No device found on Monterey

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

evalentin

No device found on Monterey

Post by evalentin »

Hi,

I've just upgraded my mac to v12.0.1. My spacemouse compact 4.37 that was working flawlessly on big sur is not detected anymore by the driver ( 3386 ). I can see the mouse in the hardware report. but It behaves as a standard mouse moving the mouse cursor. Driver was installed twice, mac rebooted but no improvement. I've plugged it back on a second mac with big sur, it worked correctly.

what to do ?

thanks
emmanuel
ngomes

Re: No device found on Monterey

Post by ngomes »

evalentin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am what to do ?
Looks like you didn't "allow" the system extension in the Privacy & Security pane in System Preferences.
Nuno Gomes
evalentin

Post by evalentin »

I think the system extension has to be authorized once the device is detected. In my case, this does not happen. it is like if the driver is not instantiated when the mouse is plugged. so there is not extension to authorize in the privacy&security pane
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Using Activity Monitor, check if the process "3DconnexionHelper" (the driver agent program) is running after rebooting the system.
evalentin

Post by evalentin »

3DconnexionHelper was not running after reboot. I've started it manually and made sure it was in the startup items.
This is a fresh macos install where I've restored a timemachine backup without the applications.
There was a 3DconnexionHelper entry in the startup items but it was reporting a bad path warning. I suppose this old entry has prevented the setup software to define a proper entry in the startup items during the installation.

the spacemouse is properly recognized now that the agent is running.

thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

evalentin wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:39 am I've started it manually and made sure it was in the startup items.
As of "beta 20" (r3386), the driver is launched as an "agent", not from a startup item. Somehow, this approach does not seem to have worked on your system.

If you can, please check if there is a file to start "3DconnexionHelper" in /Library/LaunchAgents
evalentin

Post by evalentin »

yes. it is present ( com.3dconnexion.helper.plist ) and it is referring to /Applications/3Dconnexion/3DconnexionHelper.app but yesterday when I modified my configuration I've noticed that the 3DconnexionHelper.app was not present in this folder, it was compressed in a 3DconnexionHelper.zip file. I had to unzip it in the folder to make it available.
That is probably the root cause of the problem.
I'm going to remove the startup item to rely on the launch agent
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

evalentin wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:08 am 3DconnexionHelper.app [...] was compressed in a 3DconnexionHelper.zip file. I had to unzip it in the folder to make it available.
That is probably the root cause of the problem.
Interesting. I think you're right. There may have been a problem with unpacking the "helper" program during the installation process, causing the failure that you observed.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. We will see if we can find a possible cause for the observed scenario.