Movement in Maya becomes laggy over time

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

RVeldhuyzen

Movement in Maya becomes laggy over time

Post by RVeldhuyzen »

I am currently running 10.7.2 (3454) for my SpaceMouse Pro Wireless on MacOS 12.4 with Maya 2023 and for the most part the driver works flawlessly. I have had 0 crashes of Maya since using this version of the driver :)

The only issue that keeps coming back is that over time viewport/camera translation/movement becomes laggy. It starts stuttering while moving, and over time the lag becomes more and more noticeable, to the point where the viewport will run at 1FPS or less (and will keep moving for seconds after I let go of the SpaceMouse knob). I initially thought it was an issue with my scenes being too complex or something, and my system not being able to handle it. But when the SpaceMouse movement is unbearably slow, if I move my camera in the old fashioned way, with the regular mouse, it is perfectly smooth, every time. When the viewport gets laggy I don't see anything taking up a large amount of resources in the MacOS Activity Monitor or anything.

The complexity of scenes doesn't matter, I can work on super high res 3D scans, or a simple 6 faced cube, both will lag like crazy when it gets to this point, but will be perfectly smooth with regular camera translation. Neither do viewport display settings change anything.

Restarting Maya doesn't help. Turning the SpaceMouse off and on doesn't help. Plugging the SpaceMouse in through USB doesn't help. The ONLY thing that 100% fixes the issue is rebooting the iMac.
After a reboot it will all work fine for days. But after a few days of work it will slowly start lagging again, slight lag at first, which gradually gets worse and worse until it's not workable anymore. A Mac Reboot fixes it again.

Curious is too that if the Maya viewport lags like crazy, I can open other software, like Blender or even the driver demo's, and there will be 0 issues there. It works perfectly fine. I don't work with Blender enough to have noticed if it will do the same thing over time in there, though.

I made a screen recording that demonstrates the issue, in the video I am either using the regular mouse (when the cursor is visible in the scene), actively moving the SpaceMouse (when the mouse cursor is in the dark Toolkit bar on the right), or not doing anything at all, waiting for SM movement to catch up (mouse still in Toolkit bar). So moments where nothing at all seems to happen, the lag got to the point where no movement was visible at all, I let go and wait and it finishes the movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_J2uZUVIq0

I hope this provides enough information for you guys to look into it. If not, feel free to ask me more questions.
It's time to roll the dice...