Current list of applications supported on Mac OS X

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

ettore

Current list of applications supported on Mac OS X

Post by ettore »

Officially supported apps are listed here:
http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/ca ... up_app.php
http://www.3dconnexion.com/allsupportedapps/mac.php

Plus, the following apps have SpaceNavigator support; please let me know of any missing applications, all of these will hopefully be added to the master list above:

- OSCulator (as of v2.5).
- OsiriX (as of v3.0). Currently this is in preview stage, for Leopard only. [More info]
- Cheetah3D (as of v4.2)[More info]

Additionally, please note:

- QuickTime VR works with the SpaceNavigator only within the QuickTime Player.app shipped with Mac OS X.
- Google Earth (as of v4.1) supports the SpaceNavigator for OS X out of the box. Our 3DxMacWare v1.2.0 (and newer) driver also installs a config specifically tailored for Google Earth.
- Our devices are USB HID class devices so any app that works with the HID manager should be able to see them and make some use of them.
- An SDK is available: http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/4f.php
Last edited by ettore on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
EMoeller

Thanks

Post by EMoeller »

Thanks for the updated list of supported software - sure looks like a Windows world out there....

Eric
seacrets

Re: Thanks

Post by seacrets »

EMoeller wrote:Thanks for the updated list of supported software - sure looks like a Windows world out there....

Eric

hehehe absolutely. Now since Leopard has been delayed till October I hope this is not a problem to release new drivers/apps supporting space navigator.

BTW Mid april is already gone. Someone should tell us something about google earth. Whether it is ready or not, I think we deserve this information.

Regards
prune

Post by prune »

We are in May now, and still no new apps supported...
Moreover, still no news from anybody about shipping back the product...
--
Prune
peer

Post by peer »

Cheetah3d (one of the best 3d programs!) will have support in it's next version (4.2). Don't know yet when it will be out though. Anyway, check it out! www.cheetah3d.com

Regards,

Peer
prune

Post by prune »

Yeah, I will spend few months waiting for the new release, and a year to learn a new software that may not fullfil all my needs.
What a solution !
:)

It seems to me the solution is send back the SN to 3Dconnexion, stay with Cinema 4D (but i'll have a look to cheetah) and come back when more support is added (if it is :))

Thanks anyway.
--
Prune
ettore

Post by ettore »

prune wrote:Yeah, I will spend few months waiting for the new release, and a year to learn a new software that may not fullfil all my needs.
What a solution !
:)
Prune, I don't understand what you mean.
prune wrote:It seems to me the solution is send back the SN to 3Dconnexion, stay with Cinema 4D (but i'll have a look to cheetah) and come back when more support is added (if it is :))

Thanks anyway.
Cheetah developers added support, and we are grateful for that. I spotted a few bugs, but basic support is definitively there.

Some news: we are working with Blender lately, as you may have seen from blender developers mailing list (bf-committers). Soon enough (famous last words) there will be an experimental blender build available supporting our devices. And if you want to build it yourself, you already can.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
Buckie

Post by Buckie »

ettore wrote:Cheetah developers added support, and we are grateful for that. I spotted a few bugs, but basic support is definitively there.

Some news: we are working with Blender lately, as you may have seen from blender developers mailing list (bf-committers). Soon enough (famous last words) there will be an experimental blender build available supporting our devices. And if you want to build it yourself, you already can.
Blender, Cheetah???

Well at least the bedroom coders aren't to busy...

Do you guys actually approach companies re: this product or do you rely solely on them making the first move or there customers asking, seems like a mental business plan if this is so...
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello Buckie:

It is a combination of both. We have a very active business development department who along with our technical team meets with third-party vendors to help them support our devices. Customer requests are a very important part of that procedure. At the same time, our devices are quite popular, so many vendors approach us -- we give them the same time and consideration, as well as access to our developers for questions and help. If you look at our development forums as well as the supported applications page on our website, you will see quite good results even for 3D applications for Mac at this time, and are hopeful that this list will only increase in the future.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
jujubea

Post by jujubea »

Hello,

I understand it is diffucult to have SpaceNavigator running with all applications.
Is is planned, quickly, to handle SpaceNavigator with two major Mac OSX application : SAFARI and APERTURE
Is it 3DC's developpers to make this applications compatible with SpaceNavigator or is it Apple's developpers to the job ?
In the second case, it could take long time ...

Thank you.
prune

Post by prune »

You are asking the right question. If I understand well, 3DConnexion says it is the developper of the application which have to add support. But why would they spend time on this ? What will they get ?
Maybe one day if 50% of the users have a SN they will add support.

For now, i'm very supprised that 3DConnexion don't, at least, release a piece of software which would enable the SN to work with any application.
I know there is a tool (you have to purchase) to do this. But whatever, 3DC should release a free one on it's own with every SN !

More than 6 months have passed, there is no buzz around SN and of course no new app. (maybe 2 or 3 new apps, not the major ones).

I don't know what 3DC plain to do, but i'm affraid that the SN may get old before it is usable.
--
Prune
jujubea

Post by jujubea »

I wonder if "znissan" think it's developpers to include SN support in their applications ?
Is it planned ton include the software (name ?) that "prune" is talking about to support SN in every applications ?

Thanks for 3DC answer to this problem and solutions to improve SN support in a lot of applications.
Mechthild

Second Life + Mac + Space Navigator?

Post by Mechthild »

HI,

I do not find Second Life among the apps supported. I was at the SL conference in Chicago where it was demo'd + a 3Dconnex. guy said it worked with Mac (Don't have his card).

Any tip or experience how to set up or give up?
(Just bought the SpNav for SL only)

Thanks,
Mechthild
Mechthild Schmidt/SL Tilla Kronos
rossetantoine

A new application: OsiriX

Post by rossetantoine »

ettore

Re: A new application: OsiriX

Post by ettore »

rossetantoine wrote:http://www.osirix-viewer.com
checking this out right now :)