macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

zoomer

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by zoomer »

zoomer wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 am But from time to time they may do some other unexpected keystrokes
like opening new Windows of a Tab Group, but currently they do nothing.

This is because I had Safari Keystrokes set to "Any Application" Setting,
from the very past where I had no special Safari Setup.
And some minutes ago changed that to default 2D Mouse Click for
Click Button 4 and 5.

So if I hover over something in Safari and using side buttons it will just
do standard clicks now :

As my CADMouse is no more able to recognize the active App and uses
"Any App" setting for all if I get that right.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:57 am There's a minor issue while configuring a new app in 3Dx: after adding the app (Mail in my case) I went to Radial Menus, selected the bottom one, Mapping: Type keystroke and the whole 3Dx Preference Panel crashed.
Crashed again after repeating the steps, stopped crashing if other virtual buttons are configured before the problematic one.

I experienced this even with earlier betas
This is easy to reproduce. Thank you for reporting it, marcarch, as we didn't know about it.

We're tracking this bug as MAC-341.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

And no more that sure,
AFAIR
All strange behavior more likely started already with the new Beta Driver Installation
than with macOS Updates .... which I said before.
(I remember that I installed the newest Beta Driver quite late, 1 or 2 days after its release)
falkman

Post by falkman »

Since installing Beta 10.7.0 (3386) Everything works fine, but in Onshape running in Chromemy Space Navigator stops working after ca 20 minutes use. Full computer reboot solves the issue for another 20 minutes. Pretty annoying! Hoping for a quick fix!

Intel Macbook Pro 13 2016, Big Sur 11.6
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

However,
Enterprise and old SpaceNav work well.

It is just my original USB CADMouse neither using Macros or Keystrokes
nor recognizing the active App.

Firmware Update ?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 am However,
Enterprise and old SpaceNav work well.

It is just my original USB CADMouse neither using Macros or Keystrokes
nor recognizing the active App.

Firmware Update ?
To use the original CadMouse on macOS 11, you need the latest firmware (version 1.06). More details here.

If your CadMouse can be used as a regular mouse on macOS 11 (button clicks work as expected), then you already have firmware v. 1.06.

In all likelihood, you have configured your CadMouse differently from your SpaceMouse Enterprise and SpaceNavigator but this is only an educated guess.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

falkman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am Since installing Beta 10.7.0 (3386) Everything works fine, but in Onshape running in Chromemy Space Navigator stops working after ca 20 minutes use. Full computer reboot solves the issue for another 20 minutes. Pretty annoying! Hoping for a quick fix!

If you can, please check the following when the issue re-occurs: before rebooting, open "Activity Monitor" and check if the processes "3DconnexionHelper" and "3DxNLServer" are still running. From your description, it appears one of these programs or both terminate unexpectedly.

Edit: we can see this. It appears we have a regression in our solution for web programs, affecting Onshape. Instead of rebooting, you can try killing the "3DxNLServer" process (from Activity Monitor), relaunching it by going to Applications > 3Dconnexion > 3DxNLServer in Finder and double-click on "3DxNLServer" and then reloading the web program (Onshape) on the browser.

We're tracking this with reference MAC-323.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:47 am To use the original CadMouse on macOS 11, you need the latest firmware (version 1.06). More details here.

If your CadMouse can be used as a regular mouse on macOS 11 (button clicks work as expected), then you already have firmware v. 1.06.

In all likelihood, you have configured your CadMouse differently from your SpaceMouse Enterprise and SpaceNavigator but this is only an educated guess.
Yes, I have the latest available Firmware installed
(Which was necessary since the first Big Sur)
And yes it clicks work as expected.

I didn't change my CADMouse configuration before having that problem at all.
I just tried to use alterative settings "after" the problems appeared.

I could check if it works with the previous Beta Driver again.
If not, it would be caused by the macOS latest 2 PB Updates.

Today there was another 12.01. (!?) update.
So I am on Build macOS 12.0.1 (21A559)
falkman

Post by falkman »

ngomes wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:50 am
falkman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:18 am Since installing Beta 10.7.0 (3386) Everything works fine, but in Onshape running in Chromemy Space Navigator stops working after ca 20 minutes use. Full computer reboot solves the issue for another 20 minutes. Pretty annoying! Hoping for a quick fix!

If you can, please check the following when the issue re-occurs: before rebooting, open "Activity Monitor" and check if the processes "3DconnexionHelper" and "3DxNLServer" are still running. From your description, it appears one of these programs or both terminate unexpectedly.

Edit: we can see this. It appears we have a regression in our solution for web programs, affecting Onshape. Instead of rebooting, you can try killing the "3DxNLServer" process (from Activity Monitor), relaunching it by going to Applications > 3Dconnexion > 3DxNLServer in Finder and double-click on "3DxNLServer" and then reloading the web program (Onshape) on the browser.

We're tracking this with reference MAC-323.
Thanks - I just logged in here to write about that same solution! I'ts better than a reboot but still annoying... btw it mostly seems that #DxNLServer and 3DconnexionHelper are still running when I look (but sometimes I get a notification that server has stopped), but after killing server, restarting it and restarting Chreome everything works for another 15 minutes.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

falkman wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:02 am it mostly seems that 3DxNLServer [is] still running when I look (but sometimes I get a notification that server has stopped)
It seems that 3DxNLServer is hanging after a few connections retries. It does not just blocks in one go. It's a progressive degradation.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

Updated to macOS Monterey today, backslash emulation issue again present :cry:
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:19 am Updated to macOS Monterey today, backslash emulation issue again present :cry:
Do you see any difference when using an Apple keyboard?

The "Show All Tabs" shortcut changed to "Shift+Cmd+ù" (shift + command + u grave accent) in macOS 12 when using the Italian input source. The shortcut was "Shift+Cmd+\" (shift + command + backslash) in previous versions of the operating system.

Using "Shift+Cmd+ù" works as expected in both Finder and Safari in macOS 12.0.1 (12A559).
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:43 am The "Show All Tabs" shortcut changed to "Shift+Cmd+ù" (shift + command + u grave accent) in macOS 12 when using the Italian input source. The shortcut was "Shift+Cmd+\" (shift + command + backslash) in previous versions of the operating system.
Very sorry about this :oops:
Yes, it works as expected!

Another issue I'm experiencing is with Microsoft Edge: Click Button 3 doesn't work with Middle Button
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:12 am Another issue I'm experiencing is with Microsoft Edge: Click Button 3 doesn't work with Middle Button
And in Safari? Clicking the middle mouse button on a link causes the page to open in a separate tab in Safari.

Mapping the same action (click button 3) to the "Radial Menu" button works the same.

We see no difference in behaviour between Safari and Microsoft Edge when using the emulated "click button 3" action: both browsers open the page in a new tab.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:26 am And in Safari?
In Safari, Finder and other apps Middle Button works as expected.
I'm experiencing this in Edge only, configuring buttons or Radial Menus. Very strange.