Driver not ALLOWed to run in MacBook Ventura

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

mlenox

Driver not ALLOWed to run in MacBook Ventura

Post by mlenox »

This problem has been around for two years (as mentioned repeatedly in the thread, "Spacemouse driver not working in Ventura"). After running the installation for 3DxWare (now ver 1.7.4) and restarting the MacBook, when 3DConnexion app is started, Mac OS pops up a window saying, "The 3Dconnexion system software is not allowed to load." The pop-up goes on to instruct the user to open "Privacy & Security" in settings, find an entry for 3Dconnexion and click "Allow". This is pretty standard for MacBook installs. EXCEPT, there is no entry for 3Dconnexion under Privacy & Security"! Have reinstalled 3Dconnexion driver many, many times with variations of deleting all 3DC files, stopping Gateway, etc. No luck. Obviously many others have had the same problem with Ventura. BTW, my problem started after my machine was wiped during a repair by Apple. Before that, my 3DC app worked fine.

It is way past time for 3Dconnexion to resolve this.
ngomes

Re: Driver not ALLOWed to run in MacBook Ventura

Post by ngomes »

mlenox wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:57 am Before that, my 3DC app worked fine.
[...]
It is way past time for 3Dconnexion to resolve this.
We would if we knew what's wrong with our software but, as far as we can tell, we're following the documentation on how to install a system extension.

Some systems get into this "stuck" state and we just don't have the information what's causing it. It appears to be some sort of system failure or corruption but that's only an educated guess.

Another possibility is device management tools such as Jamf blocking the installation of the system extension. We have discussed this before here.
Nuno Gomes
K1LLD0Z3R04

Post by K1LLD0Z3R04 »

same here, i've given up on it. its stuck and doesn't seem to be able to be fixed in any way. i spend at least 20h trying to fix it, ended up with terminal in safe mode to wipe away all thats left of the software and do an clean install. Still stuck, doesn't work. Can't get any buttons or the software to work.

Is there ANYTHING we can do to help 3Dconnexion figure out the problem?
My problems started when upgrading to Ventura.
I bought another mouse with buttons now, otherwise its to frustrating using Bleder or Fusion. But still, theres so many buttons missing on left hand :(
mlenox

Post by mlenox »

Quickly, I got the 3DC driver ALLOWed! My MacBook is a 2018 Intel. First, I used Mac OS Recovery mode -->Utilities-->Security Utility to drop the security level of my machine. (Not sure if the security change is necessary). What finally seemed to make a difference though was this. Once, while I had 3Dconnexion Home running and showing the screen saying I needed to "[go to] Privacy & Security and click ALLOW", with this screen up, I started another install of the 3Dconnexion driver. The installer went through the normal process of requiring passwords but then ... it hung. I could not get it to stop. Could not force Quit. As a last ditch effort, I held down the power (fingerprint) button until the MacBook restarted. During the reboot, another dialog popped up saying 3Dconnexion needed to be Allowed ... but this one was different from others I had seen. I checked Privacy & Security panel and there was the missing ALLOW button for 3DC! Clicked it and everything has worked since. I have no idea if this will work for others. May also be risky since it involves rebooting your Mac while you are in the middle of a failed software installation. Try at your own risk. Good luck!
K1LLD0Z3R04

Post by K1LLD0Z3R04 »

mlenox wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:29 pm Quickly, I got the 3DC driver ALLOWed! My MacBook is a 2018 Intel. First, I used Mac OS Recovery mode -->Utilities-->Security Utility to drop the security level of my machine. (Not sure if the security change is necessary). What finally seemed to make a difference though was this. Once, while I had 3Dconnexion Home running and showing the screen saying I needed to "[go to] Privacy & Security and click ALLOW", with this screen up, I started another install of the 3Dconnexion driver. The installer went through the normal process of requiring passwords but then ... it hung. I could not get it to stop. Could not force Quit. As a last ditch effort, I held down the power (fingerprint) button until the MacBook restarted. During the reboot, another dialog popped up saying 3Dconnexion needed to be Allowed ... but this one was different from others I had seen. I checked Privacy & Security panel and there was the missing ALLOW button for 3DC! Clicked it and everything has worked since. I have no idea if this will work for others. May also be risky since it involves rebooting your Mac while you are in the middle of a failed software installation. Try at your own risk. Good luck!
ookey... .thats intresting stuff here! Thanks for sharing your experience!
to be sure what u did:
1. Have current driver installed, but not working due the everlasting pop up (CURRENT STATE for me)
2. Start up Mac until the Pop up appears
3. Start the same driver intsaller for same version of currently installed driver?
4. Wait until it freezes or stops somehow
5. Do an Hard restart via power button.
6. After restarting the option to allow it was there?

