macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

marcarch

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by marcarch »

Just found a little JBL speaker here.
Apple is wrong: double pairing bluetooth doesn't work with BLE devices, while it works with older bluetooth devices.
MAC-288 is likely a 3Dx driver or Big Sur bug.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:51 pm MAC-288 is likely a 3Dx driver or Big Sur bug.
We're certain it's a driver bug.

Edit (Feb 24, 2021): this seems to a system issue, also reproducible in macOS 11.2.1. After pairing the device over BLE, switching Bluetooth off and back on (or rebooting the system) fixes this problem.
simon.djin

Post by simon.djin »

I noticed a bug concerning the use of the CMD key. I read that you are aware about limitations concerning those "CMD", maybe "OPTION" or "SHIFT" etc emulations, but as I have been able to reproduce a kind of scenario for this bug, I'll try to explain it, just in case it is useful. I noticed this issue on 3291 and just upgraded to 3295, did some restarts, still not resolved. Maybe the issue was also there before 3291, as I only got my devices since 3 months, I wasn't really able to configure them deeply for use in the Finder for example and investigate.

Configuration :
MacBook Pro 15inches 2016
Mas Os Big Sur 11.1
3D Driver r3295
CADMouse Compact Wireless + SpaceMouse Wireless

So I configured my CADMouse Compact Wireless to use some keystroke combinations with the CMD key and assigned these keystrokes on some buttons, to use in the Finder. It works, so I can go to the before/next folder using the backward/forward button, make a new Finder Tab using the radial button for example or even use the middle mouse button for CMD emulation and hold to select multiple files for example with a left click.

BUT I noticed something. When I start my computer which was off and not have yet used a button of my CADMouse where a keystroke CMD combination is assigned, I can use my CMD key on my keyboard as usual also. BUT, still in the Finder, the moment I use one of those CADMouse buttons where a keystroke CMD is assigned, Mac OS start having a strange behavior with my CMD key on the keyboard.

I can no longer use my CMD key on my keyboard to multiselect files for example, it's ignoring it completely. When I try to make a CMD + C after I selected files for example, I have to do it twice. Let's say I select my files the first time, then press CMD + C on my keyboard, it's ignoring the CMD key and deselect my files, as I was only pressing the C key. And when I do this a second time, it's ok, it works. This is not specific to the Finder I think, sometimes it does the same let's say with the "Notes" App when I try to quit the App. I'll do a CMD + Q, he will type a "q" in the Notes, like MacOs once again is ignoring the CMD, and then I do the same thing a second time and it works.
To be more precise, with the example of the CMD + C use in the finder, once I have succeed to do a CMD+C let's say, after having to repeat the keyboard combination a 2nd time, if I do not use one of those CADMouse configured buttons, I can now do another CMD+C without having to do the manipulation in 2 times. BUT the moment I use one of my CADMouse configured buttons, the issue comes back.

It's like your driver was fighting against MacOs to take back the control of this CMD key without letting MacOs do the same at the same moment.

My external keyboard is 100% working and it does the same with my internal keyboard. I can guarantee that it always does this sort of temporary deactivation every time, after one of those CADMouse buttons have been used.

Those Finder actions are 100% working with my CADMouse whenever I configure them with Keystroke combinations directly assigned to a button or with a Macro configured with the same keystroke combination assigned to a button. I tried with only Keystroke combinations assigned to the buttons (and no macros), or only with some macros or even deactivated the CMD key emulation on my middle button, still the same issue everytime...

It is so useful to be able to do these actions on the Finder and in Safari for example to switch from one tab to another, go the before/next page, create a new tab etc.

But it's a bit frustrating that my CMD key on my keyboard is ignored everytime I'll use my CADMouse keystroke buttons as I cannot assign all the actions on my mouse.

Hope everything makes sense, it was not an easy scenario to explain. Hope you'll be able to fix his issue.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

simon.djin wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 am the moment I use one of those CADMouse buttons where a keystroke CMD is assigned, Mac OS start having a strange behavior with my CMD key on the keyboard.

