macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:54 pm Since years (probably since mission control was called exposé) the default shortcut for triggering it was F9, so I left or reassigned this F9 shortcut in System Preferences/Mission Control, where others shortcut can be assigned too.

Then I mapped a virtual 3Dx button to F9 - Mission Control, and it worked until beta 20.
We think we have your scenario now. Here's how it goes:
  1. Go to System Preferences > Mission Control and assign the "F9" key to the "Mission Control" pull-down menu.
  2. Still in System Preferences, go to Keyboard and enable "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys".
  3. Using an Apply keyboard, confirm Mission Control is opened and closed using the "F9" key.
  4. Using the "beta 19" driver, map "F9" as a "keystroke" to a SpaceMouse button.
  5. Check the mapped button action works as expect (opens and closes Mission Control).
  6. Upgrade to "beta 20" and check the same mapping.
The above works fine for us on an M1 machine running macOS 11.5.1. We're using "Italian" as the input source.

If you can, please check if the backslash emulation in "beta 20" now works as expected (show all tabs).
tiieto

Post by tiieto »

Good Morning...

Just Installed BETA20 (uninstalled Beta 19 before)..

Mac OSX 11.6, MacBook Air, Intel Core i7 1,2 HGz, 8 GB Ram

SpaceMouse Enterprise, Fusion 360

Currently everything just work fine for me..

The Ring LED around the Knob is back, the Lock Button (and his LED) works fine.

Just small issues:

The 4 Buttons around the Lock Button works as aspected (primary function), but the second function (Blue Marked) don't work at all buttons... Only the Right / Left view button (bottom right) and the Rotate Button (up left) works including the second (blue marked) function.
The Top / Bottom Button (up right) and the Front / Back Button (bottom left) only works in primary function, the second - blue marked - function is "death"..

The V1 Button locks the part in place, rotation in any axis is possible
The V2 & V3 Buttons seems to be without any function...

And....
Still no images in the Display for the function Keys.. Only Text... - should be addressed too...

Is there anything else i can test & report?

Kind regards...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

tiieto wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:17 am Is there anything else i can test & report?
Thank you for taking the time to send us a report on "beta 20". This is very much appreciated.

Please keep an eye on anything that is seems to be missing from what you had in macOS 10.15 (or older). We're currently focused on restoring the driver features in macOS 11 as available in macOS 10.15. Once this is in place, we can proceed with improving the SpaceMouse and CadMouse experience on Apple's platform.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 am
  1. Still in System Preferences, go to Keyboard and enable "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys".
Enabling this solved everything, without reinstalling earlier betas etc.
ngomes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:14 am If you can, please check if the backslash emulation in "beta 20" now works as expected (show all tabs).
Sure, it was the first thing I checked yesterday, it works! :wink:
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:12 am
  1. Still in System Preferences, go to Keyboard and enable "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys".
Understood. This was not an issue with "beta 20" but rather a system setting misconfiguration.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:19 am
marcarch wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:12 am
Understood. This was not an issue with "beta 20" but rather a system setting misconfiguration.
Yes, sorry for pointing this as a bug.
Yet I believe you should add these kind of macOS actions (mission control, spaces control, Siri, Launchpad etc.) under System Control Mapping, if possible somehow
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 am I believe you should add these kind of macOS actions (mission control, spaces control, Siri, Launchpad etc.) under System Control Mapping, if possible somehow
This is certainly something we'd like to look into. There's also the "fn" key that Apple seems to use as a modifier.

Currently -- and as mentioned in a reply to @tiieto above, we're looking to restore functionality on macOS 11, be it on Intel or ARM64. It has been a difficult and protracted process.
alexandre.Glt

Post by alexandre.Glt »

ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am
alexandre.Glt wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 am In archicad, the problem is still there.
when you open a new instance, the spacemouse navigation stops moving in the prior instance.
it works only with the last opened instance.
it should work with any instance as it used to be.
Do you recall when it used to work with any instance?
yes, when we were on Mojave mac os 10.14. and your driver 10.6.7.

By the way, we have other computers in the office with this setup and we don't have any problem. we can use space mouse in any instance.
Someguy

Post by Someguy »

ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:29 am
Someguy wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:35 am I understand that the goal of the current development is not to create an ARM native driver
What makes you think so?

