macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:01 pm Enterprise and CADMouse are back in feature state of first
3DCon Big Sur Beta Driver - before the Firmware Update.
The firmware update is unrelated to keyboard key emulation. It was needed only for the original CadMouse and the CadMouse Wireless to enable the buttons to operate as regular mouse buttons in macOS 11 (click, double-click).

If you can, please follow the instructions in the topic "Examine the Installed System Extensions" in this page. It should tell us the status of the system extension used in the emulation feature.

Also, make sure you "allow" the program "3DconnexionHelper" in the "General" tab of the "Security & Privacy" pane of System Preferences. Without this enabled, the program cannot proceed.
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:40 am
zoomer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:01 pm Enterprise and CADMouse are back in feature state of first
The firmware update is unrelated to keyboard key emulation. It was needed only for the original CadMouse and the CadMouse Wireless to enable the buttons to operate as regular mouse buttons in macOS 11 (click, double-click).

If you can, please follow the instructions in the topic "Examine the Installed System Extensions" in this page. It should tell us the status of the system extension used in the emulation feature.

Also, make sure you "allow" the program "3DconnexionHelper" in the "General" tab of the "Security & Privacy" pane of System Preferences. Without this enabled, the program cannot proceed.
mine reports fg: no current job
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:46 am mine reports fg: no current job
It seems that you're using the "fg" command (foreground). Do not copy the percent sign before the command. The command to check what system extensions are loaded is:

Code: Select all

systemextensionsctl list
The expect output is as follows:

user@mac ~ % systemextensionsctl list
1 extension(s)
--- com.apple.system_extension.driver_extension
enabled	active	teamID	bundleID (version)	name	[state]
*	*	9D93Y2RD6L	com.3dconnexion.dext (1.0/1)	com.3dconnexion.dext	[activated enabled]
user@mac ~ %
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:54 am
garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:46 am mine reports fg: no current job
It seems that you're using the "fg" command (foreground). Do not copy the percent sign before the command. The command to check what system extensions are loaded is:

systemextensionsctl list
The expect output is as follows:

user@mac ~ % systemextensionsctl list
1 extension(s)
--- com.apple.system_extension.driver_extension
enabled	active	teamID	bundleID (version)	name	[state]
*	*	9D93Y2RD6L	com.3dconnexion.dext (1.0/1)	com.3dconnexion.dext	[activated enabled]
user@mac ~ %
--- com.apple.system_extension.network_extension
enabled active teamID bundleID (version) name [state]
* * DE8Y96K9QP com.cisco.anyconnect.macos.acsockext (4.10.00093/4.10.00093) Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter Extension [activated enabled]
* * DE8Y96K9QP com.cisco.endpoint.svc.networkextension (1.14.1/807) AMP Network Extension [activated enabled]
--- com.apple.system_extension.endpoint_security
* * DE8Y96K9QP com.cisco.endpoint.svc.securityextension (1.14.1/807) AMP Security Extension [activated enabled]
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 am --- com.apple.system_extension.network_extension
* * DE8Y96K9QP com.cisco.anyconnect.macos.acsockext (4.10.00093/4.10.00093) Cisco AnyConnect Socket Filter Extension [activated enabled]
* * DE8Y96K9QP com.cisco.endpoint.svc.networkextension (1.14.1/807) AMP Network Extension [activated enabled]
* * DE8Y96K9QP com.cisco.endpoint.svc.securityextension (1.14.1/807) AMP Security Extension [activated enabled]
The driver extension is not listed. Either you did not install the "beta 19" driver or the extension was somehow blocked.

Perhaps you can try cycling the driver installation: go to "Applications" > 3Dconnexion and "uninstall" the software. Then reboot, reinstall the driver and, once more, reboot the system. Ensure you have the "r3356" build ("beta 19").
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:34 am
garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 am --- com.apple.system_extension.network_extension
The driver extension is not listed. Either you did not install the "beta 19" driver or the extension was somehow blocked.

