3D mouse not working in Sketchup 2023 with latest 10.8.0 update

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

MickHealey

3D mouse not working in Sketchup 2023 with latest 10.8.0 update

Post by MickHealey »

It seems there is an issue with 10.8.0, as detailed below. Anyone else having this issue?

I’ve installed 10.8.0, rebooted my system, allowed 3dConnexion in Security & Privacy. Now my Spacemouse Enterprise isn’t working in Sketchup (cannot manipulate a model using the Spacemouse Enterprise cap).

I can force it to work as follows, but the fix doesn’t persist, so exiting and restarting Sketchup gets me back to a non-working Spacemouse Enterprise.

Workaround:
In Sketchup, launch Ruby Console.
Type: load “3dxSketchup.rb”
Ruby Console responds with ’=> True’
Now the Spacemouse works. It doesn’t seem to care if the “3dxSketchup” plugin is set to enabled or disabled.

BUT, if I quit Sketchup, then relaunch, the Spacemouse doesn’t work. I need to do the Ruby Console trick again.

I have a 2017 iMac 27, 5K Retina. I’m running macOS Montery version 12.6 and Sketchup Pro version 23.0.396
MickHealey

Re: 3D mouse not working in Sketchup 2023 with latest 10.8.0 update

Post by MickHealey »

I've just spent another 4 hours today trying to get 10.8.0 to work with Sketchup 2023. It doesn't.
As I explained in my earlier post, I can force the Spacemouse Enterprise to work by using Ruby Console. But this only works for the current session, until I quit Sketchup.

COULD ONE OF THE MODERATORS PLEASE RESPOND. AM I THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS ISSUE? ARE YOU WORKING ON A FIX?

In Sketchup'S "Extension Manager", the 3DxSketchup extension says it is signed. However, 'Version:', 'Author:', 'Copyright' and 'Description' fields are all blank. If I type 'Load "3dxsketchup.rb" in ruby console, then these fields are populated as follows:
Version: 5.4.0
Author: 3DConnexion
Copyright: c 2006-2022 3D Connexion. All rights reserved.
Description: 3Dconnexion extension for Sketchup (3DxSketchup).

[img]file:///Users/mick_healey/Pictures/Screenshots/Screenshot%202023-04-06%20at%2020.12.31.png[/img]
slbaumgartner

Post by slbaumgartner »

Huh...I installed 10.8.0 and it works fine for me in SketchUp 2023.0.396. I have only a space navigator, not enterprise, but it would seem strange if that is the problem. I have a 2019 MBP 16" running Ventura 13.3.1
MickHealey

Post by MickHealey »

Thank you for the reply @slbaumgartner. It's good to know that you have it working.

I have recently bought myself a Mac Mini M2 Pro, which is running Ventura 13.0. I also still have my original iMac 2017 5K Retina which is running Monterey 12.6. Since licenses allow, I have just installed Sketchup Pro and 3DxWare 10.8.0 on the Mini. My Spacemouse Enterprise works fine with this configuration. Not really surprising, since 3DConnexion previously told me that they do all their testing on Mac Minis only.

So now I have Sketchup 23.0.396 running on both machines, and both with 3DConnexion 10.8.0

The differences between the 2 machines are: (a) different releases of macOS and (b) different Mac hardware.
I guess there is also a possibility of some issue with my Sketchup and/or 3DxWare installations on the iMac.

My plan of action for the 2017 iMac:
1) Uninstall Sketchup and 3DConnexion. Then reinstall both.

If this doesn't work:

2) Upgrade to macOS Ventura
MickHealey

Post by MickHealey »

So the nightmare continues...

Uninstalled 3DConnexion driver and Sketchup.
Reinstalled both from scratch.
Still not working as originally reported on my iMac 2017 5K version running macOS 12.6 Monterey, Sketchup Pro 2023, 3DxWare driver 10.8.0

Upgraded the iMac to macOS Ventura 13.3.1.
Exactly the same issue as originally reported.

This was all working fine before Sketchup 2023, then it broke because 3DxWare driver needed an update. New driver 10.8.0 doesn't work with my combination of hardware, software and macOS.

I'm going to raise a ticket.

I'm not happy.
MickHealey

Post by MickHealey »

I fixed it.

I can only assume that one or more Sketchup file(s) somehow got corrupted along the way. I did a full manual uninstall of Sketchup, as detailed in the Sketchup Help Center. This removes all traces of Sketchup from the system.

After re-installing Sketchup 2023, and the 3DConnexion plugin, I thought I still had the same issue. I quit the Sketchup application, launched it again and BINGO the Spacemouse Enterprise is now working as it should. The Sketchup extension manager now correctly reports the version, author, copyright and description details for the 3DxSketchup extension. It never did this before.