macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

zoomer

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:55 am Perhaps you have assigned a button action that controls this app?
Not that I would ever do that, but I checked Settings again and
can't find it anywhere.

Yesterday evening I got CADMouse running by setting side buttons to
2D Mouse Button 5 + 6 in both all Apps and Safari Setting.

This morning after restarting it did no more work.
I checked the settings in driver and it was back to CMD+ö and ä.
Reset to button 5 + 6 again but it did not work.

Tried activating Music.app and CADMouse worked again ... so far.
I see that in the dropdown where you switch between e.g. 3d or 2D mouse,
at the end is an entry "Music Command".
But that is valid for old Space Nav too.
Frank_Online

Post by Frank_Online »

ngomes wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:18 am
falkman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:02 am it mostly seems that 3DxNLServer [is] still running when I look (but sometimes I get a notification that server has stopped)
It seems that 3DxNLServer is hanging after a few connections retries. It does not just blocks in one go. It's a progressive degradation.
Could you please provide a timeframe in which this error will be fixed. I use Onshape for my daily work and it's horrible to reset everything every couple of minutes! Or can I downgrade to another version that doesn't have this error?

Greetings, Frank
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Frank_Online wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:26 am Could you please provide a timeframe in which this error will be fixed. I use Onshape for my daily work and it's horrible to reset everything every couple of minutes! Or can I downgrade to another version that doesn't have this error?
We can't yet estimate when the issue (MAC-323) will be resolved but you can download "beta 19" from here.
RichW

Post by RichW »

Sketchup 21.1.331 navigation ceases to work after a couple of minutes use on SpaceMouse Pro Wireless FW:4.38 and 3DXware 10.7.0(3386); MacOS 11.6. Big Sur.

Sketchup hangs on exit and has to be force-quit resulting in a dump to be sent to Apple. This renders the SpaceMouse unusable. Big Sur has been available to developers for 18 months and is now superseded by Monterey. Why does it take so long to get a working driver?
michaelprichard

Post by michaelprichard »

ngomes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:12 am
Frank_Online wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:26 am Could you please provide a timeframe in which this error will be fixed. I use Onshape for my daily work and it's horrible to reset everything every couple of minutes! Or can I downgrade to another version that doesn't have this error?
We can't yet estimate when the issue (MAC-323) will be resolved but you can download "beta 19" from here.
Thanks for the note and the link to the older version which I can confirm works much better than the latest beta, at least on my M1 with Monterey 12.0.1. I, too, was suffering in Onshape with 1-5min of runtime prior to disconnect/fail. After installation and reboot (back to r3356) I did have an almost immediate failure, despite 3DxNLServer, ..Menu and ..Numpad all still running, but killing and relaunching the Server cured this and it's been stable for the last 24 hours.
pcolton

Post by pcolton »

SpaceMouse with Cinema 4D R25 still not working for me with latest drivers on M1 Mac on Monterey (or Big Sur). Any updates on a fix? I recently purchased my SpaceMouse and it's bricked on my desk. Thanks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

pcolton wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:42 am SpaceMouse with Cinema 4D R25 still not working for me with latest drivers on M1 Mac on Monterey (or Big Sur). Any updates on a fix?
We're tracking this issue with reference MAC-318.

We have not yet been able to determine where exactly is the problem, application or driver, but we believe it to be a build issue with one of the driver frameworks affecting only the M1.

As a temporary workaround, you can try forcing R25 to run in Rosetta.

Edit: Rosetta won't work (see post immediately below).
pcolton

Post by pcolton »

Thanks for the update. Redshift no longer works in Rosetta, so if I force Rosetta then I break rendering (Cinema 4D actually crashes and won’t even start).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

pcolton wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:00 am Redshift no longer works in Rosetta, so if I force Rosetta then I break rendering (Cinema 4D actually crashes and won’t even start).
Understood. I've edited my earlier post.
pcolton

Post by pcolton »

Thanks. For what it's worth, I did some quick snooping, and these libraries, which are part of the 3DxNLServer file (I don't know what the server us used for), are not M1 ready:

Code: Select all

libfreebl3.dylib:      Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnspr4.dylib:        Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnss3.dylib:         Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnssdbm3.dylib:      Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnssutil3.dylib:     Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libplc4.dylib:         Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libplds4.dylib:        Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libsoftokn3.dylib:     Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
Only these are M1 ready:

libcrypto.1.1.1.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64] [arm64]
libcrypto.1.1.1.dylib (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libcrypto.1.1.1.dylib (for architecture arm64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library arm64

libssl.1.1.dylib:      Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures: [x86_64:Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64] [arm64:Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library arm64]
libssl.1.1.dylib (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libssl.1.1.dylib (for architecture arm64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library arm64
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

pcolton wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:41 am [...] these libraries, which are part of the 3DxNLServer file (I don't know what the server us used for), are not M1 ready:

libfreebl3.dylib:      Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnspr4.dylib:        Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnss3.dylib:         Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnssdbm3.dylib:      Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libnssutil3.dylib:     Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libplc4.dylib:         Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libplds4.dylib:        Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
libsoftokn3.dylib:     Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
That's expected. These are some of the Mozilla NSS libraries and are only relevant when using a web program in Firefox. They have no bearing on Cinema 4D.
pcolton wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:41 am 3DxNLServer file (I don't know what the server us used for),
This is the "Navigation Library Proxy Server", a program ("agent") that provides the data transportation over a Secure WeckSocket between web progams (such as Onshape) and the "Navigation Library" (NL) driver API.
wolfspyre

Post by wolfspyre »

RichW wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:28 pm Sketchup 21.1.331 navigation ceases to work after a couple of minutes use on SpaceMouse Pro Wireless FW:4.38 and 3DXware 10.7.0(3386); MacOS 11.6. Big Sur.

Sketchup hangs on exit and has to be force-quit resulting in a dump to be sent to Apple. This renders the SpaceMouse unusable. Big Sur has been available to developers for 18 months and is now superseded by Monterey. Why does it take so long to get a working driver?
Wanted to ++ this. My setup's different but same experience:

imac18,3 4.25Ghz 64G ram
12.1 beta
Sketchup Version 21.1.331
Spacemouse Enterprise Fw 4.42
3DxMacCore 1.2.0.252
3DxWare 10.7.0 (3386)

Sketchup performance is abysmal, and it loses the ability to hear the spacemouse within 10min of opening... causing me to have to save, save again, close sketchup, kill sketchup, (occasionally replug the spacemouse, because the display glitches out ((bottom half of the lcd panel becomes just rgb noise)) )
start over.

this works twice, at which point I have to reboot the system...
so, I get about 15-20 minutes of usable time an hour.

FUN.

(to be clear, I think that this is at LEAST 70% sketchup's fault... but... )
The spacemouse DOES seem to exacerbate the problem.

If I DO NOT USE the spacemouse, I will usually get 30-40 min of usable time before sketchup starts to eat its own hands, but that's really not what I'd consider 'performant'
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

wolfspyre wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:56 am [...]
3DxWare 10.7.0 (3386)

Sketchup performance is abysmal,
[...]
If you're seeing this performance degradation only after updating to "beta 20" (r3386), you may want to consider reverting back to "beta 19" (r3356) available for download here.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

Hi,

I appreciate how difficult verifying software is, so this is not a criticism, but a genuine request for information.

I am a small business owner, that relies on Sketchup and also 3DConnexion to operate efficiently. I also need to balance the need of keep my operating system updated (for security etc) versus leaping to install the "next great thing". As such, I have patiently waited for the official (non beta) release of the new drivers so that I can upgrade my OS. That need is now becoming urgent as some of the security software I use will stop working on Catalina at the end of the year.

(1) is it possible to get a list of the "known issues" for the current version of the beta release, so that I can make a decision about whether I can take a calculated risk and update the 3DConnexion driver?
(2) is it possible that you could release an "official driver" with certain products "unsupported" (software and hardware), allowing at least a portion of your users to upgrade?
(3) what is your estimated timeline for releasing the final driver (what is the date you report to your bosses ... if they ask)?
(4) is it possible for your company to allocate more resources to this endeavour. Having spent good money on 3DConnexion hardware I do feel slightly let down by the company (not R&D) with the time taken to get an updated driver in place (I appreciate this may be out of your control so perhaps you could pass on or direct this question).

To reiterate, this is a genuine request to perhaps help youunderstand the real life situations I suspect a number of your users are in, and to help those users make an educated decision about how to proceed.

Many thanks
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

Is there any word on when we might expect the random SpaceMouse unresponsiveness in Maya (2022.2) in Monterey to be resolved?

At random times (I havent found a specific pattern, and it's not just while (auto)saving) the SpaceMouse knob will stop working in Maya, the buttons continue to function. It is across all viewports and render engines in those viewports.
When I switch to other software or the Demos in System Preferences the SpaceMouse works perfectly fine. But in Maya it still won't respond. After a random time (here, too, I haven't found a pettern) it will spontaneously work again.

Restarting Maya "fixes" the issue.
Turning the SpaceMouse off and on doesn't help. Unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't help.
It's time to roll the dice...