macOS Big Sur and Monterey - Pre-release Driver Available

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: macOS Big Sur - Beta Driver Available

Post by ngomes »

BerndB wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:53 am The CadMouse Pro Wireless works fine. It has Firmware version 1.06. The second Mouse is a CadMouse Compact Wireless with Firmware Version 1.10. Using this Mouse I have massive problems with the scroll wheel.
Looks like a hardware issue, not a new driver/macOS 11 as discussed in this topic. Do you have another system you can try the CadMouse Compact Wireless?

You may want to reach to Technical Support contact (contacts [url="http://www.3dconnexion.com/support"]here[/url).
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:57 am It's still on the to-do list but it will take us a while before we can get to it.

Restoring the user-experience in macOS 11 as we have in macOS 10.15 and older is the current priority. Added features (such as MAC-281) have lower priority.
I understand, but, you’re working on restoring UX since months now, and you can’t achieve the goal yet, much probably due to macOS limitations.
Why don’t you add a feature (MAC-281) that's already on the Win software? I mean, while we all wait for a full UX resolution - macOS APIs or Dext.
I suppose MAC-281 shouldn’t be so hard to add...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

marcarch wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:26 am Why don’t you add a feature (MAC-281) that's already on the Win software?
It's a matter of priorities, obviously enough. We, in Engineering, don't get to pick the features that make into our software. There's a separate team to manage our software and hardware products.

Some feature requests never make it to delivered software. So, if customers are interested in a particular feature, they can get in touch with our Technical Support colleagues or post here your requests. The more requests we have, the higher the priority it will be assigned.

That and the fact that "cross-platform" software is a myth. Every line of code has a cost per target platform.
marcarch

Post by marcarch »

ngomes wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 am Every line of code has a cost per target platform.
I hope you agree that using a core feature (3Dx menu) in two different ways, between two OS, is not so nice.
What seems a little feature, in reality is 1 more click to perform an action. Changes by a lot the UX between Win and macOS.

That said, I hope other users are going to read here and support MAC-281 feature request :D
jonatron

Post by jonatron »

After upgrading to Big Sur, I am unable to pair neither my Spacemouse Wireless nor my Spacemouse Pro Wireless. I've installed the Beta drivers. I go through the pairing process and get "pairing failed" every time. My devices are fully charged.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

jonatron wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:03 am I go through the pairing process and get "pairing failed" every time.
We have seen cases where the system appears to be blocking access to the dongle.

Some customers have reported been able to pair after rebooting twice. Not once but twice.

Our best guess at the moment is that Gatekeeper may be unable to momentarily reach Apple to confirm the signatures (notarisation) and blocks the software. The reboots may allow the system to re-run the checks successfully. Again, this is only an educated guess at this point.
timpritlove

Post by timpritlove »

ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 am
warby wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm Update: Google is now investigating the Big Sur / Google Earth / SpaceNavigator problem!
3Dconnexion had early access to a pre-release of the next version of Google Earth Pro for macOS and we can confirm the issue has been addressed. Customers can expect the next version of Google Earth Pro to include the modification to restore 3D mouse support. The change can be confirmed in the application release notes. Google does not yet have a projection for the next release date.
Great news, thanks for sharing. Do you know if this is going to be a M1 native code release?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

timpritlove wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:26 am Do you know if this is going to be a M1 native code release?
We don't have that information. What we tested was an Intel build.
couly

Post by couly »

ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 am
warby wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm Update: Google is now investigating the Big Sur / Google Earth / SpaceNavigator problem!
3Dconnexion had early access to a pre-release of the next version of Google Earth Pro for macOS and we can confirm the issue has been addressed. Customers can expect the next version of Google Earth Pro to include the modification to restore 3D mouse support. The change can be confirmed in the application release notes. Google does not yet have a projection for the next release date.
Thank you for the update!
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

I Up dated my iMac Pro to Big Sur 11.3.After several hours and I can report my 3D space mouse is working fine. I have noticed anything that is in conflict. So the good news is the latest driver Version 10.7.0 r3318 is working with Vectorworks 2021 (v26.0.3) and the 3Dconnexion trainer and OS 11.3.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

rjtiedeman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm I Up dated my iMac Pro to Big Sur 11.3.After several hours and I can report my 3D space mouse is working fine. I have NOT noticed anything that is in conflict. So the good news is the latest driver Version 10.7.0 r3318 is working with Vectorworks 2021 (v26.0.3) and the 3Dconnexion trainer and OS 11.3.
Note: I have only had 11.3 running for a day so upgrade at you own risk. We shall see.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

rjtiedeman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:34 pm I Up dated my iMac Pro to Big Sur 11.3.After several hours and I can report my 3D space mouse is working fine.
Thank you. We very much appreciate you taking the time to report back here. This is important information, especially considering the size of of the 11.3 update.
Tem

Post by Tem »

I am using the current 3DXWARE Beta with Big Sur (11.3) on a 2013 MacPro. It seems that my USB connected CAD Mouse and Space Navigator are functioning nominally. I was able to upgrade the firmware on both devices to 1.6 (?) on my Windows 10 Workstation. Thank you to the developers for your ongoing efforts to support these very helpful tools that I use daily even as the OS vendors cause upheaval and chaos for their users.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Tem wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm I was able to upgrade the firmware on both devices to 1.6 (?) on my Windows 10 Workstation.
As of writing this, the most recent firmware version for the original CadMouse device is version "1.06" and v. "1.11" for the CadMouse Wireless.

We also have a native firmware update tool for macOS 10.15 and 11. The dmg packages can be downloaded from the FAQ articles linked from the original post in this thread.
daokuniel

Post by daokuniel »

Do you have some estimate on how long are we still going with beta?
M1 macs cannot be downgraded to Catalina and it's kinda a huge bugger to have 700eur worth of hardware in beta. Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm Tem had, but it's how long since we knew this was coming?
I guess i have to dig deeper into this thread to find out what makes 3Dconnexion so special compared to my wacom or other input devices that work just fine.