3D Mouse not working with Cinema 4D on M1 Mac

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Peter Fagerberg

Re: 3D Mouse not working with Cinema 4D on M1 Mac

Post by Peter Fagerberg »

ngomes wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:41 am
kasteph wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:06 pm to make up for an unfinished driver
As mentioned above, the vendor blocked support for SpaceMouse devices in the Cinema 4D build for the M1. It's not the driver that is the issue here.

3Dconnexion is actively engaging with Maxon to resolve this but it will require an update to the application. Once we have more information to share on this issue, we will do so.
So @ngome, this was in July. Any information from Maxon on this issue that you'd like to share? If Maxon has decided to cut you guys out by removing support for 3Dconnexion in Ciname 4D on Apple M1 and M2 CPUs please just let us know. It's just really frustrating to see every new version of C4D on MacOS being released without this issue being fixed... :?
Diegomonzon

Post by Diegomonzon »

So I just bought a Space Mouse to use with Cinema 4D 2023 on an M1 computer and found out that this is still not solved.
I did a bit of research and found this page on the Maxon website basically throwing the ball to your side .

https://support.maxon.net/hc/en-us/arti ... -on-M1-Mac

If you use Cinema 4D R25 on an Apple Silicon System, you will encounter some Limitations in Cinema 4D's functionality.

The following functions are not available in native mode:

Substance Exchange
Import of SketchUp Files
3D Connexion Mouse Support
We will fix these issues as soon as possible, as soon as the vendors have adapted the required libraries to the Apple Silicon architecture.

Currently, you can run Cinema 4D in the Rosetta mode on M1 systems, to use it.

Will this actually be solved sometime?
kasteph

Post by kasteph »

Dear Admins,

can you please give this topic an update from 3Dconnexion AND Maxon? Last week Cinema 4D 2023.0.1 was released and there is again no response on our space mice.The explicit 3Dconnexion dialog ist still included (see attached).

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
3dconnexion-dialog-c4d2023-0-1.jpg
3dconnexion-dialog-c4d2023-0-1.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 50375 times
Peter Fagerberg

And we have yet another release of Cinema 4D (v2023.1.0) and my Space Mouse IS STILL NOT WORKING!

Has anyone else had any luck? Extremely frustrating to say the least. :x
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

I have just written to Maxon support again. I think the problem will only be solved if a lot of angry users contact them. So everyone who reads this should do so. This bug is extremely annoying.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

I am pretty sure that 3DConnexion can't offer support for C4D if Maxon does not collaborate.
Not impossible, but hard to imagine Maxon wants but 3DConnexion blocks any support.
But for now, BOTH say they wait for the other party !?

So something is wrong here.
If I personally would still rely on C4D -AND- 3DConnexion Devices, from a professional
standpoint, I would say this is not a connection I can trust and count on.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

zoomer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:55 am I am pretty sure that 3DConnexion can't offer support for C4D if Maxon does not collaborate.
We have repeatedly stated that 3Dconnexion and Maxon are actively collaborating to restore SpaceMouse support to Cinema 4D on M1 systems.

It is work in progress.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

Sorry, I did understand these Posts as Maxon is blocking and so 3DConnexion can't do much ... (?)
Can't remember having read about a collaboration.
But If you say so - OK.

Sorry for my pessimistic view.
kasteph

Post by kasteph »

ngomes wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:59 am We have repeatedly stated that 3Dconnexion and Maxon are actively collaborating to restore SpaceMouse support to Cinema 4D on M1 systems.

It is work in progress.
But we can agree that this is about a simple driver for a 3D Input device we are talking here for about a year now and not about engineering a fusion reactor?

May I guess that being in a monopolistic situation (3D Connexion as the only supplier for 3D mice) does not really speed up things on getting this fixed??
pes

Post by pes »

Just bought an M1 Mac and was surprised by this issue.
There is a simple workaround - just start cinema under rosetta. Might be some drawbacks and speed issues, but at least 3dmouse is working.
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

Now we have a Cinema 4d update but the Space Mouse is not supported. That's terrible.
Peter Fagerberg

ngomes wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:59 am
zoomer wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:55 am I am pretty sure that 3DConnexion can't offer support for C4D if Maxon does not collaborate.
We have repeatedly stated that 3Dconnexion and Maxon are actively collaborating to restore SpaceMouse support to Cinema 4D on M1 systems.

It is work in progress.
kasteph wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:52 am
ngomes wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:59 am We have repeatedly stated that 3Dconnexion and Maxon are actively collaborating to restore SpaceMouse support to Cinema 4D on M1 systems.

It is work in progress.
But we can agree that this is about a simple driver for a 3D Input device we are talking here for about a year now and not about engineering a fusion reactor?
Which is kind of funny since I'm actually working with a company that is designing a fusion reactor. www.novatronfusion.com :-)

But we now have Cinema 4D 2023.1.2 (December 7 release) and guess what? Still no 3DConnexion native support on Apple hardware... We're still not clear about where the problem lies, who is working on it (Maxon? 3Dconnexion? Both?), or a time frame for a possible solution. Running C4D in Rosetta simply doesn't work for those of us that use 3rd-party renderers (that now see large speed gains on Apple hardware).

Again, why can't we get some OFFICIAL and clear messaging on this issue? And I mean something more substantial than "we're working on it"...
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

This is definitely a problem caused by Cinema 4d. Maxon support also admits that. But they are not interested.
I have now stopped buying hardware from 3Dconnexion for our company.
But the only thing that will help: everyone here should write to Maxon support as often as possible.
luping

Post by luping »

RicoHo wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:14 pm This is definitely a problem caused by Cinema 4d. Maxon support also admits that. But they are not interested.
But the only thing that will help: everyone here should write to Maxon support as often as possible.
Switch to a Windows PC.
RicoHo

Post by RicoHo »

luping wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:12 am
RicoHo wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:14 pm This is definitely a problem caused by Cinema 4d. Maxon support also admits that. But they are not interested.
Switch to a Windows PC.
I would do anything, but not that.