3DxMacWare & Photoshop CS5 / LightRoom3 - not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

eT

3DxMacWare & Photoshop CS5 / LightRoom3 - not working

Post by eT »

I just downloaded the updated 3DxMacWare driver V 1.7.0 (updated today) and installed it on my MacBook with Mac OS X 10.6.8 SnowLeopard.

Unfortunately my SpaceNavigator is not working within Photoshop CS5 (12.0.4) [including Bridge CS5 4.0.4.2) nor Lightroom 3 (V 3.5)

[it seems to work (zooming & panning) in Acrobat Pro (9.4.6)]

I already switched Photoshop CS5 to 32-bit mode: SpaceNavigator still not working.

Is this a known issue or should it actually work flawless?

Did I stupidly oversee something I would have to set?

How should I proceed further?

Looking forward to your help and input! Thanks in advance!
eT

btw: SpaceNavigator also does not function in Mac OS X Preview (as I understood it should work, shouldn't it?)
eT

Post by eT »

FYI:
even though I downloaded the 1.7.0 version just today while installing it the installer offers a 'check for updates' which then tell me that there's a new version (namely 1.7.0) available ... =;-o

also I downgraded (uninstalled and then installed) to version 1.6.3: no improvement, still SpaceNavigator afunctional as mentioned before.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi eT,

we have a Supported Application List here. Lightroom is not on that list, but Photoshop.

Is the device new or did you use it before?
Did you try one of the demos?
eT

Post by eT »

UtaSH wrote:Hi eT,

we have a Supported Application List here. Lightroom is not on that list, but Photoshop.
Thanks Uta for the feedback. I knew that Photoshop would be 'supported' (which was one of my motivations to actually buy the Space Navigator). It's still unclear for me if Adobe Bridge CS5 is supported - as well as Adobe Camera RAW - applications which I would consider part of Photoshop CS5. Could you clarify on this?

I understand that Lightroom is not supported. Which is a great pity! Any plans to support Lightroom in near future?

UtaSH wrote: Is the device new or did you use it before?
I used it before.
UtaSH wrote: Did you try one of the demos?
Put it that way. It works in Adobe Acrobat - but not Photoshop. Also within Google Earth it works.

On interesting observation: when installing the latest version as mentioned above the Installer advises that there's a newer version (namely 1.7.0) available and recommends to download it ... but actually I am installing this version. Any idea why this happens?

Thanks for you input, very much appreciated. I'd really love to get the Space Navigator working - not only for myself but also to be able to recommend it to my fellow photography friends.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

eT wrote: I knew that Photoshop would be 'supported' (which was one of my motivations to actually buy the Space Navigator). It's still unclear for me if Adobe Bridge CS5 is supported - as well as Adobe Camera RAW - applications which I would consider part of Photoshop CS5. Could you clarify on this?
The plugin provided by 3Dconnexion is for Photoshop only. Sorry.
eT wrote: I understand that Lightroom is not supported. Which is a great pity! Any plans to support Lightroom in near future?
We are in contact with Adobe to discuss topics like this, but the more effective way would be if you make it clear to Adobe how important the use of the 3D mouse is for you.
eT wrote:On interesting observation: when installing the latest version as mentioned above the Installer advises that there's a newer version (namely 1.7.0) available and recommends to download it ... but actually I am installing this version. Any idea why this happens?
Sorry, no. We will check this.

Do you see the file 3DxPhotoshopCS5.plugin in the plugin folder of your Photoshop installation?
sgouross

photoshop cs5 nd space pilot in mac OS lion

Post by sgouross »

Hello i am reading all these interesting conversation about the 3d connection mouse like the one i have space pilot , but i still havent found out the sollution to make it work with my photoshop cs5 , what am i doing wrong?
i have a mac pro 1.1 and everything im my mc works perfect accept to this, please help me
studio sgouros
sgouross

sorry my mistake

Post by sgouross »

i have a space navigator... (i wish i could aford a space pilot)
studio sgouros
Barbara

Photoshop CS5 and Space Navigator

Post by Barbara »

Hello sgouross -

The plugin for Photoshop CS5 works in 32-bit mode only as shown here.

If Photoshop CS5 was installed after the 3Dconnexion software, you will need to run the 3Dconnexion software again to install the plugin.With the plugin is installed you should see 3DxPhotoshop listed in the File-Automate menu. You do not need to click on it - seeing it listed there indicates the plugin is present.

If you are not able to pan in an image, try zooming in. This allows room in the image window to pan vertically and horizontally.
----------------
Barbara