SpaceNavigator Crashing Maya in BigSur

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

AbradolfLinkler

SpaceNavigator Crashing Maya in BigSur

Post by AbradolfLinkler »

Hello,

I have a SpaceNavigator USB version running on Big Sur 11.0.1 with the latest 3DConnexion Driver 3dxMacCore version 1.2.0 (91) 3DxWare version 10.7.0 (3288).

I am trying to use it in Maya 2020.3

It only works for a minute or two - then Maya crashes abruptly - literally each time I use it.

This is strictly related to SpaceNavigator - when I unplug it from USB, Maya works flawlessly.

SIP deactivated and I think all permissions are on for SpaceNavigator in the System Preferences.

Are there any solutions to this?

Kind Regards
jesse.art

Re: SpaceNavigator Crashing Maya in BigSur

Post by jesse.art »

I'm having a similar issue with my SpaceMouse Pro Wireless on Big Sur as well. Except it doesn't seem to be related to time but at any point when using Maya it will crash when otherwise without using the SM it runs fine.

Mac Pro 2019
macOS 11.1
Maya 2019.2
3DxWare 10.7.0
RVeldhuyzen

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

Same here.
As I have been documenting in the Big Sur thread here, I have been experiencing viewport glitching since driver version 10.6.4. When moving the viewport with a SpaceNavigator or SpaceMouse Pro (and I assume all other iterations) when letting go of the knob (letting all axis get back to 0) the camera angle changes for a split second. It's like the camera jumps to another location in the scene and immediately jumps back to where it is supposed to be again.

And Maya will crash a LOT during use. There doesn't seem to be a time limit or trigger to it. For me the crashing usually happens when I'm doing a lot at the same time, like moving the camera and pressing buttons/clicking in quick succession, etc. If I slow down my workflow the crashes happen very far between. If I work quickly it will crash within minutes every time.
Now, I'm not working at a turtles speed here, just being mindful not to click and move the camera at the same time too much.
It's time to roll the dice...
luping

Post by luping »

To all, try update the firmware of SpaceNavigator using this tool in a Windows PC:
https://www.3dconnexion.com/technical_s ... r17928.exe
luping

Post by luping »

By the way, I'm also an end user like you.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

FYI: We're tracking this issues (Maya crashes when using driver 10.6.4 or newer) as MAC-275.

From the customer reports (we can't reproduce this yet), the instability appears to have followed driver release v. 10.6.4 rather than the upgraded to macOS 11.
Nuno Gomes
AbradolfLinkler

Is 3D Connexion actually doing something with the faulty drivers and software malfunction or they literally ********** and advertise their product to work with "almost everything" whereas the truth is that it works with "almost nothing".?

Moderator edit (Jan 19, 2021): removed foul language (see BOARD RULES under "Be respectful").
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexon has released "beta 12" (revision r3291) of the new driver for macOS. The "beta" builds can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available here.

The plugin for Maya was updated to improve both stability and the "flickering" issue reported elsewhere in this Forum.
AbradolfLinkler

ngomes wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:20 pm 3Dconnexon has released "beta 12" (revision r3291) of the new driver for macOS. The "beta" builds can be downloaded from the FAQ page linked here. A change history summary is available here.

The plugin for Maya was updated to improve both stability and the "flickering" issue reported elsewhere in this Forum.
This update is USELESS - Maya is still crashing the same as before. WE'RE LOSING WORK! The only way not to lose work is to detach the 3D CONNEXXION PRODUCT FROM THE COMPUTER!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexon has released "beta 14" (revision r3295) of the new driver for macOS. Please refer to this topic.

The plugin for Maya was again updated in an attempt to improve stability and minimize the "flickering" issue.