macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

Holliers wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:08 am Thanks, I'll keep a look out.
I will follow up on this thread when RC1 is available for download. I will add a few details on what has changed.
I'm assuming that this is still not classified as "Production Software", so how long do you anticipate this test cycle to last?
At least one more week, perhaps two, assuming no major issues are reported with RC1.
ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

The first release candidate "RC1" (revision r3408) of the new driver for macOS 11 and 12 was published today, December 13th. The installer is available from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

We have fixed the issue (MAC-323) that stopped some programs after a few minutes of use and resolved the "single instance" problem with Archicad. We also believe we have improve the stability with the Maya solution (MAC-275) but, as before, this change is not yet verified.

There are two known issues: MAC-318 (Cinema 4D R25 does not work on M1 machines) and MAC-324 (wireless CadMouse middle mouse button does not close tab in Microsoft Edge). As mentioned before, we have reached out to Maxon to determine how can we resolve the problem (we believe the application has 3D mouse disabled on M1 systems). MAC-324 is an issue introduced in macOS 12 and may require a firmware update for wireless CadMouse devices.
marcarch

Re: macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Beta Driver Available

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:37 am MAC-324 is an issue introduced in macOS 12 and may require a firmware update for wireless CadMouse devices.
Hope it will be ready before Christmas holidays?
RVeldhuyzen

Re: macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

Great news ngomes.
I'll install it right now and I'll report back with my findings once I have spent some time with it this week :)
It's time to roll the dice...
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Installed the RC1 driver, and so far SketchUp hasn't frozen. All seems to be working well! I'll post again if any problems crop up.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

§DCon Driver RC1 seems to work for me fine, so far.

M1 Mini, Monterey 12.1 PB RC2 (?)
Frank_Online

Post by Frank_Online »

Installed the Pre-released Driver but unfortunately after leaving the office for a hour or two the 3D mouse was unresponsive and tried everything I could to get it to work. Reboot my Macbook, change between Chrome and Safari, Wireless and Wired but nothing worked. Downloaded the old driver again that fixed the Onshape NL Server issue. After that everything works stable again....
Jasonhomrighaus

Post by Jasonhomrighaus »

Hi,
I just found the prerelease driver and installed it I have discovered a couple of things

1) was able to resurrect my wired CadMouse!!!!
2) good thing because I have been dealing with massive lag issues and lockups with my CadMouse pro wireless.

After the new driver install the lagginess is still occurring with the wireless pro

Environment details

Mac OS 11.5.2
3DXWare 10
Core Version 1.2.0.260(260)
Ware Version 10.70.0 (3408)

CadMouse Firmware 1.06
Spacemouse Enterprize 4.41
CadMouse Pro Wireless 1.10
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Jasonhomrighaus wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:54 am I have been dealing with massive lag issues and lockups with my CadMouse pro wireless.
Lag issues normally indicate a problem with the wireless connection (radio noise or interference) or perhaps a defective device. The driver is unlikely to have such an effect on a CadMouse (which is connected over Bluetooth).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Frank_Online wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:31 am Installed the Pre-released Driver but unfortunately after leaving the office for a hour or two the 3D mouse was unresponsive and tried everything I could to get it to work. Reboot my Macbook, change between Chrome and Safari, Wireless and Wired but nothing worked.
Likely the driver didn't start on your system. We recently changed the start of the "3DconnexionHelper" program using a LaunchAgent entry and this may have failed on your system.

If you see the 3D mouse becoming "unresponsive" again, please check if you can find the "3DconnexionHelper" program running in Activity Monitor.
bweitzner

Post by bweitzner »

I just wanted to add that I am also seeing the lag issues reported above. Using 3408 on macOS 12.1 with space mouse wireless and PyMOL is my main application space mouse application. I didn't have these problems with the legacy driver using the same space mouse and apps.
bweitzner

Post by bweitzner »

I wanted to add that I am also seeing the lag issues reported above. I am using 3408, macOS 12.1, space mouse wireless and PyMOL is main space mouse application.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bweitzner wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:20 pm I just wanted to add that I am also seeing the lag issues reported above. Using 3408 on macOS 12.1 with space mouse wireless and PyMOL is my main application
Can you reproduce the "lag" issue when using your SpaceMouse with a cable?

We don't have PyMOL to test with. Are there any other applications you can use to check this?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The third release candidate "RC3" (revision r3411) of the new driver for macOS 11 and 12 is now available for download from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

The only visible improvements are the fixes to the "Enable LEDs" option for the "SpaceMouse Compact" and the "SpaceMouse Wireless" (cable connection).

We expect RC3 to be published (unchanged) as the official 10.7.0 driver in early January.

A word from the Engineering team to all our customers using macOS systems: we would like to thank you for all the information you have shared with us. A number of issues were very difficult to pin down but with your assistance, we managed to resolve several of these. Your assistance was (and is) greatly appreciated.

Since RC3 is likely to be published as 10.7.0, we will be winding down the direct participation of Engineering in this Forum with support for the Mac transitioning to the capable hands of our Technical Support team.
bweitzner

Post by bweitzner »

ngomes wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:00 am
bweitzner wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:20 pm I just wanted to add that I am also seeing the lag issues reported above. Using 3408 on macOS 12.1 with space mouse wireless and PyMOL is my main application
Can you reproduce the "lag" issue when using your SpaceMouse with a cable?

We don't have PyMOL to test with. Are there any other applications you can use to check this?
Yes, I see the same behavior when plugged in with a wire. I don't have experience with other applications that use the space mouse, but you can get a free version of pymol from their website or via anaconda:

Code: Select all

conda install pymol -c schrodinger
I would be happy to help you test it out.