No Google earth support? DECEPTIVE

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

jeb20

No Google earth support? DECEPTIVE

Post by jeb20 »

I'm sorry but the burdon is on the manufacturur to provide information about what their product does and does not work with. Sure, buried in the driver section it shows that SN will not work with GE on the mac yet but come on man, put it on the home page. Otherwise, it makes me think that the omission is intentional.

Even in your configuration wizard on the mac it shows a video of google earth. Explain that.

I am not one of those people that will threaten to return or never use the product. I will wait for the update in APRIL while feeling like I just got it in the a** from you guys.

But know this, The way you have your whole thing set up is shady. If you can't provide clear and prominent information on your home page, I will think twice before purchasing any of your products in the future.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hi jeb20:

I want to tell you sincerely that I appreciate your candid feedback. One of our current areas of focus is how to better convey information to our end users, and this type of feedback, while sometimes hard to hear, is very important and valuable.

I have to apologize personally, and once again, for the delay in the Google Earth for Mac solution. We might have committed an error in showing the demostration too early, sincerely believing that it could be made available sooner -- and as such, also included pictures of it in our installation, as we do on the Windows side.

Please do not feel -- as you put it -- like you "just got it in the a**." We will make good, and we take to heart your comments about clear and prominent information on the website. That feedback rings very seriously with us -- we certainly don't want to be thought of as "shady" as we are anything but that!

Thank you,

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
jeb20

Post by jeb20 »

Hey man, thanks for that. And I do apologise for being vulgar. Honestly, I did not expect a response. It's just one of those things. You have a killer product on your hands and a bunch of mac heads that are hopping out of their seats waiting to use it.

Your reply tells me that 3dconnexion is a company that actually does listen to it's customers. A far cry from a lot of other companies. I don't regret my purchase at all now and can't wait to use SN When the drivers are ready.

thanks again for giving us the low down.

jeb20

znissan wrote:Hi jeb20:

I want to tell you sincerely that I appreciate your candid feedback. One of our current areas of focus is how to better convey information to our end users, and this type of feedback, while sometimes hard to hear, is very important and valuable.

I have to apologize personally, and once again, for the delay in the Google Earth for Mac solution. We might have committed an error in showing the demostration too early, sincerely believing that it could be made available sooner -- and as such, also included pictures of it in our installation, as we do on the Windows side.

Please do not feel -- as you put it -- like you "just got it in the a**." We will make good, and we take to heart your comments about clear and prominent information on the website. That feedback rings very seriously with us -- we certainly don't want to be thought of as "shady" as we are anything but that!

Thank you,

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
RemcoKou

News on the Google Earth compatible drivers?

Post by RemcoKou »

Hi, just received my SpaceNavigator, but unfortunately it wont work in Google Earth on my Mac. Any news on the timing of the required drivers?
tino

Post by tino »

On March 6, Ziva Nissan wrote:
We will make good, and we take to heart your comments about clear and prominent information on the website. That feedback rings very seriously with us -- we certainly don't want to be thought of as "shady" as we are anything but that!
... but here we are 25 days later, and as near as I can tell, there's no information anywhere on the 3Dconnexion website (aside from customer complaints in these forums) that hints at the fact that the SpaceNavigator does not yet work with Google Earth on the Mac.

I want to believe that, as you say, 3Dconnexion takes this seriously -- but actions speak louder than words.
lmop

Post by lmop »

I don't think the delay to Google Earth has anything at all to do with 3Dconnexion.

When it comes to third-party application support, 3Dconnexion have been very consistent in their responses on this forum: if you want application X to support the SpaceNavigator, contact the product's software developers and request it directly.

3Dconnexion have no control over the application themselves; they just supply a Software Developer Kit (SDK) that can be integrated with the product so that it can then understand how the SpaceNavigator is being physically manipulated. 3Dconnexion will also provide whatever support they can should the third-party run into any difficulties. The only software 3Dconnexion has control over are the drivers and these just tell your computer how to talk to that strange new USB device you just plugged in. (It also allows you to tweak the sensitivity of the device.) The drivers have nothing to do with specific application support.

