CadMouse Pro Wireless - "jumpy" cursor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

iHD3

CadMouse Pro Wireless - "jumpy" cursor

Post by iHD3 »

My recently-purchased CadMouse Pro Wireless (FW 1.06) behaves erratically in Big Sur 11.2 and 11.3 (I can't speak to other macOS releases), on an iMac Pro.

When moved along at low or medium speed in any direction, it will randomly jump around more or less in the same direction. This is irrespective of other BT devices being connected or not, mouse speed setting, mousing surface, and of course after ensuring the optical assembly is free of dust.

When wired the CadMouse Pro works normally.
luping

Re: CadMouse Pro Wireless - "jumpy" cursor

Post by luping »

In wireless mode, if you move the mouse in way that the velocity change exceeds the mouse technical specification's acceleration limitation, then you loose the sense of precision. The optical sensor polling rates in different connection modes are not the same: 90Hz (Bluetooth),125Hz (Universal Receiver) and 1.000Hz (cabled).
The CadMouse Pro Wireless uses PMW3330DM optical sensor from Taiwan's PixArt Imaging:
https://www.pixart.com/products-detail/ ... 330DM-TZQU
luping

Post by luping »

Sorry, typo error, it's "lose", not "loose".
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

iHD3 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:59 am My recently-purchased CadMouse Pro Wireless (FW 1.06) behaves erratically in Big Sur 11.2 and 11.3 (I can't speak to other macOS releases), on an iMac Pro.

When moved along at low or medium speed in any direction, it will randomly jump around more or less in the same direction. This is irrespective of other BT devices being connected or not, mouse speed setting, mousing surface, and of course after ensuring the optical assembly is free of dust.

When wired the CadMouse Pro works normally.
Hi iHD3,

did you try if this improves if you disconnect the Bluetooth connection to the CadMouse Pro Wireless and then reconnect?
iHD3

Post by iHD3 »

Thank you @luping. I thought it might have something to do with that - does this amount to a hardware limitation which can't be overcome with updated firmware?

Anyway, even though it's not officially supported, based on your info I've tried the Universal Receiver and that is indeed less laggy/jumpy - but the mouse movement is too fast for my liking and can't be adjusted in 3Dconnexion's interface (and nor do any of the additional buttons work).

All this makes this virtually unusable as a wireless mouse for many applications on an iMac / iMac Pro -- the very sort of applications you'd want to use it for.

If I'd known this I'd have purchased the wired version instead of a clunky USB cable-connected and heavier mouse.

(PS. Thanks for fixing that typo: a rarely-seen act of care. All hope's not lost for the human race :wink: )
iHD3

Post by iHD3 »

Thanks UtaSH - yes I did try that, as well as "resetting" the iMac's Bluetooth and connecting after that. If it made a difference it was too slight or short-lived to notice.
DavidV

Post by DavidV »

Hello iHD3,

What other Bluetooth devices do you have connected to your Mac? Do you have anything connected that could be causing interference with the CadMouse Pro Wireless such as an off brand USB Hub from Amazon?

Is it possible to disconnect all other Bluetooth devices from your Mac for a test? I'm just curious to see if anything else is causing interference.
claireh

Post by claireh »

Hi iHD3,

just chiming in as well. First I want to make sure you are running the latest revision number of our beta driver. There have been many performance and stability tweaks with each release. The current revision is 10.7.0 r3295, which was published on Feb 8th this year. This corresponds with the 3DxMacCore version. (should read 1.2.0 b100) If you have an earlier version I recommend first updating the driver before disconnecting bluetooth devices.

You can find the revision number in the "Tools" tab of our properties panel. More info on the beta here

Currently, button mappings that utilize a modifier key (ex. Shift, Ctrl, Tab, Meta, etc) are unstable. While the likelihood of these keys working has increased over previous revisions, this is still very much so an ongoing topic internally. Right now, sometimes a modifier will work, sometimes it won't.

The cursor jumping you mentioned seems a little more in-depth than some sort of wireless interference. Each time the cursor jumps, it moves in roughly the same direction. Can you confirm this? If possible, a video to actually see how the cursor behaves would be helpful.
Claire
iHD3

Post by iHD3 »

Thanks DavidV and claireh.

David, this is unlikely to be BT interference from other devices as I tried with them all off (see my first post). No off-brand devices, no hubs. Have just retested with USB devices detached, no issues.

Claire, yes I'm running the latest (8 Feb '21) beta driver, and the device came with firmware 1.06.

Since you both work for 3Dconnexion, can you suggest an email address to send a screen cap video file to (and a useful subject line)?
iHD3

Post by iHD3 »

All of the above still applies, but since updating to Big Sur 11.4:

- the middle mouse button no longer functions;
- scrolling (of any kind, "smart" or otherwise) no longer works;

This is whether the mouse is attached via the USB cable, wireless dongle, or Bluetooth. And after multiple reboots.

Installing the latest Beta driver made no difference other than it registers itself as version 3333 in the Preference Pane.
iHD3

Post by iHD3 »

Actually the middle mouse does seem to work OK in application designed for its use, so scratch that. But scrolling works nowhere.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

iHD3 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:57 am since updating to Big Sur 11.4:
[...]
- scrolling (of any kind, "smart" or otherwise) no longer works;

This is whether the mouse is attached via the USB cable, wireless dongle, or Bluetooth. And after multiple reboots.
We cannot confirm this. We tested the CadMouse Pro Wireless (CMPW) on a macOS 11.4 system over Bluetooth and scrolling (mouse wheel) works as expected.

One suggestion is to check your CMPW on a separate system to see if the problem follows the device (which may indicate an hardware issue).
iHD3

Post by iHD3 »

I've just now plugged the CMPW into a Mac running Mojave, using the USB cable without installing any special drivers - the system simply sees it as a generic mouse. Scrolling works normally. On Big Sur, no scrolling however it's connected, using the latest driver.
btb123

Post by btb123 »

I recently bought a Cad Mouse Pro Wireless. I could not get it to bind with my Mac's BT so I have been running it wired.

I have the latest drivers installed (10.7.0 Beta) on Big Sur.

I am experiencing a jumpy mouse cursor. It is random and the cursor can jump a few inches. It seems to do this a lot left, and sometime up. I haven't noticed the cursor jumping in other directions. I also noticed the mouse cursor getting big, suggesting the Mac thinks it is being shaken and it is not.

Is this a driver issue? Is there and ETA for a fix?

I have had to switch back to my Corsair mouse for now but I am missing the middle button.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

iHD3 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:58 am I've just now plugged the CMPW into a Mac running Mojave, using the USB cable without installing any special drivers - the system simply sees it as a generic mouse. Scrolling works normally.
This suggest all is well with the hardware.
On Big Sur, no scrolling however it's connected, using the latest driver.
We can't see this. We tried on a M1 running macOS 11.3.1 and 14.1. All seems well.

Check if "Scrolling" is disabled: go to System Preferences > "Accessibility" pane > "Pointer Control" list item > "Mouse & Trackpad" tab > "Mouse Options..." button > "Scrolling" check box (should be ticked).