Can't allow driver on big sur

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cschmitz

Can't allow driver on big sur

Post by cschmitz »

I'm trying to install the driver for my space mouse on big sur. I run the package installer, follow the prompts, and at the end I'm asked to restart.

Once my computer is back up the Home software launches and tells me that the software isn't allowed to load.

But when I open my system preferences the "allow" button never shows.

I know the message says the button disappears after 30 seconds, but I definitely got to it before 30 seconds was up.

I've tried uninstalling (via the application uninstaller) and re-installing the software, but the button never shows.

Any idea of what's going on?

I'm on Mac OS 11.0.1 and I'm using the latest driver download from the 3dconnexion website.
UtaSH

Re: Can't allow driver on big sur

Post by UtaSH »

Hi cschmitz,

for Big Sur you need our beta driver.
Flying Fred

Post by Flying Fred »

I have exactly the same. I've downloaded the latest beta driver, installed it, restarted but the software isn't allowed to load. When I go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy> the 'allow' prompt doesn't appear nor does '3D Connexion'

Any ideas?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Flying Fred,
Flying Fred wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:25 am I have exactly the same. I've downloaded the latest beta driver, installed it, restarted but the software isn't allowed to load. When I go to System Preferences>Security & Privacy> the 'allow' prompt doesn't appear nor does '3D Connexion'
The new beta driver for macOS 11 does not include a kernel extension. As such, there no need to "allow" any driver in the "Security & Privacy" pane in the System Preferences app.

Driver version 10.6.x (and older) will not work on macOS 11. Only driver v. 10.7.0 (currently in beta) and newer will support macOS 11.
Nuno Gomes
venturax

Post by venturax »

Hi, can anyone please put here a link with the Beta driver for MacOS 11.6 (Big Sur)? The link showed here in discussions isn't working. Did it have 3Dconnexion removed the driver?
I'm using my Space Navigator mouse since 2009 in all kinds of Apple's MacOS. But now, I needed to change my SSD for a bigger one, and the IT upgraded the OS to 11.6 Big Sur, and the mouse doesn't work anymore. If someone can help me, I really appreciate it (sorry for my english). Thanks!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

venturax wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:31 pm Hi, can anyone please put here a link with the Beta driver for MacOS 11.6 (Big Sur)? The link showed here in discussions isn't working. Did it have 3Dconnexion removed the driver?
The 10.7.0 driver is already out as the official software for macOS 10.15 and newer (that includes macOS 11 and 12 as of today). The beta programme reached its conclusion a few weeks ago.

The software can be downloaded from here.
phaino5316

Post by phaino5316 »

Hello,

I'm having the same issue on Catalina 10.15.7 build 19H1606.

Updated driver to 10.7.0 and the "Allow" button never shows up. I've unistalled, rebooted, and reinstalled three times.

Adding the 3DConnexionHelper.app manually to "Accessibility" does not help either.

This has basically made navigating in Blender and other 3D programs useless with the CadMouse Wireless Pro.

Can you provide a link to the previous driver for Catalina?

Thanks,
Jon
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

phaino5316 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:59 am Updated driver to 10.7.0 and the "Allow" button never shows up. I've unistalled, rebooted, and reinstalled three times.
There may something blocking the driver from loading the system extension (the system will only show the "allow" button after a load attempt is requested).

Please try the following procedure: open Terminal and run the following two commands.

First, terminate the running instance of "3DconnexionHelper" (the driver agent):

Code: Select all

sudo killall 3DconnexionHelper
Then, start the driver executable with the "-install" option:

Code: Select all

/Applications/3Dconnexion/3DconnexionHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/3DconnexionHelper -install
Let us know what is the output of the second command.

