CadMouse Compact Wireless + Spacemouse

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Suomi

CadMouse Compact Wireless + Spacemouse

Post by Suomi »

I wondered if a single wireless usb receiver is enough for these both (CadMouse Compact Wireless + Spacemouse)
to be connected at the same time on my MacBook Pro? By this I mean in case I buy these devices separately, not as a kit.
Thanks.
ngomes

Re: CadMouse Compact Wireless + Spacemouse

Post by ngomes »

Suomi wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:13 pm I wondered if a single wireless usb receiver is enough for these both (CadMouse Compact Wireless + Spacemouse)
to be connected at the same time on my MacBook Pro?
On the Mac, not anymore. It is possible to use a single receiver on Windows and on Mac up to macOS 10.15.

On macOS 11 and older, the USB receiver can't be used with wireless CadMouse products any longer (buttons won't click). On versions of macOS where kernel extensions can still be used -- macOS 10.15 and older, you can install driver version 10.6 to use USB receivers with a wireless CadMouse.

Note the limitation applies only to wireless CadMouse products. SpaceMouse products are unaffected and can still be used with the USB receiver (up to five devices can be paired at any one time with a Universal Receiver).
Nuno Gomes
Suomi

Post by Suomi »

Thank you so much for the answer!

I have a MacBook Pro 11.6 Big Sur which means that only one USB receiver isn't enough
for the both, Spacemouse and CadMouse, if I understood correctly.
But what does it really mean when you say that SpaceMouse products
are unaffected and can still be used with the USB receiver (up to 5 devices)
and can be paired at any one time with a universal receiver? Does it mean that
5 different devices can use the same USB receiver but NEVER at the same time?
Or is the CadMouse the only device that cannot be used at the same time?
Sorry, I think I'm making this too difficult lol.
Thanks again!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Suomi wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:02 pm Does it mean that
5 different devices can use the same USB receiver but NEVER at the same time?
The Universal Receiver (UR) can pair up to five wireless devices (any combination of wireless SpaceMouse and CadMouse devices) and they can all be used at the same time.
Or is the CadMouse the only device that cannot be used at the same time?
On macOS 11 and newer, CadMouse devices cannot be used with a UR because the buttons won't click. We have a kernel extension to workaround the problem (which was actually introduced in OS X 10.10) but kernel extension cannot be used on macOS 11 (and newer) any longer.

Since the 10.7.0 driver does not include the kernel extension (useless on the newer OS versions), you can use the old 10.6.x drivers on macOS 10.15 if you wish to use a UR with a CadMouse.

The limitation only applies to CadMouse: you can still use any number of SpaceMouse devices paired to the same UR on all versions of the operating systems. Again, the problem is only with CadMouse buttons not clicking on macOS 11 and newer if the device is connected over a UR.