So, Google Earth doesn't support the SpaceNavigator on Mac OS X. The standard response would normally be: "Please contact Google". But no-one's saying that because, as everyone knows, there's no need to. Google Earth has been seen running on Mac OS X with SpaceNavigator support. So where is it? It's stuck in Google's Mac development/QA cycle, that's where. 3Dconnexion hasn't given an exact date when Google Earth will support the SpaceNavigator because it's not up to them. It's also not good form to blame other companies whose shipping date slips, particularly if you need their continued product support and especially if it's a company as big and influential as Google. (What would the addition and then removal of SpaceNavigator support from Google Earth/SketchUp say to all the other companies you would like to have support from?)

As for the demo (I'm speculating a bit here but I believe it's highly likely), Mac OS X support for Google Earth was in the pipeline and 3Dconnexion wanted a simple but impressive demo to show at a trade show. Google Earth fits that description nicely and so politely asked for a prerelease copy. Google would get free publicity and so agree - under the proviso that the software is recognised as being a preliminary version, that it is only for use at the trade show and that the actual public release will be "when it's ready". The only "mistake" 3Dconnexion made was demo'ing prerelease software at a public venue and using Google Earth in their Mac OS X publicity materials - although they no doubt had every reason to believe that Google Earth would be updated on Mac OS X in a relatively short timeframe.

If you grep around in the Google Earth package contents, there is no SpaceNavigator support. A few mentions of 3Dconnexion's other multi-axis products and Windows support but nothing about Mac OS X support. The Google Earth you have doesn't have "hidden" functionality that can just be turned on with a configuration tweak or driver setting. You're going to have to download a new version of Google Earth to get SpaceNavigator support and you're going to have to download it from Google, not 3Dconnexion.

The above is completely consistent with what is said (and unsaid) in this apology:
znissan wrote:I have to apologize personally, and once again, for the delay in the Google Earth for Mac solution. We might have committed an error in showing the demostration too early, sincerely believing that it could be made available sooner -- and as such, also included pictures of it in our installation, as we do on the Windows side.
Sorry to say it but we're just going to have to wait for Google Earth to be updated by Google. Moaning about the slipping release date on these forums won't make the slightest bit of difference because it's not in 3Dconnexion's power to do anything about it.
seacrets

Post by seacrets »

Since I am a GE Pro user I have sent an email to Google support asking for a new release of the mac app with support for 3dconnexion devices. I hope this tiny sand grain can help. I would also like to encourage all users to do the same.

Good luck

Francisco
EMoeller

Post by EMoeller »

In response to imop, I don't believe this to be the case. For example the recently released announced support for Adobe CS3 requires a special download from 3dconnexion that is not yet posted (see thread page 4 from OSX Update - where they offer to send it to you if you request it).

I also had the opportunity to go to Google last week (regarding GE) and no one there could confirm the existance of the Mac driver (but I obviously didn't canvas everyone). Note that I did use SpaceNavigator at MacWorld on GE, but I cannot confirm that that demo wasn't on a virtualized version of GE for PC running on a Mac.

No I think in the end there must still be some work involved at 3dconnexion before the GE driver is available. I suspect they, like everyone else, has been scrambling to get VISTA drivers out.

Regards, Eric
funcii

Re: No Google earth support? DECEPTIVE

Post by funcii »

I have to admit I am also angry about this scenario. I bought this device under the impression it was supported with Google Earth under OSX, because that's the impression the web site gives (in fact Google Earth was my WHOLE REASON for getting it).

Now I find that it ISN'T supported.

I'm really thoroughly p*ssed off about this and feel I've been misled.

Now I just have an attractively-illuminated £45 paperweight... great :-/

If you want my opinion 3dconnexion had better nip this in the bud because this is the sort of thing that can really damage a reputation.

--
nounyx

Better than nothing

Post by nounyx »

I look around me and I can see a lot of love, no really my point is if you think deeply about this issue, it's quite simple Spacenav was made for PC applications first and after some time they are actually contacting almost all 3d application to ask them to support Mac OS too...