To relaunch the "3DconnexionHelper" program, simply reboot the system.
Can you provide a link to the previous driver for Catalina?
Older drivers are available in the software archive.
phaino5316

Post by phaino5316 »

Thanks for the help .. here are the results from both commands

] sudo killall 3DconnexionHelper
Password:

] /Applications/3Dconnexion/3DconnexionHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/3DconnexionHelper -install
2022-01-31 14:36:36.148 3DconnexionHelper[10385:94522] -[TDxDEXTManager activateDEXT:] ACTIVATION request for com.3dconnexion.dext
2022-01-31 14:36:36.189 3DconnexionHelper[10385:94522] -[TDxDEXTManager requestNeedsUserApproval:], SystemExtension needsUserApproval <OSSystemExtensionActivationRequest: 0x7f9a61f0bea0>

Looks like a request is being made someplace.

Should I Uninstall the new version and reinstall the older one? Or run that command as part of the install and if so when?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

phaino5316 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:40 pm 2022-01-31 14:36:36.148 3DconnexionHelper[10385:94522] -[TDxDEXTManager activateDEXT:] ACTIVATION request for com.3dconnexion.dext
2022-01-31 14:36:36.189 3DconnexionHelper[10385:94522] -[TDxDEXTManager requestNeedsUserApproval:], SystemExtension needsUserApproval <OSSystemExtensionActivationRequest: 0x7f9a61f0bea0>
After running the above command, did you check once again if the "Allow" showed up in the "Security & Privacy" panel in System Preferences? The messages indicate that the request is pending and user must take action.

On some operating system version, the "Allow" button will only show for 30 min. If you let that time lapse, you will need to uninstall the driver, reboot, re-install, reboot and again run the commands as above to ensure the system extension has a pending activation request. Then you need to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and see if you can now find the "Allow" button.

We suspect the driver agent (the "3DconnexionHelper" program) is not starting automatically after a reboot on your system. You should find this program listed in "Activity Monitor" as running. If you don't see it, then we need to determine what's blocking the auto start.
phaino5316

Post by phaino5316 »

Something worked. I never saw the "allow" button but I did add the helper manually.
I'm running the latest driver and have full control in Blender.

All is well that ends well, thanks for the support.
phaino5316

Post by phaino5316 »

My previous post, still unpublished, stated all was working and I had no idea why.

Afterwards, I realized I had the 3DConnexion Home app still open, waiting for approval. When I closed that, it stopped working.

I'm going to Uninstall, use the earlier version, Install, and then see what happens.
venturax

Post by venturax »

ngomes wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:04 am
venturax wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:31 pm Hi, can anyone please put here a link with the Beta driver for MacOS 11.6 (Big Sur)? The link showed here in discussions isn't working. Did it have 3Dconnexion removed the driver?
The 10.7.0 driver is already out as the official software for macOS 10.15 and newer (that includes macOS 11 and 12 as of today). The beta programme reached its conclusion a few weeks ago.

The software can be downloaded from here.
The driver 10.7.0, simply doesn't work on MacOS Big Sur (11.6). It installs, but when I restart, 3DConnexion Home application says that I have to push the "allow" button, in the Security preferences, but the button doesn't exist... Older drivers doesn't work too. I'm thinking I'm lost my mouse. Tks,
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

venturax wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:24 pm The driver 10.7.0, simply doesn't work on MacOS Big Sur (11.6).
The 10.7.0 driver is supported on macOS 10.15, 11 and 12, on the Intel and ARM64 architectures (M1 chip).
Older drivers doesn't work too.
You have an issue that apparently is blocking the activation of the system extension. If so, no driver will work on your system.

Try following the instructions above on how to start the "3DconnexionHelper" from Terminal. That may provide additional information on what is going on your system.
venturax

Post by venturax »

I did al the steps above in Terminal, and the message is: "(OSSystemExtensionErrorDomain error 10.)" "OSSystemExtensionErrorForbiddenBySystemPolicy (10)". I don't know whats happening here… Do you have any suggestion, please?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 11.45.09.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 11.45.09.png (50.87 KiB) Viewed 18591 times