 am Just to clarify, I am using an M1 MacBook Pro with SketchUp 2021. [/b]
That might just explain it as our beta driver does not have binaries for the M1 and hasn't yet been qualified in the new platform. It will take us a while to begin shipping a "universal" driver. The issue that you are seeing may be caused by a limitation in the translation layer (Rosetta 2).
KlaudioPer

Post by KlaudioPer »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 am 3Dconnexon released "beta 8" (revision r3277) of the new driver for macOS. The new build can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here.

Among other fixes, we believe to have resolved the Cinema 4D issue (MAC-241) and to close the issue we only confirmation from our customers.
Hi gnomes,
I installed the beta 8 (r3277) on my SME and the buttons from 1 to 12 are still NOT working, each of them doesn't respond to the commands associated on the display. Testing it on Fusion 360
Any thoughts ?
Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

KlaudioPer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:24 am I installed the beta 8 (r3277) on my SME and the buttons from 1 to 12 are still NOT working, each of them doesn't respond to the commands associated on the display. Testing it on Fusion 360
Any thoughts ?
Can you tell me what is assigned to a button that does not work?
tomastv

Post by tomastv »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:29 am Hi vlxjim,
vlxjim wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:19 pm When you try to access the preferences it comes up with a blank window now.
3DxWareMac_v10-7-0_r3277.dmg
macOS 11.0.1 (20B29)
As far as our team is aware, this is the first report of that particular issue. If we have not seen the "3Dconnexion" preferences ever coming up blank like that and no customer had reported it to us until now.

Can you give us the system details?
Same issue here.
tomastv

Post by tomastv »

Tilt, spin, roll do not work in Rhino.