Maya 2013

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

Vainlord

Maya 2013

Post by Vainlord »

Hi!

Is there any plans to improve the maya 2013 plugin in terms of customization of the settings within Maya (for the space navigator). I find Modo 601 to offer your more settings ?

The PC driver offers a lot more in Maya 2013 if I'm not mistaken ?

Thanx!
ngomes

Re: Maya 2013

Post by ngomes »

Hi Vainlord,

What version of 3DxMacWare you have installed? The latest builds have a plug-in for Maya on OS X that has the same feature set as the Windows edition.
Vainlord

Post by Vainlord »

Hi i have 1.7.1 installed which i believe is the latest.

Is there any other settings then the ones i can access from the pressing the left button on the SN ?

When in object mode it seems just about every axis is inverted ? Is there a way to change that ?

The settings panels in Mode seems to offer a lot more settings compared to Maya ?

Thanx!
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi Vainlord -

The options that control your Space Navigator in Modo are part of the Modo software while in Maya the options are part of the 3Dconnexion software. The 3d navigation in Modo is developed by Luxology - it does not need a 3Dconnexion add-in as Maya does.

If you open the 3Dconnexion Preferences window with Maya open you can make changes to your Maya profile. You can, for instance, switch the zoom direction.

If you switch to the opposite zoom direction, that also changes the spin and roll axis directions.

The two zoom directions represent different view orientations - desktop view and screen view. The one that looks correct to you depends on whether you are viewing a model in relation to the desktop plane or the screen plane.

It is possible to work with axis directions individually on the Advanced tab. If you make changes then want to return to the Maya defaults, there is a 'Use Defaults' button at the bottom of the Device tab.
----------------
Barbara
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Vainlord,

regarding the inverted axis, please have a look at the pop up menu (within Maya) and make sure, that you are not in "Camera Mode" or "Target Camera Mode".
It may feel like inverted axis, especially if you're expecting the behavior to be "Object Mode". If it is "Object Mode" please try select one of the camera modes and switch back to "Object Mode". Did this help?

If there is still no change: You have more control via the "System Preferences" and the "3Dconnexion" driver panel.
Please select the configuration for "Maya" and have a look at the "Advanced" tab in there: Is the "Reversed" checkmark set for any axis (by default none should be checked)?
Please try to un-/check "Reversed" for some axis and see the results in Maya (you need to click "OK" to apply your changes). Do you see an effect in Maya, are the axis still inverted?

One last try may be to remove the preference files of the 3Dconnexion driver from your user's Library folder. Prior doing so, please close your "System Preferences".
If you made some modifications to your configurations or created a custom config, also make sure to backup these files.
The files are:
com.3dconnexion.driver.prefs
com.3dconnexion.driver.stuff
com.3dconnexion.macros.plist

Now open up the "3Dconnexion" preferences ("System Preferences") again and select the "Maya" configuration - did anything change?
Anyway, please open Maya again and see if something has changed!

Can you please tell me the your OS version and machine (configuration) you're working with?
Please let me know if any of the above helped or what effect you experienced!

Regards,

Christian Robl
Vainlord

Post by Vainlord »

Thanx everyone, for the suggestions and the explanations!

My systems:
Imac 27"
I7 2,8GHZ
16GB Ram
OSX 10.7.4
Maya 2013

Let my clarify, my choice of wording was unfortunate.

What i mean is that i want "object mode" in maya to behave the same as "camera target mode" when it comes to axis movement.

But maybe the difference between "object mode" and "camera target mode" is only the axis movement ?

If i change the axis in the drivers panel (system preferences) it changes universally and not only for "object mode", so when i switch to "camera/camera target mode" they are now inverted.

Thanx!

Regards
Paul L.
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Paul,

thank you for your information.
I think for your issue you can leave the driver panel settings as they are.

Do I understand you correct that your expectation are:
In "object mode" you push the 3D Mouse cap to the left and the object moves left.
And in "(target)camera mode" expect the same, but your object/scene moves to the opposite side?

The behaviour of the object/scene is actually correct:
As the mode name says, in "object mode" your are controlling (moving, etc.) the object and you look at this object through a camera fixed in a place looking in a certain direction - your object or scenery.

In the camera modes you're controlling (moving, etc) the camera and the object is fixed and you are moving the camera. So if you look at your object/scene through your camera and move it left, the object/scene moves right.

