driver 10.6.5 not recognising my device

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Akash

driver 10.6.5 not recognising my device

Post by Akash »

Hi all
I have a Space navigator for notebook it was working great on 10.6.1, and I searched for the latest driver. that is listed as 10.6.5 and installed it.
Now my device is not recognised and I'm stuck with lot of work being disturbed.
I tried to reinstall the old driver from Time Machine, but that doesn't work. I think I have to install the older driver clean, but it is not available.
on 3DConnextion archive drivers page.

Please if someone has that installer and is willing to share it...?
Or any idea how to make the 10.6.5 recognise my device?

with best regards and thanks
Akash
ngomes

Re: driver 10.6.5 not recognising my device

Post by ngomes »

Hi Akash,
Akash wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:58 am I have a Space navigator for notebook it was working great on 10.6.1, and I searched for the latest driver. that is listed as 10.6.5 and installed it.
Now my device is not recognised and I'm stuck with lot of work being disturbed.
The latest official release for your SpaceNavigator on macOS 10.15.x and older is v. 10.6.6 of 3DxWare, available here. You may want to give that a try before downgrading to an older driver version.

If the latest driver still poses a problem, get in touch with our Tech Support team (contact details here).
Nuno Gomes
Akash

Post by Akash »

no device found.jpg
no device found.jpg (70.41 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Hi thanks. I'm in contact with support but they haven't given me an idea what to do.
attached is a picture of the device connected and yet not recognised, that is with 10.6.6.
the device behave as if it was some kind of a sluggish mouse, [moving the cursor slowly across the screen.]

All I can tell is that it was working normal [on 10.6.1 ] up to the point of attempting to upgrade the driver.

So if someone has 10.6.1 please, so I can try to get my device back to the point where it was all good.
I have tried 10.6.4 /10.6.5 / 10.6.6

thanks a lot
Akash
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Akash wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:21 pm the device behave as if it was some kind of a sluggish mouse, [moving the cursor slowly across the screen.]
Looks like the kernel extension isn't loading. There is a security feature in macOS that forces users to "allow" kernel extensions within a 30min time frame.

Do you see a warning panel when the driver starts in the "3Dconnexion Home" window? This should be displayed after signing in following a reboot.
Akash

Post by Akash »

Thank you
that makes good sense .

"Do you see a warning panel when the driver starts in the "3Dconnexion Home"

Once
it wanted me to allow In Pref. Security and Privacy. but in there the options to allow the driver was not present.
and that happened only once.

If you can show me, [the instructions] how to fully clean uninstall the 3Dx Ware [not just from the uninstall package]
then hopefully a new install with work...?

* I really don't wan't to go through the long process of reinstalling the whole computer. if there's a way to just clean the driver and start fresh.
thanks a lot for the kind help.

Akash
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Akash wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:01 pm if there's a way to just clean the driver and start fresh.
We have an FAQ here with the detailed instructions on how install in macOS 10.14 system (it should also apply when installing in macOS 10.15 "Catalina").

Please try the following:
  • Uninstall the driver (Applications > 3Dconnexion > uninstall)
  • Reboot when prompted.
  • Install the most recent driver version (10.6.6 as of writing).
  • At the end of the installation, the system should again prompt you to reboot.
  • After rebooting, you will have 30min to "allow" the system extension in the "Security & Privacy" pane in the Systems Preferences.
If the above didn't work, then get back in touch with 3Dconnexion's Technical Support. They should be able to help out.
Akash

Post by Akash »

Hi again
trying to load the kernel extension manually from Terminal. I'm doing something wrong
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 23.56.12.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 23.56.12.png (190.93 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
these instruction are found here: https://osxdaily.com/2015/06/24/load-un ... -mac-os-x/

thanks a lot
Akash
Akash

Post by Akash »

thank you very much
it is working well now, finally .

warm regards and thanks
Akash
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Akash wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:26 pm it is working well now, finally .
Good to know what the issue is sorted.

For the benefit of others that may be similarly affected, do you know what was causing the problem?
Akash

Post by Akash »

Hi
I'm not certain, but I have seen some unexpected behaviours I can report.

1) I was on 10.6.1 for a few years and always when I checked for updates in the pref. panel, it returned that it is the latest version... which seemed strange. so eventually I went to the website to check and from what I could figure out initially 10.6.5 was there for my device.

2) then when I installed 10.6.5 I think I remember there was a massage that it is also installing a newer FirmWare... so maybe there was an issue with the permission resulting from that...? from 10.6.5 check for update in pref. worked and I was directed to 10.6.6 [but with out resolving the issue]

3) I then thought that is I can get back to 10.6.1 the issue will be fixed.... but being unable to find it [from a safe location] I was able to get 10.6.4
but that didn't help. nor was 10.6.6

4) at some point and only once [not sure when because I reinstall the drivers multiple times] I got a massage to allow in security and privacy, but the driver was never showing listed in there. so I could not allow it.

5) I then tried to approach the issue from Terminal, but got stuck with syntax errors and unrecognised commands. [I don't really know how to do task from Terminal, just tried to follow online instructions.]

6)then I just tried one last time with 10.6.6, and it worked. the driver allowing massage finally appeared.

So no clear conclusion here. I'm very happy it worked out. and now that Zbrush finally joined in! It's great .
thanks a lot and best regards.

Akash
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Thank you, Akash.

The installation experience is quite poor, in our opinion, and prone to errors. We will try to work around the issue as we can.