SpaceMouse pro in Big Sur does not work at all, or has extreme delay / input lag - Macbook pro

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mudden_swe

SpaceMouse pro in Big Sur does not work at all, or has extreme delay / input lag - Macbook pro

Post by mudden_swe »

Hi.

Was using my wired Spacemouse Pro perfectly fine on MacOS Catalina on my Macbook Pro. I use it mostly in Autodesk Fusion 360.

Yesterday I decided to update MacOS from Catalina to Big Sur, as is recommended to do to keep the operating system up to date, but now the SpaceMouse Pro has stopped working. :(

I uninstalled the old driver, installed the suggested beta driver for Big Sur but it just does not work properly. There is a very long input lag when pushing any of the buttons or tilting the joystick.
If I press a button, for instance "1" to open the virtual numpad, the best case is that it takes 10-20 seconds to open the virtual numpad, the worst case it does not open the virtual numpad at all.

I have the "3Dconnextion Home software" window in front of me and click on Viewer to bring up the model of the jet-engine, but it either does not move at all, or it takes a very long time of holding the joystick in one direction to get it moving.
Once it has started moving, and having the window in focus, the joystick movement works smoothly.

If I try Fusion 360, I focus the Fusion 360 window and have to wait 10 seconds before any movement starts.
If i unfocus the window (click something else) and then focus the window again, i have to wait for 10 seconds once more before I can rotate the 3D-model.

Any recommendations of what to do? It worked perfectly fine in Catalina so there is no hardware issue.
Thank you! :)

Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.16.05.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 15.16.05.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 22466 times
luping

Re: SpaceMouse pro in Big Sur does not work at all, or has extreme delay / input lag - Macbook pro

Post by luping »

Downgrade the MacOS to Catalina.
Always bear in mind that for professionals to use MBP in production environment(employed or self-employed to make a living on Apple Mac devices), major operating system upgrade is a big concern if you don't check out all the compatibility issues at first. You can still get your job/work done on Fusion 360 without upgrading the MacOS.
mudden_swe

Re: SpaceMouse pro in Big Sur does not work at all, or has extreme delay / input lag - Macbook pro

Post by mudden_swe »

Thank you Luping for your suggestion but downgrading to Catalina is unfortunately not an option. The computer is used for many things, Fusion 360 just being one of them. I want the latest updates to the operating system on my computer.
I know that sometimes there are some issues on upgrading the operating system, going from Mojave to Catalina being a big step (32 bit to 64 bit) which I waited for a long time before I proceeded, but I did not expect the SpaceMouse Pro to stop function on Big Sur.

Anyhow, I have tried to uninstall the beta-driver, and installing it again. But with no success on getting the SpaceMouse Pro to function on Big Sur.
There is still an extreme input lag / delay when using any of the controls on the SpaceMouse before something happens on-screen.

Also the Jet-engine demo as shown in the picture moves in steps / moves choppy. The SpaceMouse is unusable in this state, I have rebooted several times, tried another USB port, tried another USB-A-C adapter, tried it in Google Earth and Fusion 360 and the Puzzle Demo but nothing works as it did before. The input lag is still several seconds.

One test that I can do is focus the "3Dconnexion Home" window and pressing the ESC key on the SpaceMouse Pro. It takes several seconds for the computer to process the key pressed before a "plopp" sound plays from the speakers of the computer.
If I focus the "3Dconnexion Home" window and press the ESC-key on my keyboard, the "plopp" sound plays immediately, but on the SpaceMouse Pro it takes maybe 5-10 seconds.

I have a question, Is the "Uninstall 3Dconnexion Driver" (highlighted in attached screenshot) completely removing the installation of the SpaceMouse? Or should I manually remove any files and/or folders?
Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 15.25.39.png
Screenshot 2020-11-20 at 15.25.39.png (45.48 KiB) Viewed 22427 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi mudden_swe,
mudden_swe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 am There is still an extreme input lag / delay when using any of the controls on the SpaceMouse before something happens on-screen.
We believe we understand what is going on. It's a specific issue to the SpaceMouse Pro and we expected to have it resolved in "beta 8" (due by end of next week).