so u could start the installer even if it was already installed? until which window did the process go exactly? do u remember?

i need to get it running, i cant use my mouse like that. its the most expensive brick i own currently.
mlenox

Post by mlenox »

That is what I did. The pop-up had come up from trying to start the 3DC Home application. I had killed it previously. With that app and the "you must allow" pop-up still on the screen, I started the same installer for the same driver. In the middle of the installation, it hung (not obviously, just doesn't proceed for a long time). I tried to stop it gracefully but could not QUIT it. I finally did the hard power restart. When I got the pop-up to "allow" during boot-up, the "ALLOW" button was in the Privacy & Security panel.
K1LLD0Z3R04

Post by K1LLD0Z3R04 »

i can't get it working, my Mac doesn't freeze during install while the home app is open with the message to allow it.

How did lower the security level in recovery mode? from what to what exaclty?
Maybe thats the missing point at my side.
mlenox

Post by mlenox »

I followed the video this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOrANuPJH_k. Note that the process she describes is for Apple processors. Mine is Intel and the final screen for clicking on the security level is different.
K1LLD0Z3R04

Post by K1LLD0Z3R04 »

Hello Mienox,

ah thats something i already tried after getting Ventura as an first try, exact same settings at the end like she is using. i'm also M1 Max, not Intel, didnt help anything, i also removed the kernel extensions via revery mode completely using the terminal. And clean install... everything ends the same.
The problem is clearly at the 3D Connexion software i would say. no other software has any issue for me. I have for example Logitech mouse with same function to assign buttons at specific apps like Blender. worked since Day 1 Ventura. Now it's December and my 300€ mouse is still a useless brick.
Support doesn't help, doesn't answer, doesn't care. I called them once, and for sure, not a second time in my life.
The support guy reminded me at a song from Devil Driver where i goes like "... i couldn't care less... "
The forum here's is also pretty dead somehow :/ very little help and support, so more then thanks to you for sharing some things that helped on your side!

but hey, maybe 2024 could be the time for an new driver... where nothing has changed :)
tiieto

Post by tiieto »

You need to read the Release Notes...

There you will find a list of supported Operating Systems...
MacOS Ventura isn´t listed in there, so the driver don't support it, jet...

I want to update to Ventura too, but until there is no driver for my SpaceMouse Enterprise available, i hold on Monterey...

Kind Regards...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

tiieto wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:53 am MacOS Ventura isn´t listed in there, so the driver don't support it, jet...
Ventura is supported. We finished testing last week using v. 10.7.4 (the currently released driver). There were no issues specific to the new operating system.

The release notes will be updated this week to reflect the official support status of macOS 13 ("Ventura").
K1LLD0Z3R04

Post by K1LLD0Z3R04 »

ngomes wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:16 am
tiieto wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:53 am MacOS Ventura isn´t listed in there, so the driver don't support it, jet...
Ventura is supported. We finished testing last week using v. 10.7.4 (the currently released driver). There were no issues specific to the new operating system.

The release notes will be updated this week to reflect the official support status of macOS 13 ("Ventura").
great that you call it "supported" but provide no help to those were its definitely not working, it stopped exactly with installing Ventura.
So at least in my case, i'm more then dissapointed by 3DConnexion the fact you simple do not care about it.
The software is a disaster as long as i use Mac. and thats a long time.
i would never buy again any product from 3Dconnexion.
DonaldGreens

Post by DonaldGreens »

I have the same problem! I think everywhere and always there will be bugs, the main thing is that they do not cause significant damage to the system!
4Square

Post by 4Square »

I'm kicking myself now; I wish I had never upgraded to Ventura from Monterey.

I came here hoping there was a solution to make my Space Mouse work with Apple's new OS. But Nope!
krishowes

Post by krishowes »

Same problem here.

When do you think we will have an update so we have our Space Mouse working again under Ventura? Badly needed update!

Happy to help with testing...

Im running...
2019 Intel MBP 2.3 - 8 Core
64gb Ram
Ventura 13.1