SpaceNavigator/Big Sur/Google Earth not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

nickjhowe

SpaceNavigator/Big Sur/Google Earth not working

Post by nickjhowe »

I'm running the latest beta driver for Big Sur and all the 3Dconnexion tools work fine - I have full response in all axes. But Google Earth Pro installed on iMac (2017 27" Retina) refuses to play ball. Google Earth responds fine to my mouse, but does virtually nothing with the SpaceNavigator. Worked fine prior to Big Sur. Any ideas?
ngomes

Re: SpaceNavigator/Big Sur/Google Earth not working

Post by ngomes »

nickjhowe wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:45 am Any ideas?
See here.

Copied from the post linked above:
ngomes wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:24 am We don't know if a fix will be available. We see no path forward to resolve this issue.

Google Earth appears to be blocking the main thread (perhaps to draw as fast as possible), shutting down the communication with our driver for macOS 11.

At this point, we believe the application needs to be modified to restore functionality.
couly

Post by couly »

This is an incredibly frustrating response. I bought this product specifically to use Google Earth, and your best response to the mouse not working is "We don't know if we can fix this, sorry"? I couldn't imagine this excuse working on any project I've worked on through my career.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

couly wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:16 pm This is an incredibly frustrating response.
It is the only we can give you at this point.
couly wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:16 pm I couldn't imagine this excuse working on any project I've worked on through my career.
You seem to assume this is all 3Dconnexion's doing. Perhaps you don't but I can tell we wish it was so since it would be only a matter of changing our software or hardware and fix it.

For now and if you wish to use Google Earth with a SpaceMouse, our recommendation -- and we're only too aware how it sounds -- is to downgrade to macOS 10.15.
Papepipopu

Post by Papepipopu »

Hi,
Are you in contact with Google Earth Team ? What is the next step ? Are you still trying to fix the problem or are you waiting for Google to change something in the Google Earth App ?
Please please please, keep trying to do all you can do, with Google collaboration or not !
Thank you,
Matthieu
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Papepipopu wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm Are you in contact with Google Earth Team ?
We're in contact with the Google Earth Pro team, yes. We're collaborating with Google to resolve the limitations.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

As posted here last week.
ngomes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 am 3Dconnexion had early access to a pre-release of the next version of Google Earth Pro for macOS and we can confirm the issue has been addressed. Customers can expect the next version of Google Earth Pro to include the modification to restore 3D mouse support. The change can be confirmed in the application release notes. Google does not yet have a projection for the next release date.
nickjhowe

Post by nickjhowe »

Excellent news! thanks for the cross-post