Perhaps you can try cycling the driver installation: go to "Applications" > 3Dconnexion and "uninstall" the software. Then reboot, reinstall the driver and, once more, reboot the system. Ensure you have the "r3356" build ("beta 19").
And that is precisely the problem, been through those steps numerous times. The result is always the same...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.31.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.31.20 AM.png (177.09 KiB) Viewed 23512 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:43 am And that is precisely the problem, been through those steps numerous times. The result is always the same...
Got it. I should have noticed that you were the customer reporting this issue yesterday (you already had mentioned trying to install repeatedly).

Check if the system extension file is copied in the required directory:

ls -l /Library/DriverExtensions
Should return the following:

user@mac ~ % ls -l /Library/DriverExtensions
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  88 Jul 20 11:49 com.3dconnexion.dext.dext -> /Library/SystemExtensions/15233310-7B94-4060-BDA7-8D4164460F03/com.3dconnexion.dext.dext
user@mac ~ %
You can also try checking the logs in the "Console" app. Specifically, the "install.log" listed under the "Log Reports" category. See if there are any errors (we don't know what these could be) for "3dconnexion" or "dext" references.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:40 am
I can't :)

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:40 am Also, make sure you "allow" the program "3DconnexionHelper" in the "General" tab of the "Security & Privacy" pane of System Preferences. Without this enabled, the program cannot proceed.
System Extension List Catalog listing was :
com.3dconnexion.dext [activated waiting for user]

So I checked my Apple Settings Privacy again and just found the request
was still available and waiting for being accepted. Did so with password.

System Extension List Catalog is now :
com.3dconnexion.dext [activated enabled]

And everything seems to work fine again.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:18 am And everything seems to work fine again.
Excellent. Thank you for looking into this again.

We're back down to a single case as reported by @garybart.
garybart

Post by garybart »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:46 am
garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:43 am And that is precisely the problem, been through those steps numerous times. The result is always the same...
Got it. I should have noticed that you were the customer reporting this issue yesterday (you already had mentioned trying to install repeatedly).

Check if the system extension file is copied in the required directory:

ls -l /Library/DriverExtensions
Should return the following:

user@mac ~ % ls -l /Library/DriverExtensions
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  88 Jul 20 11:49 com.3dconnexion.dext.dext -> /Library/SystemExtensions/15233310-7B94-4060-BDA7-8D4164460F03/com.3dconnexion.dext.dext
user@mac ~ %
You can also try checking the logs in the "Console" app. Specifically, the "install.log" listed under the "Log Reports" category. See if there are any errors (we don't know what these could be) for "3dconnexion" or "dext" references.
The directory is empty and I was going to attach the log, but the forum apparently doesn't support text file uploads, there are errors but they mean nothing to me...

I can post the log here but it is really long. LMK what to do.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

It was empty for me too.

The problem was just not have been accepting the activation in
Privacy Settings directly in parent tab.
And I think I wasn't really asked for or that the Privacy Settings opened automatically.

Maybe I did not reboot again another time after last installation so for me
the request was still active or available in Privacy Settings.
Maybe not for you because of another reboot.
AFAIK, if the request has gone for reboot reasons, there is no other way than install again.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:39 pm And I think I wasn't really asked for or that the Privacy Settings opened automatically.
You were asked. The prompt has two options. One of them, misleadingly labelled "OK", effectively means "ignore" instead of doing something as users would expect (allowing the extension to load, in this case). The button should be labelled "Close" to avoid confusion.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

garybart wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:26 pm LMK what to do.
Please try the following procedure: open Terminal and run the following two commands.

First, terminate the running instance of "3DconnexionHelper" (the driver agent):

sudo killall 3DconnexionHelper
Then, start the driver executable with the "-install" option:

/Applications/3Dconnexion/3DconnexionHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/3DconnexionHelper -install
Let us know what is the output of the second command.

To relaunch the "3DconnexionHelper" program, simply reboot the system.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:31 am You were asked. The prompt has two options. One of them, misleadingly labelled "OK", effectively means "ignore" instead of doing something as users would expect (allowing the extension to load, in this case). The button should be labelled "Close" to avoid confusion.
I was asked at least 2 times.
And I think I realized that OK is the wrong button, so I got a larger dialog asking
for my password.
But could be that this was my second attempt after killing the 3DConnexion Helper.

Will look closer when the next driver arrives.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:56 am Will look closer when the next driver arrives.
The prompt only comes up once. After the extension is "allowed", the system keeps the authorisation in place.

Thankfully.