CadMouse Wireless - Not clicking

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

pwhit

CadMouse Wireless - Not clicking

Post by pwhit »

Hello
My CadMouse wireless has stopped clicking. The cursor still moves around but I cannot click anything.
I have MacOS Big Sur and believe all of the drivers(?) are up to date.
My mouse connects through the bluetooth or the USB connector.
zoomer

Re: CadMouse Wireless - Not clicking

Post by zoomer »

For Big Sur,
you will need the latest Beta Driver and a Firmware Update for your device.
(currently via Windows only)

You can find more info in one of the various Big Sur threads here.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

The beta driver FAQ page is here. It includes a link to a separate page where the firmware upgrade process is detailed. The firmware update applies only to the original CadMouse (a wired device) and the CadMouse Wireless.
Nuno Gomes
pwhit

Post by pwhit »

Thanks all, I have downloaded the beta driver and it still isn't working. Wasn't sure if there was another troubleshoot process I could try. Appreciate the help!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

pwhit wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 am I have downloaded the beta driver and it still isn't working.
You will need to also update the CadMouse Wireless (CMW) firmware to v. 1.11. Please refer to the FAQ page linked in my post above.

The CMW buttons won't work on macOS 11 if using an older version of the firmware.
hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Hi

It has been at least a year that my computer feels "strange" and today I realised it might be related to the mouse.
The behaviour feels random and it can manifest itself at least in a couple of ways:
- single clicks recognised as double click or as click-hold (at least in Finder, Numbers, Chrome, Safari... every app actually)
- release of the click not recognised until the mouse is moved. I could just caught in camera: https://photos.app.goo.gl/12Neas1Pyd7ccPZK8
- may or may not be related: cmd-c or cmd-v often not recognised if not repeated a couple of times
I use 2 different CadMouse Wireless (2 locations), and it happens with both. MacOS Catalina since a year.
I have the driver version 10.6.7 (but this happens at least since 10.6.5). Mouse firmware is 1.01, I don't think I have ever updated since purchase.

I thought my MBP was getting too old, but this I until today, that I could reproduce the issue seen on video.
So could this be related to the mouse driver?

And the reason I'm posting here:
Do you suggest I update the firmware to 1.11 or is this only meaningful in conjunction with the Big Sur driver?
I wouldn't want to install the beta if has too much known issues, mine IS a production environment.

Thanks
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

hoolito wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm
may or may not be related: cmd-c or cmd-v often not recognised if not repeated a couple of times

Do you suggest I update the firmware to 1.11 or is this only meaningful in conjunction with the Big Sur driver?
I wouldn't want to install the beta if has too much known issues, mine IS a production environment.

Thanks

I noticed that too lately.
Since latest Beta driver and or Big Sur 11.1 update (?)

Looks like a complete loss of CMD+C and CMD+V
but in Safari only !
(Seems to work anywhere else)

And CMD+N in Safari only working if you press CMD for a few seconds before adding N.

Also the old Mac Alu USB keyboard feels somehow slow in general and missing key input
from time to time. But this may have already started with Mojave but it is just more
pronounced now.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi hoolito,
hoolito wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm - single clicks recognised as double click or as click-hold (at least in Finder, Numbers, Chrome, Safari... every app actually)
This points to a hardware issue. I suggest you get in touch with our tech support team (contacts here).
hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Thanks. I will contact them.
But please note that this happens on 2 different products of different ages, (bought jan-2018 and mar-2019)
I forgot to say I use bluetooth to connect

@zoomer: my cmd-c/cmd-v fails are system-wide, for sure.
pwhit

Post by pwhit »

ngomes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:48 pm
pwhit wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 am I have downloaded the beta driver and it still isn't working.
You will need to also update the CadMouse Wireless (CMW) firmware to v. 1.11. Please refer to the FAQ page linked in my post above.

The CMW buttons won't work on macOS 11 if using an older version of the firmware.
I cannot seem to figure it out unfortunately - it looks like you need Windows to download the update so I'm unable to do this as I have macOS
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

pwhit wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:09 am I cannot seem to figure it out unfortunately - it looks like you need Windows to download the update so I'm unable to do this as I have macOS
Have a word with our tech support team (contacts here). They will assist you in sorting this out.
PFWS

Post by PFWS »

It's 2021 and my cadmouse wireless is still bricked for lack of a mac firmware updater!
hoolito

Post by hoolito »

ngomes wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:57 am Hi hoolito,
hoolito wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:38 pm - single clicks recognised as double click or as click-hold (at least in Finder, Numbers, Chrome, Safari... every app actually)
This points to a hardware issue. I suggest you get in touch with our tech support team (contacts here).

Hi ngomes,

Having been in contact with Support for a while, this might be either actually. Yesterday I finally found a way to reproduce the issue so I guess I'll post here and maybe you or someone else is helped too.

You need to try the next tests with this website: https://www.onlinemictest.com/mouse-test/
  • If I press the left or right CadMouse button, and while still depressed, displace it (even a couple of mm), the button release does not get registered. Up until the next displacement. Just push the mouse gently.
    • I can reproduce this with both my CadMouse (FW 1.10) in these conditions (even after fresh OS restart):
      • Safari in macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (connected by bluetooth) 3DxMacCore 1.1.6 - 3DxWare 10.6.7
      • Chrome in macOS CAtalina 10.15.7 (connected by bluetooth) 3DxMacCore 1.1.6 - 3DxWare 10.6.7
      • On a PC in Chrome in Windows 10 (connected by bluetooth) 3DxWinCore 10.7.1.17950 - 3DxWare 10.7.1.3280
    • I cannot reproduce it
      • With the middle button on any condition with CadMouse
      • On any CadMouse by bluetooth on a PC after removing it an pair it again (this workaround did not work on the mac)
      • When connected via USB by cable
      • With my Microsoft Sculpt Touch (only tested in Safari in macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (connected by bluetooth))
In real work conditions the problem can "be felt" in varying degrees of severity. For example you click on a file and it sticks to the pointer. But sometimes this can happen too: you click once and the files opens (single click as a double-click)
The fact that the middle mouse button works correctly might point to a hardware issue
The fact that with the USB cable it works ok, might point to a software issue
But I'm leaning towards a software issue now... (or a combination?)

I haven't been able to test the dongle connection yet, but anyway I wouldn't use them since the pointer stutters frequently.

Despite having found the way to pinpoint and reproduce this just now, I realize this was the cause of discomfort for a long time now, so I wouldn't circumscribe it to the last 3DxWare version.

Thanks for any thoughts.
If this happens to be a bug I hope for a fast fix!

Best regards
hoolito

Post by hoolito »

Hi all,

Just wanted to let know that above problem seems SOLVED after upgrading the CadMouse to FW 1.11 (even though I'm not in macOS Big Sur)
bretcobrageek

Post by bretcobrageek »

@hoollto Thanks for creating such a detailed description of the problem. I have experienced exactly the same problem for months and had to resort to using the dongle to get around this problem. I emailed with support many times about the issue and had it narrowed down to pretty much the same thing, but never was able to describe it so succinctly.

I was tempted to try the updated firmware beta that was intended for Big Sur but was afraid it wouldn't work at all in Catalina and there's no going back. I could update to Big Sur (but would rather not at this point), but then it looked like the dongle mode is not supported there so was really hesitant.

Thanks for taking the leap of faith and reporting back. I'll try the updated FW 1.11 on the mouse this weekend and respond if it works for me. I'd hate to have to ditch the mouse so I'm really hopeful it will work. Thanks!