macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

timpritlove

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by timpritlove »

ngomes wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:13 am The "beta 15" (revision r3318) of the new driver for macOS was released earlier today. The software can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available on the top post.

We have resolved a couple of issues affecting macros in radial menus (MAC-267) and interfering with modifier key operation in keyboard (MAC-290). The core driver is now built natively for the ARM64 platform (M1 chip).
Just installed it on my Big Sur Mac mini M1und tested with Google Earth again: no changes. It still does no work at all, just weird movements. Still completely unable to continue my work I have been doing on Pre Big Sur Intel Macs. Why is this taking so long? I don't get it.

If this is proving to be too complicated, why don't you just openly document your hardware and look for help in the open source or third party driver space? I just do not understand what can be so complicated to pass realtime mouse movements to a running program. Maybe someone can explain to me what kind of magic needs to be at work here but until then I keep shaking my head.

I really don't want to be a stinky complainer guy but I just would like everything to work again after half a year. All I need is Google Earth rotating in the right direction. Am I asking for too much here?

Tim
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

timpritlove wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:26 am Just installed it on my Big Sur Mac mini M1und tested with Google Earth again: no changes. It still does no work at all, just weird movements. Still completely unable to continue my work I have been doing on Pre Big Sur Intel Macs. Why is this taking so long? I don't get it.
See here and here.
timpritlove

Post by timpritlove »

ngomes wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 am
timpritlove wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:26 am Just installed it on my Big Sur Mac mini M1und tested with Google Earth again: no changes. It still does no work at all, just weird movements. Still completely unable to continue my work I have been doing on Pre Big Sur Intel Macs. Why is this taking so long? I don't get it.
See here and here.
Thanks for the reference. Will put my efforts into bugging Google about this.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

timpritlove wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:58 am Thanks for the reference. Will put my efforts into bugging Google about this.
Please note that Google, like all of us in the industry (customers and vendors), has their own fair share of issues to deal with whenever a new platform comes along.

We have been working with multiple vendors to address problems that have cropped up in macOS 11. Some of these issues aren't solved by flipping a switch and recompiling code. I recommend reaching out to Google and, as a customer, report how you are affected and how you can perhaps verify any fixes ahead of release.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

As we are talking about venders.. can you guys please for the love of god.. talk with Adobe! they support 3d mice for use in various apps but the substance guys can't get their heads out of their arses to support it! I can't think of any program that deserves to USE a 3d mouse then Substance painter! - Either they are lazy.. or its written in such a way to make it hard in that viewport.. Having said that.. i always assumed they would get 3d mouse support way before Zbrush did.. since Zbrush isn't a real 3d viewport to start with..

I have NO idea what their excuse is.. but since that program came out those devs seem to need to be pulled along to make any changes... It took Adobe to BUY them and read them the riot act to support visual effects workflows... everyone was really pushing for 4k and 8k maps etc. for a long time.. it seems they are just stubborn!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 am talk with Adobe!
We do talk to many vendors but we can't replace customer requests. Generating direct customer demand is always the most effective way to add features to any product; be it software, cars, spaceships and anything in between.

If it was just a matter of us talking to vendors, 3D mouse devices would be standard issue at the operating system level.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

That is a good goal honestly !!!!

yeah everyone on this thread should bug adobe by twitter
i have a few times both substance and adobe company twitter..
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

I have to report good news. Yesterday I updated Vectorworks 2021 SP 3.0 to 3.1 and updated the ware to latest beta 3318. Now my 3Dspacemouse is working correctly. No jumping just as it is supposed to. We will see after several days.

Note: unit did not want to pair until 2nd restart with 3Dmouse on before restart.

System Info Mac OS 11.2.3 (20D91), 3DxWare 10.7 (3318)
kaz911

Post by kaz911 »

Posted a bug report via Beta feedback

But thought I'd mention it here

My "new" SpaceMouse Enterprise on latest and previous beta - keeps my MBP 16" 2019 from going to sleep - no matter if connected to external USB via Dock/Screen UBS Hub and Apple TB3 HDMI/USB adaptor (no USB-A on MBP 16" - so adaptors are needed)

Usually if there are any issues with a USB device and external dock etc - using them with the Apple TB3 HDMI/USB adaptor cures all faults.

