macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cjadams

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by cjadams »

One thing that seems to be missing from this whole equation is it sounds like you guys aren't even talking to Apple. you have said over and over that you were trying to work on this driver since before WWDC last summer or the summer before. I can't believe things are this broken and that Apple doesn't know how to tell you to proceed. I think that is the problem most of us as customers are having the frustration with. This isn't a matter of the driver not working or if it's better in beta.. it's that you guys don't serm to know the way to get it to work properly. it seems that you're trying to do this in the dark without actually working with Apple! I assume you guys do have developer accounts and should have all the resources that Apple has to bare. Other companies are finding ways to make the new driver situation work.

I can only conclude that to make these work you have do something really strange driver wise. Apple should be able to tell you just want to do to get this to work.

Every company out there is having to ditch kexts for its more secure replacement. There should be an easy way to do this if you talk to the Apple devs.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I appreciate that there is a Beta driver for Big Sur,
better than nothing.

On the other hand,
(OK no 3D Navigation inside)
I saw my Wacom Cintiq 27", with Wacom Pen and Wacom Remote inputs,
flawlessly running from first Big Sur Betas over Big Sur official,
over M1 Mac Mini installation, flawlessly with a Driver already released
some months before that conversion started.
And all the Modifier keys are working with my former Intel Settings.
I didn't even notice any migration hickups over that half year period.

So I have to think that on their side, there always had been a much better
implementation and use of Apple Standards before.

TL;DR;
I think we have some understanding for the current situation,
but I personally think it could have been much better from the beginning
when the first Apple compatibility was promised, around when Enterprise
released. Maybe we would already have Icons on our Mac driven
Enterprise Displays.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I too appreciate the beta.. don't get me wrong.. it IS better than.. no compatibility... what mystifies US is.. with your resources.. you should have easy access to Apple and their devs. and this "Trying to get it to work" stuff should have been a total NON issue.. Apple has provided a mechinizm to do most of what is needed.. I can also confirm that all the wacom single modified DO in fact work in latest beta of BigSur.
These are single non chorded shortcuts just for CTRL ALT/OPT and CMD etc. These do NOT have any other keys bound to them. i.e CMD+A etc.
Just stand alone modifiers. SO it CAN work.. i would maybe even jump out on a limb and email wacom.. or even Apple see what they have done..rather than re-inventing the wheel. I just was able to use those stand-alone modifiers just fine on the wacom remote.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

TL:DR - at least we know its possible.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Arturs wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:57 pm a couple of reboots did the trick.
All our software is signed and also notarised by Apple. It should work after the first reboot as well as after the second.

Basically, we don't know why multiple reboots seem to be necessary for users. It may be related to an online check executed by the system that may fail if the server is down or the Internet connectivity is down but this is nothing more than an educated guess.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:59 pm One thing that seems to be missing from this whole equation is it sounds like you guys aren't even talking to Apple.
Obviously, we can't stop you from speculating about Apple here, in this Forum or anywhere else, but we can at least ask you to refrain from doing so.

3Dconnexion has many partners and we do not publicly discuss the content of those conversations. It doesn't matter if it's Apple, Microsoft or any of the others. We simply don't disclose any of that unless explicitly agreed to do so.

cjadams, please stop speculating about our relationships with third-parties as it isn't helpful to those involved.

Anyone should feel free to constructively criticise our company, 3Dconnexion, since it can only help us to do better.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

What is a bit frustrating, is to not have any timescale for things being fixed.
Will it be one week from now, one month, six months?
Problems with the 3dc device are what is currently preventing me from moving to an M1 mac. If it's "nearly fixed" then it's ok to make do for a couple of weeks. If it's longer than that, maybe I need to put the M1 in a cupboard for a few months, and also cancel plans to upgrade things like software licences that are only worth doing if I am moving to new hardware.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:29 am Problems with the 3dc device are what is currently preventing me from moving to an M1 mac.
What "problems" are you referring to?

We're tracking several issues, some will take more time than others. If you can tell us what these are, we can perhaps explain when we can address them.

For example, if the issue is Google Earth, then there's no estimate since we believe changes to the application are necessary. The issue with key emulation interfering with the keyboard should be fixed in the next beta (days away).
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

you misunderstand i was meanly suggesting that as the OS creator they could help you get around the key stroke problem.

Glad to hear there has been progress!

I do love your gear! Its built very well and now if only adobe would add substance painter support the space mouse it would be so beneficial to the workflow.

I really miss using it in substance painter.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 am
lineweight wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:29 am Problems with the 3dc device are what is currently preventing me from moving to an M1 mac.
What "problems" are you referring to?

We're tracking several issues, some will take more time than others. If you can tell us what these are, we can perhaps explain when we can address them.
My issues are in Vectorworks. The biggest one is the random zoom-outs which make it unusable, and which you said is being tracked as MAC-268.

Then there is a more general issue of jerky motion in Vectorworks which I don't think is limited to Big Sur, and may be something that Vectorworks needs to fix, but I'm not sure. I've mentioned it here on another thread.

But MAC-268 is the main thing that's making my 3dc device unusable in Big Sur.
briwil

Post by briwil »

I have a XP Pen Star 06 tablet, and that thing works fine in ZBrush on my M1 MacBookAir, as far as modifier keys; not really understand why its taking so long to implement such a standard thing here, if 3DConnexion had a useable return policy (i.e. not forcing me to ship back to UK within 14 days) I would've returned device by now. Here the link to DriverKit documentation guys, shouldn't be so hard- https://developer.apple.com/documentation/driverkit.

I have a raspberry pi connecting to my Mac via bluetooth that has more functionality than my SpaceMouse at this point.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 am My issues are in Vectorworks. The biggest one is the random zoom-outs which make it unusable, and which you said is being tracked as MAC-268.
We're still tracking MAC-268, yes.

Please check if you're already using SP3 for Vectorworks 2021. If not, then upgrade to SP3 and let us know if the "jump" issue is affected, perhaps reducing the likelihood of these spurious jumps.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:14 am
lineweight wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 am My issues are in Vectorworks. The biggest one is the random zoom-outs which make it unusable, and which you said is being tracked as MAC-268.
We're still tracking MAC-268, yes.

Please check if you're already using SP3 for Vectorworks 2021. If not, then upgrade to SP3 and let us know if the "jump" issue is affected, perhaps reducing the likelihood of these spurious jumps.
As far as I know, SP3 for Vectorworks 2021 has not been released yet.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:51 am As far as I know, SP3 for Vectorworks 2021 has not been released yet.
When SP3 for SW2021 is released and you can install it, please check if it has an impact on the "jump" issue.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Heard of SP3 some weeks ago.
I think it is just for elected Beta users but may be released soon.

For me View is also heavily jumping around in VW.
I thought this had been better before, so maybe got worse with
Big Sur 11.3 ?

Also I think that after using VW,
VW is causing CADMouse to loose Modifier Keys in Keystroke assignments (especially CMD)
and for loosing CMD from keyboard !? in Mail at the same time.
Either Vectorworks or Bricscad.