Scroll Wheel Unusable In MacOS 12.0.1

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

sholight

Scroll Wheel Unusable In MacOS 12.0.1

Post by sholight »

Ugh, once again we find yet another example of how 3D Connexion has zero interest in supporting Apple users. I'm sorry to start this post out in such a negative way but I am honestly at the end of my rope and pretty much ready to just say enough is enough and stop using 3D Connexion products.

I am a paid beta tester for a number of different industry CAD and model applications and it is literally my job to run the latest version of operating systems and applications. All the peripherals I use are able to match the pace of the OS release with the exception of 3D Connexion. For the last several years they have failed time-after-time to stay even remotely current with their drivers. The latest "beta" driver (10.7) offering is for MacOS 11, yet the current public release from Apple is 12. The beta 10.7 driver came out nearly two years ago now — that is one long @ss beta cycle. So I ask, what they heck is going on over at 3D Connexion and who at Logitech do we need to complain to? At this point I can only chalk it up to shear negligence and poor management. Companies a third the size of 3D Connexion are able to put out drivers consistent with Apple's OS release — so I ask, is 3D Connexion not interested in support Apple users? If the answer is no, then just tell us so we can move on and find a brand that is willing to support one of the largest customer bases in the world.

Okay now down to the issue at hand. Sometime over the last couple weeks, I suspect with the release of MacOS 12.0.1, the scroll wheel on CAD Mouse became completely unusable. Working in Vectorworks, C4D, or any Adobe product has become nothing short of completely painful. One or two steps of the scroll wheel will take you from a 25% Zoom to (and I kid you not, this is copy/paste) 1,159,788,837%. It is wholly inconsistent and makes zero sense. I've tried turn smart-scroll on and off, adjusting the scroll speed in the Apple mouse system pref (not that this should have any effect). I've tried running apps like Mos to limit scroll speed, but nothing helps.

I'm running 3DxWare version 10.7.0 (build 3411). My CadMouse Pro driver is 1.08. MacOS version is 12.0.1 (build 21A559) running on a Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 GHz 12-Core.

If anyone has any ideas (other than just buying a mouse from a different company which is my next move) I'm all ears. I'll give 3D Connexion till next week to respond and provide a solution, after that, I'm out! I've been a customer of their's for a long long time and convinced a lot of colleagues to purchase their products but I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy anymore.
cgarch

Re: Scroll Wheel Unusable In MacOS 12.0.1

Post by cgarch »

+1 on the scroll wheel issue, but I'll sidestep the rant. At least I'm not the only one with this issue. I'll just use my heavier Logitech wireless for now until the issue is resolved.
luping

Post by luping »

who at Logitech do we need to complain to?
No one at Logitech, 3Dconnexion is again an independent company after year 2011. It's a small company with fewer than 50 people(from what I know in 3Dconnexion webpage at Linkedin), not enough sales income/revenue/profit to support enough engineering software/driver developers. MacOS major version update cycle is too fast, Apple's desktop operating system is notorious for bad backward compatibility management.
cgarch

Post by cgarch »

Can't be just a 3DConnexion issue, my heavier Logitech mouse is having exactly the same problem, even with unlocking the 'ratchet' on the wheel. Two-finger swiping on the touchpad, works well . . go figure.
ORNMNTNCRM

Post by ORNMNTNCRM »

I'm having similar problems with the mouse wheel. It's started slipping a lot generally, but the effects and loss of control for me feel most erratic in Blender. Am still on Big Sur 11.6.4. — which would suggest that it is not necessarily an OS version issue.

Has there been any progress or additional insight on this? Thanks.
Hayley

Post by Hayley »

Hello,
I have been having a similar issue. The zoom wheel was working fine, and then it went completely out of control - it zooms in, then out, then in, then all the way to infinity, all while scrolling to zoom in. I emailed 3D connexion days ago, and have not received a reply. Did you ever find a way to fix the problem? Email is not a way to provide technical support to professionals who rely on the their tools in 2022.
Thank you for any advice.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Perhaps the issue is the CadMouse "Smart Scrolling" feature. The original poster above has tried enabling/disabling the feature to no effect but others in this thread can check if that's what's behind the issue they're observing.

You can disable "Smart Scrolling" in System Preferences > 3Dconnexion > Device tab.
Nuno Gomes
delaneyhf

Post by delaneyhf »

Having the same issue which started just recently. As Ngomes suggested I've tried working with "Smart Scrolling" disabled but it makes no difference either way. :cry:
Torquee

Post by Torquee »

Same problem here, scroll wheel totally unusable - which makes the CadMouse Compact Wireless unusable. Not cool as I am travelling and dependent on the CadMouse and the SpaceMouse for work. Isn’t this a fundamental function, that should just… work!? How can this slip through any software updates?

I am on MacOS 12.4 Monterey, using latest 3DxWare driver (10.7.3), CadMouse Compact Wireless firmware 1.10.

When in office we are using Logitech MX Master 3S and they are totally awesome - no problems whatsoever, love the freewheeling - such high precision compared to the indexed course feel of CadMouse scroll wheel.

No more CadMouses here on purchases list further up until upgraded to good standard - but SpaceMouse rocks though!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

It may simply be a hardware issue.

One way to tell is by uninstalling the 3Dconnexion software, rebooting and checking if the wheel continues to misbehave. If it does, I suggest getting in touch with our Technical Support team.
Torquee

Post by Torquee »

Thanks, yes it seems like it! Same behaviour - also tried on another computer, same. Sorry if I was a bit hard assuming it was software problem... Will check with support how to solve this.
pataroulis

Post by pataroulis »

Was this issue ever resolved somehow.? Just got a macbook and I am freaking out trying to scroll through everything..

thanks!
pixeltrain

Post by pixeltrain »

Same problem here on Mac OS 13.4.1 with newest driver!
No smart scrolling active.

Any solutions by 3Dconnexion?
Seems to be a common problem if I follow this thread ...

Helge