But not in this case. So for MBP to go to sleep state - I have to disconnect the SpaceMouse Enterprise (FW 4.42)
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Yes same here.

I think Apple brought an iOS-like "Shake to Undo" to Mouse since Catalina.
(So for me since Big Sur after upgrade from Mojave)
If you don't immediately release the Mouse after you clicked on sleep,
the Mac will awake again.
After 20 or 30 second period you can move your mouse again without
unwanted awakening. It would need a click or press of a button on keyboard.

Not a big problem with Magic Mouse if you know about that behavior.
But with my 3DCon CADMouse, which seems to generally have a bit of
overall input lag, it seems more prone to unwanted awakening.
You have to release the CADMouse very fast.
Maybe the CADMouse lag does still fire USB signals when Apple is already
listening to "shake to undo" reactions.

And I think that is also the problem for SM Enterprise.
Enterprise, surprised by System Sleep may still communicate on USB
which Apple misunderstands as an Undo Sleep.
briwil

Post by briwil »

Just tried the newest beta, still no alt/cmd/option in Zbrush.
I'm starting to think this is an April Fool's joke, how can you continue to sell your product and say it 'works with Mac' on the box.
I'm about to initiate a chargeback with my credit card, its ridiculous that I've had this device for like a month and a half and its just been sitting here in the box while I wait for an update that every other company has already updated on their own products.
bollella@icloud.com

Post by bollella@icloud.com »

I'm having similar issues with SPE and Big Sur. I use Maya and Zbrush extensively. Just purchased SPE a few months ago and love the 3d mouse function but am so annoyed with the random crashes it seems to cause and the partial function of the buttons.

SPE is completely non-functional for me with Maya 2022. I have submitted a bug report to Autodesk and got great interaction from them. Dev team is looking into the issue. I submitted numerous bug reports to 3DConnection and have heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgement.

Yeah, I get it, the driver for Big Sur is in Beta... The purpose of a Beta is to gather input from users on issues so it seems that some response to my reports would be in order. Since I don't even get the automated ack I am thinking there is a problem with the bug reporting website code.

Hoping a production release is near and that it will be wonderful.

Anyone know of alternatives to the Space Mouse for MacOS? Hate to consider something different but random crashes, non-functionality, and unresponsive vendor get to me..

Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

bollella@icloud.com wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 am SPE is completely non-functional for me with Maya 2022.
We will include a plug-in for Maya 2022 in the next driver update. In the meantime, I suggest getting in touch with 3Dconnexion's Technical Support team (contact details here) as they may have a pre-release build to share with you.
I submitted numerous bug reports to 3DConnection and have heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgement.
One of our technical support team members (Claire) has looked into this and replied to one of your recent posts here. Please engage with them cordially. My colleagues in Technical Support are a great team and respond within one or two days barring some problem.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I'm gonna say what the elephant in the room is ...we totally appreciate the work you're doing let's get that out-of-the-way first! however other companies have found a way around this pretty easily and pretty quickly . I'm not sure what the holdup is whether it's developer knowledge or whether it's Apple or whether or not your hardware interfaces in a strange way that's not normal compared to wacom or other companies ....but please don't misunderstand our annoyance for not appreciating your work on supporting 3d mice and devices and supporting the Mac!
bollella@icloud.com

Post by bollella@icloud.com »

ngomes wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:09 am
bollella@icloud.com wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 am SPE is completely non-functional for me with Maya 2022.
We will include a plug-in for Maya 2022 in the next driver update. In the meantime, I suggest getting in touch with 3Dconnexion's Technical Support team (contact details here) as they may have a pre-release build to share with you.
I submitted numerous bug reports to 3DConnection and have heard nothing back, not even an acknowledgement.
One of our technical support team members (Claire) has looked into this and replied to one of your recent posts here. Please engage with them cordially. My colleagues in Technical Support are a great team and respond within one or two days barring some problem.
Thanks, Claire has given me the proper phone number for N. Amer. support. I will give them a call tomorrow.
Greg