I can no longer use my CMD key on my keyboard to multiselect files for example, it's ignoring it completely.
I say. This is interesting. We have another customer (user name "zoomer" in this Forum) reporting issues with the Cmd key. It may very well be the scenario you have found.

For the sake of brevity, can you please confirm if your scenario matches what follows:
  1. Create a keystroke for Finder using the Cmd key (say "Cmd+C") and assign it to a CadMouse button.
  2. Confirm the keystroke action operates as expected.
  3. Use the same key combination on the keyboard: notice "Cmd" is ignored.
  4. Press the "Cmd" key twice and repeat the key combination using the keyboard: notice the key combination works as expected.
Hope everything makes sense, it was not an easy scenario to explain. Hope you'll be able to fix his issue.
I think it makes perfect sense.

Thank you for taking some of your time to explain the issue so thoroughly. This is very much appreciated.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Yes, that sounds like my experience, just for other Apps.
AFAIK for me CMD+X/C/V worked in Finder, just not in Safari.
While CMD+A in Mail's Windows.

Afaik it always worked when a) holding CMD a bit longer before
clicking the key, or b) when pressing the same Modifier Key
combination for a second time.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

simon.djin wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 am So I configured my CADMouse Compact Wireless to use some keystroke combinations with the CMD key and assigned these keystrokes on some buttons, to use in the Finder. It works,

Indeed.
I have original CADMouse USB, with firmware update,
using CMD+6 (to fit View) in Vectorworks.

And if I use that CADMouse Button in Vectorworks - before going to Mail,
Mail will fail to CMD+A
(And BTW just jump selection to top line instead as already happened)

but wehen I switch over to Safari, and than back to Mail,
CMD+A does work in Mail as expected.

So the CMD Key issue may only occur, if CADMouse was used before with
a "Keystroke"assigned to a Button, containing "CMD.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I think @ simon.djin narrowed it down.

CMD Key on Apple Keyboard will fail - if any Keystroke combination with CMD+....
was used by any 3DConnexion Device's button assignments before !

This will make Apple ignore the first next press of CMD on the keyboard.
So instead of a CMD+A, you will get an "a" input only.

If you hit CMD a second time on key board, it will work again.
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:24 am
RVeldhuyzen wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 am Okay, so it's been two hours or so now and I just had my first Maya "crash".
Thank you for the report, RVeldhuyzen.

Clearly, we have made progress but we're not yet quite there. A crash is still unacceptable.

If you can spot a pattern with these crashes, please let us know. This may be very helpful for diagnosing the issue.
Having that menu might solve this issue without needing to activate the option every time Maya starts?
That menu isn't available anymore. We're looking at finding a workaround for you (may require editing a plist file in a future driver update).
Okay, so here's my findings so far. The viewport glitching is completely gone, I have not experienced anything weird on that front since the last beta. 👍🏻

The crashes are still happening, overall they are less frequent than before, but they still happen quite a bit. Sometimes it's once an hour, sometimes it's once every 10 minutes. And that can be while working in the same file, so it doesn't seem to be anything about the file that's causing it. I have played around with other apps running in the background, but there doesn't seem to be a conflict there, it also happens when Maya is the only app running.

I have identified 3 different types of crashes.

Crash 1:
Maya just crashes and completely disappears from the screen. And after a few seconds the standard crash report window shows up stating there was a crash. There is either no info in there at all, or a line that states:
Application Specific Information:
abort() called
Maya (
a bunch of numbers
) malloc: Heap corruption detected, free list is damaged at numbers
*** Incorrect guard value: numbers
This error is very infrequent. Maybe 5% of the time.

Crash 2:
Maya stops functioning and I get a three maya popups, one about unknown nodes, clicking okay gives me one with a fatal error, clicking okay again gives me the first error again, clicking okay makes Maya crash completely and disappear.

This error is more frequent, maybe 35% of the time.

