Help: New SMPro Not working with Zbrush

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

nextr

Help: New SMPro Not working with Zbrush

Post by nextr »

Hi,
I am very excited -- just got a new spacemouse pro for use with Zbrush.
Do I need to download a zbrush config file or something?

Zbrush (2021.6), MacBookPro (Mojave 10.14.16)

Lots of news about Zbrush/Spacemouse integration but I don't see zbrush listed in the dropdown of supported applications. see image.
In the Properties window, I tried: Configure/Add application/ then added Zbrush, but that did did not populate buttons like "fit" with zbrush commands.

I will configure all these buttons manually if needed, but I'm wondering if I missed something during the installation. I saw a SM Enterprise video that made it very easy to configure buttons by application topics. Hoping that the SM Pro has a similar feature.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 2.03.01 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 2.03.01 PM.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 2.13.24 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 2.13.24 PM.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
ngomes

Re: Help: New SMPro Not working with Zbrush

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm Hi,
I will configure all these buttons manually if needed, but I'm wondering if I missed something during the installation.
I don't think you missed anything. We do not yet have a default configuration for ZBrush on macOS but it is likely that we will be adding one.

Client applications do not require a specific driver configuration to work well.
Nuno Gomes
nextr

Post by nextr »

ngomes
Thank you. I was able to remap buttons after creating some new zbrush hotkeys. I'll look forward to seeing how the zbrush integration works and what was adopted as default.

One thing haven't figured out is how to use the top buttons ( 1-4 ) while simultaneously pressing and using the stylus or mouse.
The Pop Up radial menu gets in the way and the function doesn't seem to work.
Any way to work around this? cmd-alt-drag for example.

Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 7.06.49 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 7.06.49 AM.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 am One thing haven't figured out is how to use the top buttons ( 1-4 ) while simultaneously pressing and using the stylus or mouse.
The Pop Up radial menu gets in the way and the function doesn't seem to work.
You want to press-and-hold one of the "programmable" buttons (those labelled "1" to "4").

By default, press-and-holding any of those buttons will open the "on-screen display" panel (as shown on the screen shot above). I can't recall if there is a setting to control this behaviour and I do not have a machine quickly check. Go to the "3Dconnexion" pane in the System Preferences and see if you can find a check box to control the OSD panel.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Go to the "3Dconnexion" pane in the System Preferences and see if you can find a check box to control the OSD panel.
I don't see any OSD controls. There is a "press and hold" and "press and release" Mode option for the buttons, but that doesn't seem to help.

Yeah, those top buttons would be really nice to use.

BTW I am loving the spacemouse with zbrush despite these issues. MUCH more fluid and natural sculpting compared to the stylus/keyboard navigation. wow
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.17.06 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.17.06 AM.jpg (127.23 KiB) Viewed 9155 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:25 am Yeah, those top buttons would be really nice to use.
I just confirmed. On the Mac, we don't have a user interface to disable the opening of the OSD panel on a press-and-hold action of buttons "1" to "4". If you wish to keep a button down, you will need to use another button for the time being.

We don't know if we can make a change to address this. It hasn't been an issue until now, as far as I can recall.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Thanks for verifying this.
As you probably know Zbrush uses lots of combinations that require holding down command, shift, alt, space, while dragging or sculpting.

And just for ergonomics I would like to use two big keys for shift and alt. Those keys are used almost constantly while modeling And having larger ones would be nice and ergonomic.
I hope you can implement disabling the OSD for us Mac users.

Don’t hesitate if you have other questions to support it.
Thank you!
nextr

Post by nextr »

Argh.
Now the "R" and "roll-lock keys stopped" working -- I am unable to configure them.
I uninstalled the driver, reinstalled and ran the demo.

A clue perhaps, in the teapot demo, the Tilt, Roll and Twist do not work.
Another clue maybe, after the uninstall, reinstall, the last custom Zbrush config was loaded. So do I need to do more to completely uninstall?

In that same cluster of keys, the F, T and RollCW buttons configure and work just fine.
I also tried deleting the Zbrush configuration, using defaults, etc. Nothing seems to help.

Frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:17 pm Now the "R" and "roll-lock keys stopped" working -- I am unable to configure them.
We will come to this later.

Firstly, we should check why you're seeing the following:
in the teapot demo, the Tilt, Roll and Twist do not work.
That's not a "demo", it's the "trainer" application. The first panels are dedicated to explaining how translations work. Rotation isn't used until later in the process. How far along the trainer steps did you go?

Alternatively, you may have disabled rotations inadvertently. The trainer will use the config for "Any Application".

Once we have confirmed your SpaceMouse can control the trainer application in all six degrees-of-freedom, we will continue to see what's up with the buttons.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Rotation isn't used until later in the process. How far along the trainer steps did you go?
Yes, I did the full trainer, step by step. Inside the trainer, Spin, Tilt and Roll did not function in their respective tabs, nor when in the "All Active" tab.
As I mentioned, when I am inside Zbrush, spin, tilt and roll continue to work.

Thanks!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:22 am Yes, I did the full trainer, step by step. Inside the trainer, Spin, Tilt and Roll did not function in their respective tabs, nor when in the "All Active" tab.
The plot thickens.

Please confirm if rotations are enabled in the "Any Application" driver configuration (which is the default and used for the "trainer" application). For this, open the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences and select "Any Application" in the "Configure" pull-down menu. Then check the tabs to see if "Rotations" are disabled.
nextr

Post by nextr »

Rotations do not work with "any applications" either.

Also with "any application" configuration, the "R" and "Button Rotations On/Off" do not work.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.26.11 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 7.26.11 AM.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 9064 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

This is definitely unexpected.

Please confirm the exact driver version as shown on the "Tools" tab.

Below is a screenshot with the default mapping for the "Button Rotations On/Off.
rotations_of_off.png
rotations_of_off.png (174.96 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
nextr

Post by nextr »

It's driver version 1.1.2.184
Here's a screenshot that includes the Any Application button mapping.

Thanks!

PS Everything was working fine early yesterday. At some point I used Export Configuration and checked the "Export All Settings." And later imported that config file. Not sure if that coincided with the issue though. Like I mentioned, since it stopped working, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and the Zbrush config was listed without any action on my part.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 8.18.57 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 8.18.57 AM.jpg (172.67 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

nextr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 am It's driver version 1.1.2.184
I don't recognise that version.

You will find the full version details in the "Tools" tab of the "3Dconnexion" pane in System Preferences.
Everything was working fine early yesterday. At some point I used Export Configuration and checked the "Export All Settings." And later imported that config file.
Try the following process to reset the user driver settings.
Note you will lose all your changes to the driver settings.
  1. Close System Preferences, if opened (this is important).
  2. Open Activity Monitor, select "3Dconnexion Helper" and quit the program.
  3. In Finder, go to menu "Go", select "Go to Folder..." and enter "/Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences" (without the double quote characters).
  4. Drag the "com.3dconnexion.mapplings.plist" to Trash or any other location if you wish to back up the file (this is where the user changes are stored).
  5. Go to System Preferences and open the "3Dconnexion" pane (this will relaunch the driver).
  6. Check if the issue is still reproducible.