Spacenavigator different rotation pivots in Maya2011/2012

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

THExDUKE

Spacenavigator different rotation pivots in Maya2011/2012

Post by THExDUKE »

Hello community

ive updated my drivers yesterday and finally installed it on 2012 but I found out that my rotation pivot is different in 2011 than in 2012.

Here´s a little demo of what Im talking about...

http://youtu.be/RyOFxPUAahU

Although there is one option differently in 2012 in the menu, it does not work.
Barbara

Re: Spacenavigator different rotation pivots in Maya2011/201

Post by Barbara »

Hello xduke -

The behavior of the rotation point depends on whether the 'Auto' setting is on.

The first time you open Maya 2012 with the 3DxMaya add-in installed there is a 3DMouseNews window that opens inside Maya. This window shows the pop-up menu that opens when you click the left Space Navigator button in Maya.

Check the Rotation Center option in the pop-up menu.

If Auto is selected, the volume center of the model in view is used as the rotation point. As you zoom in, the rotation point changes to the center of the view.

You can un-check Auto and set your Rotation Center manually.

If you are not seeing the pop-up menu, check the button mapping.
The default mapping for the left button should be 'pop-up' or 'application pop-up'.

Is the option that is different one in the Maya 2012 menu or in the 3Dconnexion settings ? In the video I didn't see the 3Dconnexion options.
----------------
Barbara
THExDUKE

Post by THExDUKE »

Oh thanks a lot for the reply.
Ill have to check that out. Some additional quick questions: What is the exact filepath where it is installed? Which file will be installed? and
what is the latest plugin verision, assuming I can see the version in the pluginmanager within Maya when the plugin is loaded and I click on the small "i" ?

thanks in advance...
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello xduke -

In the Maya 2012 Settings|Preferences|Plug-In Manager you should see 3DxMaya.bundle listed.

The 3DxMaya add-in files are located in 2 folders.

The 3DxMaya.bundle is in Users-->Shared-->Autodesk-->maya-->2012-->plug-ins

The MEL scripts are located in Users-->Shared-->Autodesk-->maya-->scripts :
C3DxButtonEditor.mel C3DxControlPanel.mel C3DxMapping.mel MagellanStartup.mel usersetup.mel

The 3DxMaya add-in version is 4.1.1.

Since the Space Navigator is working in Maya 2012, that indicates the add-in is installed. Running the 3Dx installation software [3Dxwaremac_1.7.1.dmg] with Maya 2012 closed installs the add-in.

The 3DMouseNews window has a check box 'Show on startup' that can be un-checked so that it does not open each time you open Maya. If you have re-mapped the Space Navigator buttons , the 'Use defaults' button at the bottom of the button mapping tab in the 3Dconnexion Preferences panel will re-connect the pop-up menu to the left button. From the pop-up menu 'Customize buttons' opens the button mapping editor inside Maya 2012.

With a Space Navigator you would usually want to leave the left button mapped to the pop-up menu for the navigation options. To map the right button for use in Maya 2012 you would need to use the 'Customize buttons' editor.
-------------------
Barbara