3DxWare 10.7.0 for macOS problems

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

slbaumgartner

Re: 3DxWare 10.7.0 for macOS problems

Post by slbaumgartner »

I have found that following a system restart or cold boot, SketchUp 2021 and SketchUp 2022 will crash while loading the 3DConnexion SketchUp extension. Usually if I then restart SketchUp, it will run successfully, including response to the Space Mouse - though sometimes it takes a couple of tries. This behavior is completely repeatable on my 2019 16" MacBookPro.

I have submitted multiple crash reports to SketchUp and also reported this before on the beta driver topic here, but it is still happening with the 10.7.0 final release driver. My suspicion is that the helper daemon hasn't started yet until SketchUp needs it, and then it isn't ready when the extension tries to connect to it.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

slbaumgartner wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:42 pm I have found that following a system restart or cold boot, SketchUp 2021 and SketchUp 2022 will crash while loading the 3DConnexion SketchUp extension. Usually if I then restart SketchUp, it will run successfully, including response to the Space Mouse - though sometimes it takes a couple of tries. [...]

I have submitted multiple crash reports to SketchUp and also reported this before on the beta driver topic here, but it is still happening with the 10.7.0 final release driver. [...]
Hi

I'm having exactly the same issues. Multiple crashes of Sketchup trying to load extensions. Eventually, it will load.

My Wireless SpaceMouse will also disconnect after "a period" of time (undefined), and I need to unplug and re-plug in the dongle to get it to work again.

Every so often, the combination of these events just becomes too much and Sketchup simply will not launch. I then need to reboot the Mac, and go through the several Sketchup failed start iterations to get going again.

I reported this issue in the beta forum, and have persisted for the last few weeks, but there is obviously something wrong.

Mac OS is 12.2, but was having exactly the same problems on Catalina. Sketchup is 2022, but again, was having the same issues with SU2020. Upgraded both a week ago, a few weeks after upgrading the 3DConnextion driver.

I can generate error logs, but I can't see anyway to upload them to this forum. Happy to submit anything that will help, or try to help with more reproducible steps. Let me know.

Cheers
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

After much frustration over SketchUp crashing repeatedly, I uninstalled driver 10.7.0 and the crashes have gone away. There is something seriously wrong with the SketchUp extension for this driver!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

slbaumgartner wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:48 pm After much frustration over SketchUp crashing repeatedly, I uninstalled driver 10.7.0 and the crashes have gone away. There is something seriously wrong with the SketchUp extension for this driver!
If possible, we'd like to have a look at the crash reports collected by the system.

Check the Console app for "Crash Reports" for SketchUp. Then, right-click on a crash report and select "Reveal in Finder". Collect all the reports you wish to share in a single zip file. Then send the zip file to one of us in a private message using a Dropbox/OneDrive/GDrive/etc link to share the file. Please remember to post here that you have sent a private message and to whom it was addressed.

IMPORTANT: do not post links to crash reports in public web sites. Crash reports may contain sensitive information. In the case of 3Dconnexion software this does not really apply but do take care.
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

@ngomes I PM'd a DropBox link to a zip of 6 crash on launch reports from the past few days. I sent it to you as I don't know anyone else appropriate. Please pass on to the right people.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

slbaumgartner wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:52 am @ngomes I PM'd a DropBox link to a zip of 6 crash on launch reports from the past few days.
Got them. Many thanks for sharing the data. We're analysing it this week.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

ngomes wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:09 am If possible, we'd like to have a look at the crash reports collected by the system.

Check the Console app for "Crash Reports" for SketchUp. Then, right-click on a crash report and select "Reveal in Finder". Collect all the reports you wish to share in a single zip file. Then send the zip file to one of us in a private message using a Dropbox/OneDrive/GDrive/etc link to share the file. Please remember to post here that you have sent a private message and to whom it was addressed.

IMPORTANT: do not post links to crash reports in public web sites. Crash reports may contain sensitive information. In the case of 3Dconnexion software this does not really apply but do take care.
Hi

I have also sent 6 x Crash reports to you @ngomes via Private Message. Mine are all within a few minutes of each other to hopefully shine some light on the repeated crashes at start up.

If you need any further diagnostics or information, please do not hesitate to ask

Have a great weekend
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Holliers wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:34 am I have also sent 6 x Crash reports to you @ngomes via Private Message.
Got the reports and I have passed the data on to the team. Much appreciated, Holliers.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

ngomes wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:06 am
Holliers wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:34 am I have also sent 6 x Crash reports to you @ngomes via Private Message.
Got the reports and I have passed the data on to the team. Much appreciated, Holliers.
No problem. Happy to respond to questions or provide more info if needed.