Our driver for macOS 11 available as a "universal" application. It includes native binaries for the Intel and ARM64 architectures. In other words, the driver is native to processors from Apple and Intel.
Oh, ok ! That is great news, thanks for your quick reply.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

alexandre.Glt wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:55 am
ngomes wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am
alexandre.Glt wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 am In archicad, the problem is still there.
when you open a new instance, the spacemouse navigation stops moving in the prior instance.
it works only with the last opened instance.
it should work with any instance as it used to be.
Do you recall when it used to work with any instance?
yes, when we were on Mojave mac os 10.14. and your driver 10.6.7.

By the way, we have other computers in the office with this setup and we don't have any problem. we can use space mouse in any instance.
Thank you, alexandre.Glt.

It appears that we have a regression compared to the driver for macOS 10.15 and older. We're tracking this issue with reference MAC-320.
bollella@icloud.com

Post by bollella@icloud.com »

Congrats on getting beta 20 out. Navigating with my Space Mouse Enterprise in the viewports of Cinema 4d, Maya, Housini, and ZBrush seems to be smoother than 19 when the scene is very simple (e.g., just a cube). As the scene gets a bit more complicated movement becomes jerky to varying degrees across the tools.

The issue where the SPE simply randomly stops working requiring the restart of the application persists in ZBrush and Houdini.

Maya viewport quickly becomes unstable when using the SPE to navigate a complex scene. The scene can move trillions of cms away from the camera with just a very slight touch on the SPE. At this point the viewport is stuck and I have to create another one.

The jerkiness is most pronounced in c4d with a slightly more complex scene.

Note that in all cases the viewports of all the apps work smoothly and correctly with the traditional navigation commands for each app.

Mac Pro 16-core Xeon W, MacOS 11.7, all apps are at current versions.

Thanks,
Greg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Thank you for your report, bollella@icloud.com.
bollella@icloud.com wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am As the scene gets a bit more complicated movement becomes jerky to varying degrees across the tools.
Is this a new issue, introduced in "beta 20"? Or perhaps since the very first beta of driver 10.7.0?
bollella@icloud.com wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am Maya viewport quickly becomes unstable when using the SPE to navigate a complex scene. The scene can move trillions of cms away from the camera with just a very slight touch on the SPE. At this point the viewport is stuck and I have to create another one.
We are aware of instabilities with our Maya solution. This has proven to be a tough problem to fix but we're not done yet.
bollella@icloud.com

Post by bollella@icloud.com »

ngomes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:56 am Is this a new issue, introduced in "beta 20"? Or perhaps since the very first beta of driver 10.7.0?
It's been around since I have been using the SPE with MacOS 11. I had very little time with MacOS 10 and SPE but my recollection is that this issue didn't exist.
ngomes wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:56 am We are aware of instabilities with our Maya solution. This has proven to be a tough problem to fix but we're not done yet.
Ok, Great... BTW, I have moved mostly over to c4d for most of my work as Maya' seems unstable on MacOS in many cases other than SPE and Autodesk support for MacOS seems to be dwindling.

Greg
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I installed the new Beta Driver on my M1 Mini and rebooted.

Feels like I accepted 5+ approvals for Settings : Privacy while installing.
Nevertheless I quickly had to realize that my CMD+ä and CMD+ö (forward + backward)
on my CADMouse Side Buttons don't work anymore.

Today, after starting macOS, I looked closer and realize that the 3DC Drivers is no more
able to automatically switch between the "active" Apps at all.

But I am on macOS 12.0.1 Monterey .....

Well I will try to install again.
But if someone has similar experience .....
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:30 am Feels like I accepted 5+ approvals for Settings : Privacy while installing.
This is far from ideal, we're only too aware. We have been trying to reduce the prompts but some are still shown even when running the installer as root. We believe the prompts are by design.
Nevertheless I quickly had to realize that my CMD+ä and CMD+ö (forward + backward)
on my CADMouse Side Buttons don't work anymore.
Does any keystroke emulation work at all? You probably have a German input source and this is very much a scenario we looked at.