So If they were so Shady etc etc they wouldn't do that, and firstable if it's taking some more delay it's just because of 3d applications and Google are too busy or lazy to do it fast...

Anyway if you are rich enough to have a Mac :idea: well sell it, buy a PC and enjoy Google Earth and fly through...
Who can make himself a beast can get ride off beeing a man.
prune

Post by prune »

Hi,

OK, let's say 3Dconnexion do its best to have all 3D (and more I hope) applications supported on Mac.
but WHY do they sell their product as already working if it's not ?
Isn't is so difficult to warn that no mac application is supported at this time (and when I say NO, it's because 2 application means nothing) ?

Thanks for your quote, but the better they do, we can't blame other company for selling us a product that does not fit the advertisement !
--
Prune
JohnK2

network connection and tdxInit OK. clientid=8197

Post by JohnK2 »

I have a SpaceNavigator PE (Driver 1.0.2/Firmware 3.17) working/not working with google apps SketchUp 6 (6.0.313) Free version and Earth depening on where I am running them from. If I start the computer with no network connection, Sketchup will not see the SpaceNavigator.

At work behind a corporate firewall (ports 80 and 443 open) it will not work, All the drivers load and the demos/buttons work (except for QTVR). The google apps will work with my trackball fine, the SpaceNavigator is not connecting to the google apps.

When the 3DxSketchup Plugin initializes
and I get the message 'tdxInit OK. clientid=8197' it works,
if I don't get the message it will not work.

Console Log (not working):

3DxSketchup Plug-in: [74] Initializing...
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [94] 3Dconnexion device init OK? 1
3DxSketchup Plug-in: active model not available
2007-04-05 10:13:44.524 3DxSketchUpHelper[251] #3DxSketchUpHelper#[34] imgPath=/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin/Contents/MacOS/3DxSketchUpHelper.app/Contents/Resources/banner.jpg
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [113] Initialization complete.
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
2007-04-05 10:13:45.044 SketchUp[250] Could not find image named 'LWD3'.
2007-04-05 10:13:45.113 SketchUp[250] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<TSController>). Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command

Console Log (working):

3DxSketchup Plug-in: [74] Initializing...
tdxInit OK. clientid=8197
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [94] 3Dconnexion device init OK? 1
2007-04-04 18:14:20.623 3DxSketchUpHelper[344] #3DxSketchUpHelper#[34] imgPath=/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.bundle.plugin/Contents/MacOS/3DxSketchUpHelper.app/Contents/Resources/banner.jpg
3DxSketchup Plug-in: [113] Initialization complete.
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
2007-04-04 18:14:21.195 SketchUp[343] Could not find image named 'LWD3'.
2007-04-04 18:14:21.266 SketchUp[343] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<TSController>). Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command
free_Command

Does the 3DSketchup Plugin require an open network connection?
ricardopicam

Deceptive Indeed

Post by ricardopicam »

I, too, did not see anyplace on the Web site where it said that the Mac version was not compatible with Google Earth. Just received my unit today and thought that something was wrong with my system. While I don't think that you meant to be deceptive, you do your customers a disservice by not posting this glaring limitation prominently on the Web site. You need to post something like, "Google Earth for Mac Support Coming." Guess I'm going to have to wait, but right now, I'm not very happy with 3DConnexion.
andyrowe

Post by andyrowe »

Works great with SketchUp......still waiting, impatiently, for Google Earth support.....the only reason I bought the product!! It's APRIL, and it worked in January...what gives???
Unhappy Customer!
Andy
tutt

Post by tutt »

Practicing my flying and navigating in SketchUP 6.0.313. Although I purchased the Space Navigator primarily for SketchUp, and Adobe CS3, I also was disappointed that the Google Earth for Mac thing has been going on so long. I had no idea. Just purchased mine at Photoshop World Boston.

One question for those of you that saw it at MacWorld in January...was it running on a Mac using BootCamp or Parallels but actually in XP???
Or would that make a difference?