Battery status light blinks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

cgarch

Battery status light blinks

Post by cgarch »

Device: Space Mouse Pro Wireless
3DxWare Version: 10.6.7

I usually leave the SPM plugged in. Usually the battery status light is a solid green, pretty much normal behavior. Lately, overnight, when I come in to start the day, that status light is blinking green. Unplugging and reconnecting will bring back the solid green status, but again the next day the status light returns to blinking green. Not seeing anything in the FAQs that addresses this issue, nor am I finding a 'manual' to verify this behavior. Otherwise the SPM works just fine. Suggestions?
cgarch

Re: Battery status light blinks

Post by cgarch »

Correction: Device is a Space Mouse Wireless - not the Pro. Can't figure out how to edit the original post. .
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cgarch wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:37 am Lately, overnight, when I come in to start the day, that status light is blinking green. Unplugging and reconnecting will bring back the solid green status, but again the next day the status light returns to blinking green.
This is unexpected.

A blinking green LED indicates the device is charging but, once charged, the LED should turn to a steady green.

How old is the device? Perhaps the battery is showing its age and cannot hold enough charge to last overnight.
Nuno Gomes
cgarch

Post by cgarch »

ngomes wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:26 am
cgarch wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:37 am Lately, overnight, when I come in to start the day, that status light is blinking green. Unplugging and reconnecting will bring back the solid green status, but again the next day the status light returns to blinking green.
This is unexpected.

A blinking green LED indicates the device is charging but, once charged, the LED should turn to a steady green.

How old is the device? Perhaps the battery is showing its age and cannot hold enough charge to last overnight.
Interesting question. I searched for an invoice or an entry in an old copy of Quicken - no luck. going to guess that I have had it at least 3 years and more like 4-5. Its PID A4313420885 [p/n 3DX-600044]. I usually leave it plugged in since I experienced some latency issues a number of years ago. Going to try running it unplugged for a while [not seeing latency now . . ] - I sorta know that not exercising the battery is usally not a good thing. But damn, I sure do love the little bugger for work in Sketchup.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cgarch wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:50 pm going to guess that I have had it at least 3 years and more like 4-5. Its PID A4313420885 [p/n 3DX-600044].
That's a device manufactured in 2013, around eight years ago.
cgarch

Post by cgarch »

I'll monitor this and see how it goes, right now no other issue than the status light. Presume that the battery is not user replaceable, if it becomes an issue, I'll be back. Thanks for the assistance.
cgarch

Post by cgarch »

A couple of months later . . mouse is misbehaving . . does not show up in the 3DConnexion control panel - but the side buttons work . . in Sketchup, it will only go up and down in the Z axis. When the USB cable is disconnected and the mouse turned on, the indicator light is red. Since it appears that I'm 8 years into the device, it is probably time to buy a new one. Unfortunately the Space Navigator I've held in reserve also appears to no longer be supported in the software. Such a confluence.

cg
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cgarch wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:55 pm Unfortunately the Space Navigator I've held in reserve also appears to no longer be supported in the software.
The SpaceNavigator type is supported by the latest drivers and an until late 2022. You may be looking at issue with your system configuration, not lack of support in the software.