Regards,

Christian Robl
Vainlord

Post by Vainlord »

Yes that is correct, thanx for the explanation!

I guess it takes sometime for me to get used to object mode! :-)

Regards
Paul L.
crobl

Post by crobl »

Hi Paul,

good to year I could help! :)

Well, I think you can use the mode which is appropriate for your current work:
For example a "city scene". If you manipulate a building in you would most probably select "Object mode".
If you want to render your result you may want to place your camera into the street or wherever you like and use on of the two camera modes.
Or you use the camera mode to fly through your streets/scenery an take keyframes ...

If you have suggestions for improvements, feature requests or find a bug (of course, there is none! :mrgreen:), please let us know!

Regards,

Christian Robl
vixolux

Post by vixolux »

Greetings,

I am unable to use the SpaceNavigator on Maya 2013 under OS 10.7.5.

I checked the plugin manager and found that 3DxMaya.bundle wasn't checked. When I checked it, it gave me the following errors in the Script Editor window:

// Error: //
// Error: Line 0.38: "$gMagellanMoveMode" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: Line 0.46: "$gMagellanRotationMode" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: Line 0.38: "$g3DxSuspendMotion" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: Line 0.44: "$gMagellanDisableRoll" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: Line 0.42: "$gMagellan3DViewLock" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: Line 0.48: "$gMagellanObjectControl" is an undeclared variable. //
// Error: Line 0.62: "$gbMagellanEnableMotionCapture" is an undeclared variable. //
// Warning: line 1: waitCursor stack empty //
// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "_3DxOnDeviceChanged". //

Trying to use the SpaceNavigator after doing this results in the following messages:

// Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "_3DxOnMotionEvent". //

Trying Maya 2012 on the same machine, I have no problems. The Spacenavigator works fine.

I have updated to the latest driver from your site after encountering this error and it did not fix the problem.

Here is what the Plug-In information file says in Maya 2013:

Path: /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/2013/plug-ins/3DxMaya.bundle
Vendor: 3Dconnexion
Plug-in version: 1.0
For API version: 201300
Auto load: No
Is Loaded: Yes

Plug-in Features

Commands:
_3DxAssignButton
_3DxButtonLabels
_3DxCenterOfRotation
_3DxDeviceType
_3DxHelp
_3DxMappingLabel
_3DxNumberOfButtons
_3DxPopupMenu
_3DxRunTimeCommand
_3DxUnassignButton
_3DxViewSet

Hope someone can help. I really do like using the Spacenavigator!

Thanks,
Vik
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Vik -

The 3Dconnexion plug-in in Maya depends on the command MagellanStartup being executed by the usersetup.mel.

Type "MagellanStartup" [without quotes,case-sensitive ] at the Maya command line.

If navigation starts when you type "MagellanStartup" at the command prompt but is not auto-starting, that would indicate that another instance of usersetup.mel is being used. When another script is installed it can overwrite the 3Dconnexion usersetup.mel.To have the 3DxMaya plug-in auto-start you will need to add the MagellanStartup; line to the end of the active usersetup.mel.
------------
Barbara
chsang

Post by chsang »

Hello Vik,

I am working on a Window 7 64-bit machine x Maya 2013
This is my solution:

You have to edit this script:
GoZBrushToMaya.mel

This is it's address on my machine:
C:\Users\Public\Pixologic\GoZApps\Maya\GoZBrushToMaya.mel

Open it in Notepad.

At the end of thís script I added:
magellanstartup;

The end of this script now looks like this:
-------------------------------
{
printDebug(" Reading object " + $objectPath + " ...");
importGoZObject($objectPath);
}

// Clears the GoZ objects list.
$fileId = `fopen $objectListFile "w"`;
fclose $fileId;
magellanstartup;
-------------------------------

All the best,
Feng
vixolux

Post by vixolux »

Hi Barbara and Chsang,

Appreciate the tips. I did indeed locate the "MagellanStartup.mel" script and sourced it. Now the 3d Navigator is working again. It seems that for some reason, Maya 2013 is not loading the script from the /Users/Shared/Autodesk/maya/scripts directory as prior versions of Maya did. That directory is there for scripts that are intended to work between different versions of Maya.

Thanks for your help!

-Vik