Cheers
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

After updating to Mac OS 12.2.1 (Monterey) my Spacemouse wireless on longer works with Vectorworks 2022. It was working fine before. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 10.7 drivers but the mouse paring does not work properly. What is the correct procedure for reactivating the device :?: :|
mark-in-seattle

Post by mark-in-seattle »

slbaumgartner wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:48 pm After much frustration over SketchUp crashing repeatedly, I uninstalled driver 10.7.0 and the crashes have gone away. There is something seriously wrong with the SketchUp extension for this driver!
Experiencing many SU-2021-Pro crashes since upgrading to 3Dconnexion mac driver v10.7.0 as well.

If I might ask, how did you uninstall the 3Dconnexion driver and which SpaceMouse or other 3Dconnexion driver did you downgrade to ?

Did you ever try updating your 3Dconnexion mouse firmware ?

I posted the following on the Sketchup User Forum regarding my problems with Sketchup and newest 3Dconnexion driver:

Welcome to my world … I have a 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless and since updating this device’s driver a few weeks ago my Sketchup experience is shot to hell.

Under MacOS Catalina with all the current updates, SU-2021-Pro has been crashing frequently: 4 times per day, sometimes when SU is idle in an open window it just crashes to amuse itself I guess. No other program I use is crashing or giving any trouble at all JUST SKETCHUP which uses the SpaceMouse input device.

This is so frustrating, I am in the middle of a large important project and now I need to troubleshoot SU and 3Dconnexion, whose 3D-mouse hardware is adored but chained to software drivers that are almost universally panned. And I thought Trimble was not very good regarding timely software updates, go have a google: “3Dconnexion SpaceMouse drivers”, they make Trimble developers look like saints by comparison to 3Dconnexion support of the Mac community.

I will try to downgrade my SpaceMouse driver and report back here with the results. If I see improvement it might help your situation with 3Dconnexion and SU-2022.

“We’re all in this together, keep your stick on the ice” (Red Green)
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

mark-in-seattle wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:25 am
Experiencing many SU-2021-Pro crashes since upgrading to 3Dconnexion mac driver v10.7.0 as well.

If I might ask, how did you uninstall the 3Dconnexion driver and which SpaceMouse or other 3Dconnexion driver did you downgrade to ?
I used the uninstall utility that is put in Applications/3DConnexion by their installer
Did you ever try updating your 3Dconnexion mouse firmware ?
Once some time ago I updated the firmware (mine is an original Space Navigator). It was an awkward process at the time because the updater would only run on Windows! I don't know if that has changed. I haven't found any link to firmware update on the site, have you? Last time a tech support person provided a link.
rjtiedeman

Post by rjtiedeman »

Ever since updating my iMac Pro to the latest 12.2.1 System (macOS Monterey) my SpaceMouse wireless needs have the receiver unplugged and reinserted for it to work. I have uninstalled the drivers several times and and the spacemouse does not pair properly. The controls panel shows firmware 0.00 but when plugged in it shows 4.40. Would be great if this device worked. The next update to macOS is coming next week.
Holliers

Post by Holliers »

ngomes wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:06 am
Any progress on these issues please? My day-to-day workflow is being disrupted quite bit.

Daily, SpaceMouse disconnects and needs to be unplugged / plugged back in to renew the connection
Daily, have to launch SketchUp several times to get past repeated crashes.
Weekly, need to reboot my machine to restore SpaceMouse performance, and work though 5-10 startup crashes to get Sketchup up and running again.

Now, having had Sketchup completely grind to a holt I disabled the 3DConnexion extension. Net result is that Sketchup sprang back into life, but now there is no way to reenable the extension without Sketchup crashing immediately. I am going to try re-installing the 3DConnxtion driver in the hope that this will work, but it really is starting to look like my SpaceMouse has been bricked.

Sketchup performs perfectly, and fast, with the 3DConnexion driver disabled.

I've been a loyal customer for years. I reported these issue during beta and I sort of feel let down here.

The driver / extension is broken / wasn't ready for release - please escalate this issue appropriately.

Thanks.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Holliers wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:02 am Any progress on these issues please?
This is the highest priority for some of us.

What's delaying us is that we cannot get the crashes to occur on our own development and test systems.