SMPW rapidly pressing keyboard button

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jesse.art

SMPW rapidly pressing keyboard button

Post by jesse.art »

Every once in a while when I'm using my SMPW I will begin hearing a rapid clicking sound on my Mac as if a keyboard button is being held down. I always simply restarted but this is not a long term solution so I began to investigate the cause. When it happened again I began to one by one, unplug connections from my machine but the noise persisted until I removed the SMP wireless dongle. When I remove it, it stops and I can plug it back in to continue working. But at some point it will happen again and I remove it again. I believe it's triggering the option button.

Is this a known issue?

Mac Pro 2019
macOS 10.15.7
SpaceMouse Pro Wireless Second Generation
3DxWare 10.6.7
ngomes

Re: SMPW rapidly pressing keyboard button

Post by ngomes »

Hi jesse.art,
jesse.art wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:15 pm Is this a known issue?
I can't immediately recall this ever happening with driver 10.6.x or older (there's a similar but unrelated issue on driver 10.7.0 but that's macOS 11 -specific).

Connect your SMPW with a cable and use it for a couple of days. This will remove one variable (the receiver dongle) from the picture and may point out where the problem might be.
Nuno Gomes
jesse.art

Post by jesse.art »

Been using the SMPW strictly through usb without the dongle plugged in and I still get similar issues. I have to unplug the cable, turn the SM off and back on then plug the usb back in and it works fine again until the next time. I really hope this gets fixed in a driver update soon.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

jesse.art wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 pm I really hope this gets fixed in a driver update soon.
Are you positive this is a software issue? Perhaps a key is getting stuck in the pressed-down position?
jesse.art

Post by jesse.art »

Yeah. This happens often enough and with the amount of troubleshooting Ive done, I've got it narrowed down to a bug within the SM environment-whether that be a software issue or hardwire I do not know.

It's the same thing every time. UI glitch, unplug SM and turn it off, plug it back in, turn it on, problem goes away for a few hours.

But man outside of that I love using it with ZBrush.