For you reference, this issue is being tracked with reference MAC-255.
Nuno Gomes
mudden_swe

Post by mudden_swe »

Thank you for your reply ngomes.

I will install the updates of the beta driver as they are available for download and then update this thread with my user-experience.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

mudden_swe wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 am I will install the updates of the beta driver as they are available for download and then update this thread with my user-experience.
Thank you, mudden_swe. We appreciate it.
mudden_swe

Post by mudden_swe »

ngomes wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:22 am Thank you, mudden_swe. We appreciate it.
Today I downloaded and installed the "3DxWareMac_v10-7-0_r3277" beta driver.

First I tried it with the 3Dconnexion Jet Engine demo and puzzle demo with no noticeable input lag.
I also tried the Google Earth Pro which still has input lag, however it's much shorter, about a second.

Finally I can confirm full functionality and good performance with Autodesk Fusion 360 on Macbook Pro 16", MacOS Big Sur and the SpaceMouse Pro. All the buttons for fixed angles, the pan/rotate toggle button and the rotational axes, zoom in/out etc. works smoothly. It doesn't seem to be any noticeable input lag anymore.

Thank you for a quick solution! :mrgreen:
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

mudden_swe wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:46 am I also tried the Google Earth Pro which still has input lag, however it's much shorter, about a second.
The Google Earth issue is unrelated to your SpaceMouse Pro. That's why you still see a problem.

We don't yet know what is the exact cause of the problem that affects Google Earth support and we're working to resolve it.
tdw

Post by tdw »

ngomes wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:20 pm Hi mudden_swe,
mudden_swe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 am There is still an extreme input lag / delay when using any of the controls on the SpaceMouse before something happens on-screen.
We believe we understand what is going on. It's a specific issue to the SpaceMouse Pro and we expected to have it resolved in "beta 8" (due by end of next week).

For you reference, this issue is being tracked with reference MAC-255.
I hope when you say this is specific issue to the SpaceMouse Pro you also mean SpaceMouse Compact as I am having the exact same issue.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi tdw,
tdw wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 am I hope when you say this is specific issue to the SpaceMouse Pro you also mean SpaceMouse Compact as I am having the exact same issue.
MAC-255 is an issue affecting the SpaceMouse Pro only. Please ensure you are using the latest build (refer to this post).

If you still see this "lag" problem when using your SpaceMouse Compact and the latest beta driver (revision "r3277" as of writing this), please let us know in this topic.
tdw

Post by tdw »

ngomes wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:06 am Hi tdw,
tdw wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:57 am I hope when you say this is specific issue to the SpaceMouse Pro you also mean SpaceMouse Compact as I am having the exact same issue.
MAC-255 is an issue affecting the SpaceMouse Pro only. Please ensure you are using the latest build (refer to this post).

If you still see this "lag" problem when using your SpaceMouse Compact and the latest beta driver (revision "r3277" as of writing this), please let us know in this topic.
Yes I should have said I am seeing the problem in Google Earth Pro (lag, not responsive, etc) on my SpaceMouse Compact using the latest beta driver r3277. I have upgraded the beta driver each time you come out with a new version however none of the updates have resolved the problem so far. It sounds exactly the same issue as MAC-255 as reported by mudden_swe but I suppose could be subtly different.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

tdw wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:31 am I am seeing the problem in Google Earth Pro (lag, not responsive, etc) on my SpaceMouse Compact using the latest beta driver r3277.
I think that's a different issue. MAC-255 "followed" the device (SpaceMouse Pro), meaning all applications were equally affected by the "lag" problem.

Also, we're aware of an issue specifically affecting Google Earth and we're looking to see how to resolve it. It appears to be related to the multithreaded nature of the application but we do not yet have made a complete determination. This problem is on top of our list to resolve in par with the reported issues with CadMouse types.
Papepipopu

Post by Papepipopu »

Hi all,

Any news about the lag with Google Earth on Big Sur ?
Thank you,
Matthieu
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Papepipopu,
Papepipopu wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:31 pm Any news about the lag with Google Earth on Big Sur ?
We do not have anything new. The issue is being tracked with reference MAC-264.
mdhassoc

Post by mdhassoc »

Any updates for Google Earth Pro yet ?