macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Re: macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Post by marcarch »

Also I noted that, in Safari and Edge, if I press 3Dx button and, occasionally, the mouse pointer is on a link, 3Dx button recalls the 3Dx Virtual Manu, but 3rd mouse button is performed also (the link under the pointer is opened in a new tab)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 am There’s no advanced mapping feature associated to them
Well, you're not expected to notice a difference: we want the devices to "just work" as users expect.

When the user assigns a "mouse action" to one of the device buttons, the driver will reconfigure the internal state of the device. When the user then operates a button, the device sends data as if it was a different device type (not a regular mouse). What we have found is that macOS 12 is interpreting these low-level non-mouse actions as if they are mouse actions.

We don't know why this happens and why it was introduced in macOS 12. It's similar to the system using a 3D mouse to control the mouse pointer. It's very odd behaviour (we don't see this on other operating systems) and suggests it was purposely developed but, again, we don't know why.

Changing the firmware should resolve MAC-324, at least in macOS 12.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:44 am Also I noted that, in Safari and Edge, if I press 3Dx button and, occasionally, the mouse pointer is on a link, 3Dx button recalls the 3Dx Virtual Manu, but 3rd mouse button is performed also (the link under the pointer is opened in a new tab)
See what you wrote there? You have "is performed also". That's the system interpreting non-mouse actions as if they are, causing two actions to occur at the same time and with unexpected results.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:53 am When the user assigns a "mouse action" to one of the device buttons, the driver will reconfigure the internal state of the device. When the user then operates a button, the device sends data as if it was a different device type (not a regular mouse). What we have found is that macOS 12 is interpreting these low-level non-mouse actions as if they are mouse actions.

We don't know why this happens and why it was introduced in macOS 12. It's similar to the system using a 3D mouse to control the mouse pointer. It's very odd behaviour (we don't see this on other operating systems) and suggests it was purposely developed but, again, we don't know why.

Changing the firmware should resolve MAC-324, at least in macOS 12.
Thank you for all this clarifications. So seems like the OS sees the CadMouse as another bluetooth device (non standard mouse) and as standard mouse at the same time.
Did you try to getting in touch with Apple about this? It’s strange it’s an issue introduced in macOS 12 indeed.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:10 am Did you try to getting in touch with Apple about this? It’s strange it’s an issue introduced in macOS 12 indeed.
As before, we cannot possibly comment on our communications with Apple or any other vendor unless we have an explicit agreement to make the information public.

We confirmed the issue to be a problem in macOS 12 "Monterey", yes. The issue is not reproducible in macOS 11 "Big Sur".
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:16 am We confirmed the issue to be a problem in macOS 12 "Monterey", yes. The issue is not reproducible in macOS 11 "Big Sur".
I see.
Please, make this firmware change a priority before official 10.7.0 driver release.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:53 am make this firmware change a priority before official 10.7.0 driver release.
The firmware change and the driver update are different matters.

We cannot keep our customers waiting for the new driver.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:55 am
The firmware change and the driver update are different matters.
[/quote]
Two sides of the same coin.

Without driver the mouse works as expected;
With the driver it does not.

An user might think it’s a driver issue; we know it not but, since issues happens only with the driver installed, the end user has to choice: use the Wireless CADmouse as standard mouse or use it with issues and advanced mapping features?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Also, does MAC-324 affects Wireless CadMouse Pro?
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

The RC3 drivers cause SketchUp to crash on launch following a system shutdown or restart on my 2019 16" Intel MacBookPro. I confirmed this by disabling the 3DC extension in SketchUp and getting a clean launch, but an immediate crash if the extension is re-enabled. The strange thing is that after a couple of crashes, SketchUp once again launches ok with the 3DC extension enabled. This suggests to me that there is some kind of issue with the background helper daemons needing to start or some other initialization data needed before the SketchUp Ruby extension loads. Once over this initial hurdle, the space mouse works fine in SketchUp.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:37 am Also, does MAC-324 affects Wireless CadMouse Pro?
It affects all CadMouse types when connected over Bluetooth.
woodulike

Post by woodulike »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:12 am
marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:37 am Also, does MAC-324 affects Wireless CadMouse Pro?
It affects all CadMouse types when connected over Bluetooth.
And am I correct in thinking that CadMouse doesn't work with normal wireless?

I've updated to Monterey and have the Enterprise Kit coming as a Christmas present.

Is the Cadmouse going to work?
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

woodulike wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am I've updated to Monterey and have the Enterprise Kit coming as a Christmas present.

It works fine but with some glitches
crobl

Post by crobl »

slbaumgartner wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:27 am The RC3 drivers cause SketchUp to crash on launch ...
Hi slbaumgartner,

I'm sorry to hear that you have issues with RC3. Can you please PN me the crashlogs, which I assume are created by the SketchUp crash. I'd like to have a look into this issue!

For the logs, please open the "Console.app.
On the left of the window select the "Crash reports" section and look for (top center) "SketchUp" (or related).
Right-Click such an entry and select "Reveal in Finder". You'll now have the corresponding ".crashlog" file.
Please send me this/these files.

Thank you very much!
woodulike

Post by woodulike »

marcarch wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:00 pm
woodulike wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 am I've updated to Monterey and have the Enterprise Kit coming as a Christmas present.

It works fine but with some glitches
Are those glitches OS recognising the mouse clicks twice when using the shift key?