Help: New SMPro Not working with Zbrush

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

nextr

Re: Help: New SMPro Not working with Zbrush

Post by nextr »

Some progress: After removing that plist, the trainer now works properly.
But the inability to use the buttons "R" and "Rotations On/Off" remains.

Driver version:
3DxMacCore 1.1.6
3DxWare version 10.6.7
Screenshot included

Other suggestions?

Thank you!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.29.02 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.29.02 PM.jpg (44.64 KiB) Viewed 8816 times
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.03.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 12.03.04 PM.jpg (8.53 KiB) Viewed 8816 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:46 pm Some progress: After removing that plist, the trainer now works properly.
But the inability to use the buttons "R" and "Rotations On/Off" remains.
Is this a hardware problem? Or is the inability to use these two buttons specific to ZBrush or some other application?
Driver version:
3DxMacCore 1.1.6
3DxWare version 10.6.7
This is the latest driver for your operating system. Thanks for sharing the information.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Is this a hardware problem? Or is the inability to use these two buttons specific to ZBrush or some other application?
The button issue is across all applications I have tested (Safari, Word, and also "Any Application"). I've also tried unscuccesfully programming those buttons with different types of mapping actions (various keystrokes, mouse actions, system control actions).
I suppose it could be hardware, though it is only those 2 buttons and when they worked, they always worked (never any intermittence).

What is the procedure for a total uninstall? The last uninstall/reinstall loaded back my previous Zbrush config settings. I wasn't able to find that searching. Remove that plist and any other files?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for helping!
nextr

Post by nextr »

Or is there a way to reset the space mouse hardware? Reinstall FW?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:32 am The button issue is across all applications I have tested (Safari, Word, and also "Any Application").
This indicates a hardware fault. It also explains why rotations were disabled in the "trainer" application: the button that disables rotations was one of the two affected by this problem. You probably could have re-enabled rotations in the "trainer" by assigning the corresponding action to a different button.
nextr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:39 am Or is there a way to reset the space mouse hardware? Reinstall FW?
You have a SpaceMouse Pro. This device keeps no state; meaning that disconnecting the device will remove the power supply and restore the device to factory condition.

If the device is under warranty, I suggest getting in touch with our Technical Support team (contact details here). You may want to refer to this Forum topic in your communication with my TS colleagues.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Thank you for all the help. I will contact support and reference this.
Cheers.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:14 am I will contact support and reference this.
Note that they may need to confirm the fault from their end.
nextr

Post by nextr »

ngomes, thanks it was a hardware issue. Just received a replacement unit today and those two buttons work just fine now. Woo Hoo!

After testing with tech support -- factory reset, FW update check and confirmation on a windows machine -- it was deemed a hardware issue.

Spacemouse is really a nice addition to Zbrush. So much more natural and fluid than the Zbrush navigation (alt-click-drag-release zooming and off-model pan/rotate). And using the larger, outermost buttons for Shift (pinkie) and Alt (thumb) makes organic sculpting so much more natural.

THANK YOU!!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:25 pm it was a hardware issue. Just received a replacement unit today and those two buttons work just fine now.
Thank you for following up here. Glad to know you're back in business.

We're pretty excited about ZBrush support and we're hoping others can enjoy the benefits of 3Dconnexion's collaboration with Pixologic.
jwick

Post by jwick »

nextr,

Talk it up in the ZBrush forums!
A lot of ZBrush users would benefit from using the 3D mouse in ZBrush.
They are a great fit.
nextr

Post by nextr »

jwick wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:50 pm Talk it up in the ZBrush forums!
A lot of ZBrush users would benefit from using the 3D mouse in ZBrush.
They are a great fit.
Definitely. Will do. This is a great fit. Much more fluid and easier to concentrate on the sculpt.

Can you share which zbrush commands are used for the Right Side buttons (T, R, F, RollCW and RotationsOnOff)?
I haven't found a consistent way to make any of the ortho view buttons work. At least with the Mac driver, those buttons are not configured.
An easy way to snap back to Front View and Side View would be appreciated.

Thanks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

We don't use ZBrush commands to rearrange the views. We do that ourselves.
Can you give us some details on what you don't like about it? Perhaps we can address it.
nextr

Post by nextr »

jwick wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:07 am We don't use ZBrush commands to rearrange the views. We do that ourselves.
Can you give us some details on what you don't like about it?
It was disappointing that there was no Zbrush configuration in the driver (mac). So NONE of the right side buttons did anything. I had to add zbrush as an application then make macros and assign zbrush hotkeys to all of them. And for the ortho views, it is still very hacky -- creating zbrush views with a macro via a zaplink plugin and saving and loading a .vws file for each new project. Maybe there is a better way, but I haven't found it.

If there is a zbrush config that assigns those keys, that would be a huge improvement.

Thanks!