Axes non-responsive Monterey / 10.7.0

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

millerrh

Axes non-responsive Monterey / 10.7.0

Post by millerrh »

Just got a new MacBook Pro and moved my Space Mouse over from my Windows PC. I went to customize the axes and nothing seemed to work. As a test, I set all of them do "disabled" for "Any Application" and it's still acting like they are all set at the default. Am I missing something obvious here? I did some searching and didn't see anyone else with a similar issue.
ngomes

Re: Axes non-responsive Monterey / 10.7.0

Post by ngomes »

millerrh wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:01 pm I set all of them do "disabled" for "Any Application" and it's still acting like they are all set at the default.
Perhaps there is a configuration for the application that you are using. The "Any Application" name is somewhat misleading: it actually means "any other application". A better name would perhaps be "Other Applications".

If you can tell us what application you're using, we may be able to tell if the above is indeed your issue.
Nuno Gomes
millerrh

Post by millerrh »

I'm literally just trying to test this in Safari for the moment and to disable the zooming, only allowing scrolling.
But what caused me to post this is that nothing I do to the Axes settings makes any changes whatsoever to the behavior of the 3D mouse. That's why I mentioned doing the test where I disabled everything for all applications. Not that I'd want to do that in reality, but it was a test to see if I could make it not work. And even though it was all set to disabled, I had all axes working as if I never touched it. This is what made me think this is broken.

I had something similar where Logitech Options wouldn't set my mouse functions correctly as well, but once I allowed Logitech Options to control my computer (System Preferences > Security & Privacy >Accessibility) it started working. It is making me think there is something similar for 3DxWare that just isn't enabled and once I enable it, it will allow me to have this control over the axes.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

millerrh wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:32 pm I'm literally just trying to test this in Safari for the moment and to disable the zooming, only allowing scrolling.
Safari has its own configuration. Try editing that instead of "Any Application".
millerrh

Post by millerrh »

Thanks ngomes,

I am getting it to recognize some changes when I pick Safari as the app. I find it odd that picking "Any Application" wouldn't also change Safari though as Safari should fall under the umbrella of Any Application.

I was able to disable the zooming in and out feature which is fantastic, but I also want to reverse the scrolling, so that when I pull down it scrolls down and when I push up, it scrolls up. While I was able to disable the zooming behavior by disabling "3D Mouse Spin" Axes, nothing I do seems to impact the scrolling direction. Can you give some guidance on how to flip this?
millerrh

Post by millerrh »

Scratch my last message. I must have messed something up in my testing. It looks like swapping 3D Mouse Tilt Forward/Backward functions work like I would expect it to.
millerrh

Post by millerrh »

Now as I am trying to configure all my regular applications, I'm realizing that Firefox has no response whatsoever. When trying to select it from the list of apps it did not appear. I manually added it, but still no response from the 3D mouse. Any suggestions?
millerrh

Post by millerrh »

I also cannot seem to adjust the scrolling speed in Safari.
Under Device > Overall Speed: this slider doesn't seem to do anything

3D Mouse Tilt Backward/Forward > Mapped to 2D Mouse Scroll Up/Scroll Down: Mode: X Times/sec I would expect would change the speed of scrolling, but it doesn't seem to have any impact.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

millerrh wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 am I manually added it, but still no response from the 3D mouse. Any suggestions?
See what you have in the Safari configuration, then try to match that (axis and buttons) for the new Firefox configuration. Different applications usually handling mouse and keyboard input differently, so you may have to create macro specific for Firefox.
millerrh wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:03 am I also cannot seem to adjust the scrolling speed in Safari.
Under Device > Overall Speed: this slider doesn't seem to do anything

3D Mouse Tilt Backward/Forward > Mapped to 2D Mouse Scroll Up/Scroll Down: Mode: X Times/sec I would expect would change the speed of scrolling, but it doesn't seem to have any impact.
I have not tried to change the speed of an emulated mouse action. Not sure this is supported.
millerrh

Post by millerrh »

Thanks for the suggestion. Just as Safari was, each application needs very specific commands to work right. So I got Firefox and other apps to work by manually adding them and configuring the scroll like Safari.

The issue I am still having with every application where I am using the 3D mouse for scrolling (which is my primary use case) is that it is way too fast. Rather than scrolling smoothly, it jumps to the end of the page near instantly and I don't see a way to control how fast it scrolls.

As for the speed of emulated mouse scrolls, I think this is supposed to be supported in the "Mode:" drop-down. This drop down allows you to set the activity happening at different rates/speed.
"Press and Hold" seems to notch it one scroll at a time but only once. Every other selection reverts to the super fast and super sensitive scrolling without a noticeable difference between them. It scrolls so fast I don't see a way to actually use it effectively.

millerrh

Post by millerrh »

I wanted to follow up with this post. I am not sure what changed (maybe subsequent restarts of my computer?) but the scrolling speed modes do work now. I have no idea why they would have appeared to have no change before but do now, but at least I am able to get it to work as expected.