Pro Wireless buttons not working in Monterey :(

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

constellation

Pro Wireless buttons not working in Monterey :(

Post by constellation »

Hello,

I just bought a new M1 MacBook Pro with Monterey 12.3.1 pre-installed on it, and I cannot get my Pro Wireless Mouse working.
I updated the mouse to the last firmware and installed the last driver.

If I use bluetooth connection, only the left and right buttons works, and the mouse seems to be very, very laggy.
If I use the USB dongle, the lag problem is solved, but all the buttons aren't working...

Do you know how can I solve the problem?

Thanks!

A
luping

Re: Pro Wireless buttons not working in Monterey :(

Post by luping »

Return the MacBook Pro or buy a mobile workstation with Windows OS installed to get the most complete 3DxWare driver support.
constellation

Post by constellation »

luping wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:28 am Return the MacBook Pro or buy a mobile workstation with Windows OS installed to get the most complete 3DxWare driver support.
I'd rather draw with my tongue on a sandpaper sheet than using Windows.
constellation

Post by constellation »

I bought a mouse who claimed to be compatible to MacOS but... not at all, in fact.
And I contacted the support but nobody reply since 3 weeks :)
Very nice company.
luping

Post by luping »

Apple's operating system development and upgrade is notorious for its poor backward compatibility and poor third-party hardware compatibility, sometimes major changes are introduced to break version to version compatibility, it can be a nightmare for small hardware manufacturer. Bear in mind that 3Dconnexion a small company with very constrained human resources to support MacOS platform as good as Windows OS, very hard to retain talented hardware driver & firmware developers in a time of COVID-19 stricken business environment. The majority user base of 3Dconnexion hardware is on Windows OS. Try to replace the SpaceMouse Pro Wireless with SpaceMouse Wireless with no keyboard emulated buttons, the guiding principle is less is more.
constellation

Post by constellation »

Or, I will just avoid 3DConnexion in the future.
Thanks.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

constellation wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:35 am I bought a mouse who claimed to be compatible to MacOS but... not at all, in fact.
And I contacted the support but nobody reply since 3 weeks :)
Very nice company.
That might just be a communication loss, a black whole, easter holidays or a spam folder in between.

As you did not receive much help or satire only from forum users, I can't help either as I have only
USB devices, I would recommend to retry contact with Support.
luping

Post by luping »

To be clear, I harbour no sarcastic manner, I simply give the advice from my own experience.
jesse.art

Post by jesse.art »

constellation wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:04 am Hello,

I just bought a new M1 MacBook Pro with Monterey 12.3.1 pre-installed on it, and I cannot get my Pro Wireless Mouse working.
I updated the mouse to the last firmware and installed the last driver...
Must be specific to M1. I have the same setup but on my intel Mac Pro and the mouse works fine with BT. The wireless dongle however, is a different matter. 🤷‍♂️
constellation

Post by constellation »

Yes the mouse worked fine on my old Intel macbook.

For M1 mac users: don't buy 3Dconnexion stuff. It's just buggy and not supported.
laserwaves

Post by laserwaves »

Suggesting that mac computers, a highly sought after creative workstation, is not good for the mouse is ridiculous.

It is not 2003, its not difficult for developers these days to write things for mac/arm.

It is only difficult if the company wants to BE difficult and not invest the money in a fix for what is now over 20% of the computer users market in the entire world.

The same kind of people decide 'don't bother making the website mobile friendly, because most users are 3d designers who will be visiting from a desktop!' even though 65+% of users will now be visiting sites from their mobile devices, even if they use desktops regularly.
constellation

Post by constellation »

You're completely right.

MAC USERS, AVOID 3DCONNEXION STUFF: YOUR COMPUTER IS NOT / WON'T BE SUPPORTED.
constellation

Post by constellation »

laserwaves wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 am Suggesting that mac computers, a highly sought after creative workstation, is not good for the mouse is ridiculous.

It is not 2003, its not difficult for developers these days to write things for mac/arm.

It is only difficult if the company wants to BE difficult and not invest the money in a fix for what is now over 20% of the computer users market in the entire world.

The same kind of people decide 'don't bother making the website mobile friendly, because most users are 3d designers who will be visiting from a desktop!' even though 65+% of users will now be visiting sites from their mobile devices, even if they use desktops regularly.

I was even told by the support team that they didn't even know about the issue.
They don't even test their own mouses on updated apple computers.
ThomasSch

Post by ThomasSch »

I just contacted the 3DConnexion support today. I switched to a M1 MacBookPro and I had the same behaviour of my CADMouse Wireless, no button clicks. The CADMouse wasn't recognised by 3DConnexion system preferences app. The support was really fast and very helpful and fixed my problem.
Here is the answer:
General: Never use the receiver as it will not work. Connect the mouse using Bluetooth or use an USB cable.
You need to update the firmware of the mouse with an USB-cable connected. Mine was still at v1.01. The link is: https://3dconnexion.com/support/faq/cad ... ick-macos/.
Here you find the new firmware (1.20) version. There is a user_guide.pdf within the download, which you need to follow, especially section 4, where you need to enable Input Monitor for Terminal. Nothing complicated, though.
Then start tdxflash. The mouse will be updated.
The remaining thing to do was to disconnect the USB cable and then remove the CADMouse from the Bluetooth Preferences. Then turn the mouse on and connect it again using the Bluetooth Preferences. This worked for me. After that, the CADMouse was visible by the 3DConnection Preferences App (3DxWare 10.7.2), where I could configure it appropriately.

Hope that helps to fix the problems.

/Thomas
constellation

Post by constellation »

Nope, that does NOT fix the laggy pointer issue.