Crash 3:
This is what happens most often, if this single crash got eliminated while the other two remained I would already be a happy camper.
This is the one where Maya acts like there is a pop-up open. Clicking anywhere in a Maya window results in nothing happening other than the MacOS sound you normally hear when clicking a window that's inactive because a pop-up that is focus locked is also on the screen. But there is no pop-up.
I can move Maya windows (the main window and also secondary tool windows), but I can't resize them, close them or click anything in them.
Keyboard commands don't respond, and I've checked my autosave folder, no new autosave files are created once this "crash" occurs.
With the previous beta this crash also occurred, it lasted a minute or so before Maya would crash to the desktop, but with the latest beta it doesn't seem to actually crash. It just stays open. Not responding to anything. When I check the MacOS "Force Close" dialogue it doesn't indicate that Maya has stopped working, but the only thing I can do is force close it and restart. Leaving it open for 30 minutes does nothing to resolve or worsen the issue.
I have checked extensively to see if there are any windows or dialogue boxes open, but there aren't, telling MacOS to show all Maya windows results in no new windows, telling it to show every single open window (including other apps) doesn't reveal anything. CMD+Tab doesn't show anything. I'm pretty confident there isn't actually another window open.

Not sure how helpful this is, but the three seem to be the only types of crashes happening right now. And I have not identified a clear trigger for any of them.
It's time to roll the dice...
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

nMh wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am Im experiencing the same behavior in Vectorworks with a space navigator and newly purchased space mouse compact: random extreme zoom-out.
Updated to 10.7.0 (3291) and still suffering.
any resolutions on your end?
Another Vectorworks user here. I'm seeing this in VW2020 and VW2021 both on a Mac mini M1, Big Sur.

Is there any news on this? It makes Vectorworks fairly much unusable for me.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:20 am Is there any news on this? It makes Vectorworks fairly much unusable for me.
Only that we can also reproduce this. We had initially reported this as fixed but it is still present. The bug is being tracked with reference MAC-268.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Strange. When initial testing the lates driver after cleen install and
lots of re-boots in between each step, I also thought the unexpected
jumping away out of view geometry was gone.
But it also happened again here.

At least in Vectorworks, for me the Modifier keys on Enterprise seem
to work again on Big Sur and M1.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:57 pm
lineweight wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:20 am Is there any news on this? It makes Vectorworks fairly much unusable for me.
Only that we can also reproduce this. We had initially reported this as fixed but it is still present. The bug is being tracked with reference MAC-268.
Thanks for the reply. I have posted in another thread about what I feel is jerky/laggy performance in general, in VW2020 and VW2021. Is this also something you can reproduce and is it likely to be related - or in other words is there some hope that it might be improved in a future driver update?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

lineweight wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 am have posted in another thread about what I feel is jerky/laggy performance in general, in VW2020 and VW2021.
In general (all applications) or just Vectorworks?
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:41 am
lineweight wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 am have posted in another thread about what I feel is jerky/laggy performance in general, in VW2020 and VW2021.
In general (all applications) or just Vectorworks?
It's really only Vectorworks that I use the device for. When I try it in the 3dconnection 'viewer' with the jet engine, I feel that it is rather less smooth in that (comparing a Big Sur M1 machine with an older Mojave machine), although the difference is less obvious than it is in Vectorworks.

I might be able to try comparing in Sketchup if that would be useful.
lineweight

Post by lineweight »

Another comment: I have been trying various things, installing and uninstalling the driver.

It appears to me, as if the uninstaller does not fully un-install everything. Because one of the things I tried was to export my Vectorworks configuration, from my old Mac, and then import it into the 3dconnexion settings on my new Mac. That configuration was called "Vectorworks 2017", and that's how it then appeared in the list of applications (in the 3dconnexions settings) when I imported it to the new Mac. Before that, all that was in that list was "Vectorworks".

Then, I uninstalled the 3dc driver, and re-installed it. But when I re-install it, and look at that list of applications in the settings again, it lists "Vectorworks 2017" instead of "Vectorworks". It has somehow remembered this from the previous installation. (And I can't remove it).