Spacemouse driver not working in Ventura

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Re: Spacemouse driver not working in Ventura

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:38 am can you guys confirm that there should be two allow items not just one?
Not confirmed. There is only one "allow" button on the "Security & Privacy" pane. This button only appears after installing the driver.
zoomer

Post by zoomer »

ngomes wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:22 am You may want to check 10.7.2 just to confirm that the LED issue that you're seeing is indeed MAC-343.

The only issue related to macOS 13 "Ventura" that we are aware is the weird dialogue with only the "Security & Privacy" icon and an "OK" button. That dialogue appears to have been fixed in macOS 13 Beta 13.
Sorry, this is my working System.
I do not really want the risk to see if could run into installation problems
on my Public Beta or of it is already fixed. As so far 10.7.3 is generally working for me.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ngomes wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:39 am
cjadams wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:38 am can you guys confirm that there should be two allow items not just one?
Not confirmed. There is only one "allow" button on the "Security & Privacy" pane. This button only appears after installing the driver.
I understand there is ONE allow button on the interface.. but weren't there 2 drivers that get installed? and you need to allow BOTH of them?
I used to get 2 requests for password not only one.. this time.. but the allow button DOES show when i install and as i said the puck works.. the hotkeys do not.. its similar to what happend with big sur or at least feels like its the same issue..
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I just went back to the original place where the symlink for the driver extension used to be .. and i don't know IF there should have been a new one put in or if that was legacy from earlier installs. but if there IS suposed to be a symlink there.. at the moment there is NOT
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 3.07.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 3.07.55 PM.png (103 KiB) Viewed 22197 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:53 am I understand there is ONE allow button on the interface.. but weren't there 2 drivers that get installed? and you need to allow BOTH of them?
There is only one DriverKit extension (dext) installation that triggers the prompt to "allow" the system software to load.

This has always been the case (one single prompt) since macOS has had this security measure put in place.

There are multiple prompts for the administrator password. Even if the entire installation package has gone through a full notarization process (all software is securely signed), the system will still prompt the user multiple times. This appears to be the intent and how macOS is designed to operate.

We don't know why the "allow" button is not shown on your system. We believe it is unrelated to anything specific to macOS 13. In other words, there is something on your system that is configured incorrectly or is in an invalid state.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

you are wrong i am getting the allow!!!!!
and i hit it and put in my password as normal!!!

that isn’t the problem

the problem is the same as was with big sur
no spacemouse modifiers or hot keys working

the puck does work!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:09 pm but if there IS suposed to be a symlink there.. at the moment there is NOT
The DriverKit extension (dext) executable is included in the 3DconnexionHelper.app bundle. The full path is:

Code: Select all

/Applications/3Dconnexion/3DconnexionHelper.app/Contents/Library/SystemExtensions/com.3dconnexion.dext.dext
The directory /Library/DriverExtension was where the system copied the dext executable files in macOS 11 and 12.

In macOS 13 -- and once the user "allows" the dext to load, it is copied to (the UUID is unknown):

/Library/SystemExtensions/<some UUID>/com.3dconnexion.dext.dext
But that location is mostly a moot point since it is not documented and can change again in a future update to macOS.

You can also find that directory by running the "ps" command as indicated by @crobl here:

ps aux | grep 3dconnexion
In working systems, there will be a single process running the dext under the "_driverkit" account.

The documented method to check the status of system extensions is to use the "systemextensionsctl" tool:

systemextensionsctl list
When run in Terminal, the above command will list all installed system extensions and what their status is. It should be "[activated enabled]".
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:45 am the problem is the same as was with big sur
no spacemouse modifiers or hot keys working
You are referring to our beta software for macOS 11 "Big Sur".

Yes, keyboard emulation was broken in macOS 11 because third-party kernel extensions (kext) were blocked by the system. The keyboard emulation feature was restored once we deployed a DriverKit extension (dext) to replace the kext.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ok ill double check the last few posts commands and let you know.. it is strange though that the outcome is the same far as functionality goes my hotkeys and modifiers don't work ..but i will check on the status of the kernel ext again.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:59 am it is strange though that the outcome is the same far as functionality goes my hotkeys and modifiers don't work
If, for reasons unknown, the DriverKit extension (dext) cannot load, then the expectation is the keyboard emulation feature being broken (hotkeys won't work).

Having said that, it is possible that all is well with the dext but something else is blocking the virtual keyboard but this is only a guess since we don't know how the system could be configured that way.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

i'm willing to have a tech do a remote option if that helps
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

This is still an issue.. Has there been any progress?

This seems to happen with each and every OS update. and.. eventually gets resolved by the time of the next big os update.. don't you guys test against any late stage betas.. ???
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ngomes wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:57 am
cjadams wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:59 am it is strange though that the outcome is the same far as functionality goes my hotkeys and modifiers don't work
If, for reasons unknown, the DriverKit extension (dext) cannot load, then the expectation is the keyboard emulation feature being broken (hotkeys won't work).

Having said that, it is possible that all is well with the dext but something else is blocking the virtual keyboard but this is only a guess since we don't know how the system could be configured that way.
Has there been any progress? .. even willing to test a beta driver.. dead in the water here. .
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:37 am Has there been any progress? .. even willing to test a beta driver.. dead in the water here. .
We don't know why you are having an issue.

We speculate that the dext is being blocked on your system and cannot load but we don't know why.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ngomes wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:56 am
cjadams wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:37 am Has there been any progress? .. even willing to test a beta driver.. dead in the water here. .
We don't know why you are having an issue.

We speculate that the dext is being blocked on your system and cannot load but we don't know why.
Is there a new beta version under way?.. I will be happy to test.. ASLO.. is there a list of installed files.. that i can manually delete incase something there is blocking things? i.e manual uninstall